Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
It bothers people when HIDs were installed in Halogen housings. It doesn't matter what age you are.
Ditto, some SUV had them on during the day behind me the other day. Idiot installed HIDs into a halogen housing and even during the day they would hurt your eyes. I can't imagine seeing him in on-coming traffic.

HIDs are pretty much useless in a halogen housing anyway, the light needs to be focused to get real benefit from it.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #16
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
It bothers people when HIDs were installed in Halogen housings. It doesn't matter what age you are.
Completely agree. Never put hid bulbs in halogen housings. Hello glare.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #17
CamRamRo

Drives: 2014 TR Stingray M7
My 2013 1LS gets the same treatment, constantly getting flashed high beams.. and I live in the country too.. I think it's because it's so dark out there, the contrast seems bright. In the country there's not as many new cars either, seems like nothing but 20 year old Ford trucks on the road. Sure my lights look bright after you passed a dozen cars with yellowed lights.
CamRamRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Actually, it can. As you age, your recovery time from exposure to a bright light increases. Trying not to look directly at the lights may be all you can do about this, and that's far from easy.

My question to OP is about whether you had any extra trunk load or lowered the rear of the car more than the front. Either of those situations will tip your headlight beams up slightly. If they're close to begin with, this may be just enough to bother oncoming traffic.

The way I check aim also includes backing away from the wall or garage door while watching what the low beam pattern on the wall does. If it drops slightly as you back away, you're in good shape. If it rises, then it's aimed above the horizontal and likely to be/become a problem.

There is frequently a slight advantage to staggering the aims, with the driver side headlight aimed just a little lower than the passenger side headlight, and the pass side aimed as close to dead level as you can make it. This keeps any slightly less bright regions from lining up and leaving a slightly dim region out there ahead of you, and is even less likely to annoy those coming at you.

Norm
Old 06-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #19
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
My Camaro is a 1LS, with factory Halogens, are they really that bright that they are mistaken for high-beams? I can't imagine that is the case, but this has become an increasingly common occurrence when I drive my Camaro at night.
So you say you have a 1LS w/halogens, yet your "Drives" info says "2015 BVM 1SS/1LE", which would be HID headlights. Which is it? If you do indeed have the factory halogens, your lights must need adjusting.

I have the HIDs and (on a divided highway) rarely get flashed.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #20
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I flashed a woman once because her hi beams were on....she called the cops....
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #21
Baldwin feeder

Drives: 1986 Chevy C-10 and 2013 BRM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
So you say you have a 1LS w/halogens, yet your "Drives" info says "2015 BVM 1SS/1LE", which would be HID headlights. Which is it? If you do indeed have the factory halogens, your lights must need adjusting.

I have the HIDs and (on a divided highway) rarely get flashed.
Check how old the post is, I believe the OP recently upgraded from a 1LS and thus back in 2013 was driving a 1LS. Btw my 1SS lacks the RS package and I have halogens so his 1LE might not have the RS package and thus also have halogens.
Baldwin feeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #22
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I flashed a woman once because her hi beams were on....she called the cops....
thats what happens when you live in such a sheltered panzy region
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #23
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
thats what happens when you live in such a sheltered panzy region
Sheltered panzy region ? I think u misunderstood my post. Do men even say panzy anymore? Wait you just answer my question

Last edited by rontammy0; 06-10-2015 at 08:07 AM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I laughed my ass off when Peggy on "King of the Hill" said to Hank, "I discovered that there's a switch on the car that makes the headlights MUCH brighter!!! Why would anybody ever even think about NOT using the brighter ones ALL the time?!?"

One factor that might come into play: When roads are wet, the reflection off of the road towards oncoming traffic is much brighter. The actual lights are not brighter, of course, but the added reflection off of the wet pavement gives people (yes, generally the never- change- my oil/ replace- my- car- every- couple- of- years/ replace- my- clutch- every 26,000- miles crowd that LoneCynic mentioned!) the illusion that it's really bright in front of them, so they flash their damn brights to indicate their displeasure. And, those same people are blissfully unaware of road undulations, which will sometimes have your headlights pointed higher up, making them think that you are "high- beaming" them... when you are not.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #25
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

There is frequently a slight advantage to staggering the aims, with the driver side headlight aimed just a little lower than the passenger side headlight, and the pass side aimed as close to dead level as you can make it. This keeps any slightly less bright regions from lining up and leaving a slightly dim region out there ahead of you, and is even less likely to annoy those coming at you.

Norm
I noticed that driving my '13 home from the dealer tonight, that the right headlight was aimed higher than the left, could this be on purpose, or should I go back to the dealer and have them realigned?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #26
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
If it isn't so high that it's getting you high-beam-flashed by oncoming traffic and the driver side headlight is aimed properly/close to level, I'd just leave it alone and keep the advantage of staggered aims.

Norm
Old 12-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #27
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If it isn't so high that it's getting you high-beam-flashed by oncoming traffic and the driver side headlight is aimed properly/close to level, I'd just leave it alone and keep the advantage of staggered aims.

Norm
It wasn't dark enough to see how the beams fell on the ground etc, I noticed it when I pulled up next to another car and could see the right one was higher.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #28
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
That hasn't happened to me, but if it does, I'll just flash my brights back. It lets them know that I didn't have my brights on... and how bad it would be if they were!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote