Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
ApexedSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Track day Seat belts / Harnesses

So Im wondering what the best set up for this car is in regards to seatbelts. Im tired of sliding around in the canyons and on the track. Dont want to put a Sparco in my DD either. Kinda weird our drivers side belts dont lock when you pull them all the way out.

What is everybody running?

CG lock?

Schroth harness with ASM? https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4

- Are the mounting points in the back seat at the right angle? Or will I need a harness bar?
ApexedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
i had really good luck with just a simple lap belt. i used a set i got out of a drag car but you could get a generic set from a junkyard as log as you use your factory three point for safety. the lap belt is just to hold you in the seat and it works great. you can bolt them where the factory belts bolt. you do have to take the seats out to do it right but thats not a big deal. ill see if i can find and resize a pic. that cg lock angle wing crap is made to seperate you from your money. do yourself a favor and you will feel good after doing a home made mod that works better than anything you can buy.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
JOHNSONROD

here day is
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
CG lock ! I use it on the road course. Locks in the hips but leaves the shoulder belt free.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I like mine
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
ApexedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
CG lock ! I use it on the road course. Locks in the hips but leaves the shoulder belt free.
So the shoulder belt still moves around with the CG lock unless braking? Ahh that's too bad. New lap belt is another good option too but I really want to be held in to the seat more since we don't really have any shoulder bolsters in stock seats.

The harnesses should be used with a harness bar to prevent back injuries correct? Are any that will "safely" work with the Camaro without a harness bar?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
JOHNSONROD

it depends on who you ask. i honestly dont know. i was going to make my own 4 point bar that would do what a harness bar would do plus do what a rear shock tower brace would do. i got so many conflicting stories that i dropped over 3 grand for a certified cage, fia seats and 5 point harnesses. i just wanted to be done with all the opinions and different rules for different clubs. i got to admit its awesome and im glad i did it but it really drove me crazy that there was not one definite source for an answer.
go to a track event at the track that you will run and maybe even with the club you plan to run with. possibly contact a local club that looks like they are cool and email their head instructor or inspector. that way you will know for sure what they allow. if its a shorter low risk track, then maybe their rules will reflect that in not being so dramatic since the risk is lower.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I was looking into the Scroth Rallye 3 with ASM. It looks to be the best upgrade for the cost, it has better support in a crash compared to stock belts and holds you tight in the seat. The rallye 4 will not work due to the angle of the belt being too much.

If you do a 4 point you absolutely need asm or you are asking for severe trouble. If you get. A harness bar and plate, might as well go 5 pr 6 point. Without a proper cage a roll over could be bad because you are strapped in upright but the chances of a rollover are much less than a regular crash.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
ApexedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I was looking into the Scroth Rallye 3 with ASM. It looks to be the best upgrade for the cost, it has better support in a crash compared to stock belts and holds you tight in the seat. The rallye 4 will not work due to the angle of the belt being too much.

If you do a 4 point you absolutely need asm or you are asking for severe trouble. If you get. A harness bar and plate, might as well go 5 pr 6 point. Without a proper cage a roll over could be bad because you are strapped in upright but the chances of a rollover are much less than a regular crash.
Yea I'd like to go with the cheapest , most effective, safest option. That seems to be the Schroth Rallye 3 with ASM. You guys think mounting to the C pillar is OK?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
No, mounting to the C-pillar will not give you the proper geometry. I looked into it. The least expensive setup I found was a harness bar and use the Schroth Rallye Cross harnesses with ASM. They hold me in my seat very nicely.

I used the harness bar for the shoulder points at the proper geometry and then the stock seat belt point for the lower ones. No need for a tank plate. But in order for this to work you have to get the strap ends like pictured or it won't work.

With the harness bar I am able to keep the proper geometry for the harnesses and I look at it this way, if I am in a roll over, please kill me 'cause I am gonna be PISSED.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
boltvette

Drives: 1963 Corvette, 2001 Corvette
Angel pads! Designed to hold your hips in place if you are using a stock seat. A LOT cheaper than a new seat, mounting rails, etc.
2-seater "Camaro" w/JMS Racing LS3; C5 Z06 trans; C6 ZR1 exhaust; Dynatech catback; Ron Davis radiator; trans, diff & engine oil coolers; Pfadt JOC Stage 1 bars & shocks; C6 Z51 brakes; Angelwings C5 Track Day Bar; Angel Pads!
boltvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
Bryan1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE Black
You can get the driver's belt to lock if you give it a quick jerk. What I've been doing is slide the seat back a few inches, give the seat belt a quick jerk to lock it, and then slide the seat forward to where I want it. Works great and holds me very securely in the seat.
Bryan1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
I just ordered the same setup that Cornerspeed92 has, Speedware Motorsports Tank Plates, Harness Bar, and Schroth Prof3 6 Point Harness.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
I just ordered the same setup that Cornerspeed92 has, Speedware Motorsports Tank Plates, Harness Bar, and Schroth Prof3 6 Point Harness.
You wont be disappointed When you do the install make sure you remove your back floor mats,and only loosely start all bolts,then tighten.Please send me pic's with those Recaros,i will have to live vicariously through you