Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #29
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
your not the only one....I think the new era is the best looking on the market but alot hype lately with vararam and happy people.
Well, one thing is the New Era unit is a 100 bucks more than the Vararam at least if you use New Era's homepage price.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #30
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Well, one thing is the New Era unit is a 100 bucks more than the Vararam at least if you use New Era's homepage price.
I saw that, but wouldn't mind testing one. It's in my nature.

zero - I don't think you can call happy owners voicing their opinions hype. I don't recall seeing VR themselves posting anything recently.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #31
SSRS2010
SS/RSVIN04274

Drives: 2010 CAMARO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSA View Post
hey guys,

i have L99 with K&N and a magnaflow 3"

im considering swapping to Vararam or Newera

any recommendations?

and for tuning i only got the diablo trinity
I have a L99 Too and we put the Vararam and I Love it
SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #32
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I saw that, but wouldn't mind testing one. It's in my nature.

zero - I don't think you can call happy owners voicing their opinions hype. I don't recall seeing VR themselves posting anything recently.
Vararam was always hype on here from the begining. It`s been dead issue on here for many months and there were lots of unhappy people. However now a few have the new intake and there are now threads about how great it is and people are liking the intake. I am not putting it down or being sarcastic and I hope it is great and they have the bucking issue behind them but it`s still not tested independently by a unbiased tuner. I am considering a new intake and this is one of them but want to wait and see if any issues come up
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #33
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
Vararam was always hype on here from the begining. It`s been dead issue on here for many months and there were lots of unhappy people. However now a few have the new intake and there are now threads about how great it is and people are liking the intake. I am not putting it down or being sarcastic and I hope it is great and they have the bucking issue behind them but it`s still not tested independently by a unbiased tuner. I am considering a new intake and this is one of them but want to wait and see if any issues come up
I didn't know about the prior issues until after having the new one. At least I don't think I did. The word hype threw me, but I see what you are saying now. Since you are in the market for an intake, the only thing I can suggest is this. Since VR has the money back guarantee if you don't like it, at least try one.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #34
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
I`m just gonna wait a bit and see how yours works out as I also have solo high flow cats and am interested in the new vararam and the new improved new era but no reviews on here from that one yet.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #35
Gbusy06
Tap Out

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS A6 SGM
Picked up 3 tenths with Vararam at the track. Definately recommend it. Had it on my G8 and it picked up 2.5 tenths at the strip. They work!!! and look nice under the hood. I paid for mine as well.
Gbusy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #36
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I'm finding it very interesting that despite personal experiences with this intake (or any other performance mod, for that matter), people are insisting upon "independent testing" to confirm or deny the value of the product. I'm wondering what happened to value of personal experience and outright pleasure with the mod's performance as an indicator of value. Must everything boil down to numbers?
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #37
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
I'm finding it very interesting that despite personal experiences with this intake (or any other performance mod, for that matter), people are insisting upon "independent testing" to confirm or deny the value of the product. I'm wondering what happened to value of personal experience and outright pleasure with the mod's performance as an indicator of value. Must everything boil down to numbers?
Maybe, but there are a lot of people getting this intake and the word is spreading fast that this is a kick ass intake.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #38
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
I agree. After spending a bit of time relocating my RX catch can this evening to make swapping intakes for a dyno pulls easier, I'm wondering the same thing.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #39
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
New Era OTR details with pics

Here is a picture of the Billet MAF flange we use, it is manufactured in house using 6061 aluminum on our vertical 3 axis CNC for precision MAF sensor depth, note the contour cnc'd on the bottom, this ensures depth accuracy. And you are not are not threading into plastic which easily strips out.

Here is a quick installed pic, my car is covered in 2 foot of snow in the parking lot due to the fact our shop is full of cars right now getting work done, so I can not take any more pics installed. The radiator is moved back about 2 inches.

This shield is attached using the existing upper radiator bracket screws, it helps keep out the bugs, and other debris from plugging up the filter prematurely, and also eliminates water getting sucked up in heavy rain.

Here is a close up of the silicone coupler and clamps. It is 4 ply high temp black silicone, and notice the stainless liners behind the slotted area of the clamps, this prevents any kind of silicone tear when you tighten down the clamps. The screws used to secure the MAF sensor, and on both sides of the frame are also 304 stainless screws, and and screw into drilled and tapped holes in aluminum, not plastic.

Here are a few pictures of our kit from different angles.

This feature right here was worth 5 more rwhp than straight tube right here on the airbox outlet. This created an more even air speed drawn from the entire air filter area, instead of favoring one side of the air filter.

Here are some close up pics on what this looks like inside the airbox before one of our kits gets assembled. After it gets welded together, it is lightly ported so the corners aren't sharp, this creates a smoother transition on the highest velocity air points. Notice that there is no restrictive baffling to trick the MAF reading.

Here is a picture of our intake assembled, looking at it from the silicone coupler where the throttle body will be.

I hope these pics give you enough information, if some of this snow melts, I can give you some detaield install pics. Thanks for your interest.

-Mike
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #40
CamaroSA

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS L99
man i hate to choose from many options

right now i decided to purchase the Vmax CNC Ported throttle body from Janetty Racing.

and about the CAIs, i think at this stage i need numbers (Prices and Gains)

and Mike, your product is looking awesome by the way, do you have any numbers

and BTW im not going to tune anything yet
CamaroSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #41
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Jannety also sells our kit as well. Numbers always vary, we saw about 18 rwhp, some have seen less, and some more.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #42
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
New Era

As an induction system designer I see a lot of Pros and Cons with many of the intakes out now. I personally chose the New Era because its a strait shot with low parasitic flow loss, Its cool looking, its a snap to install (20 minutes tops) and and its a true cold air ram intake. I noticed the power in butt dyno as soon as I installed it but with a tune on the dyno it really shines. I have had mine for a year now with absolutely no issues what so ever. I would put the New Era up against ANY CAI out there. Its the only manifold I recommend to my customers.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote