Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #29
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
The NEW STI's look like dog poop , old ones look nice .

$40k for a $15k car with a $15 drivetrain is to much . Evo's and STI's use to have a great formula (low $30k , low 13's , great handeling , very easy to get more HP)
Now they are over weight , slower and cost more .

The only thing close about the Camaro and STI is the $ .

So I dont think Chev has anything to worry about , lol.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #30
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Looks like the current WRX does 14.5. 40 more hp should put it in low 14s just like the 3.6 Camaro.
Haha that's what I thought....

The 2009 Subaru WRX does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.5....

It's going to eat a V6 Camaro and will be running with the SS...

C&D just did a short take on the 09 Subaru WRX...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #31
mowbr4

Drives: 2006 STI
I will agree, the new bodystyle of the STI's is hideous. That completely turned me away along with the price tag. Can't wait for the V8 Muscle, and the rumble to take over.
mowbr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #32
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Road & Track just tested the WRX and the Cobalt SS beat it out!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7103
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #33
mowbr4

Drives: 2006 STI
the new Cobalt SS is a little beast.
mowbr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #34
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Its 40k fully optioned which I agree is a bittoo much, factor in 2k of thatis nav. You can get one for 33 base I think. Its a very different type of car, not really competition except in the broadest sense.

5 door AWD hatchback vs. 2 door RWD coupe not what you'd call the same class, at least I wouldn't.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #35
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
similarly optioned i priced the sti at 37,000ish and 34,000 msrp + destination fee.

so i say maybe performance wise it will be competition but who wants a 4door hatchback....
Old 10-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #36
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
ew.

this thread fails.

who would pay 10k more for a SLOWER, UGLIER, ricey hatchback??
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #37
Gomerr

Drives: 1991 Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
someone who cant wait for a camaro =p
Gomerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #38
turbocrazy

Drives: Cadillac CTS & 2010 BLK SS/RS
I had a worked wrx with an uprgraded turbo and I hated it. Granted the sti is different because it has the better transmission but the bigger 2.5liter is still garbage. Those cars are ugly and expensive to fix. I have been in many modded sti's and the only nasty ones have built motors and the 07 gears which are on national back order. Other than that I guess they weigh in close to the camaro.

Evos however are a whole different story because they are light, fast, and fairly reliable.

Last edited by turbocrazy; 10-27-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: addition
turbocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #39
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
ew.

this thread fails.

While I would choose the Camaro over the STI as I have no interest in a hatchback I can see why some would and here is why:

- Its practical, 5 doors and room to haul stuff while not being boring.
- AWD which if you live up north is very helpful (I get around on a separate set of snows but its s pain that many don’t wantto deal with).
- Unless you know what you are looking at it just seems like a slightly hotted up hatchback, no giant wing like the older ones. The stealth factor (like a Cobalt SS sedan) appeals to some.
- Modability, while the LS3 has lots of potential it’s just easier and cheaper to mod a turbo-charged engine.

The STI is not my cup of tea but I appreciate what it brings to the table. If I lived in the Boston burbs or upstate New York I’d probably own one. You can’t beat AWD and snow tires in the white.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Hmm... I, too, think they aren't in the same market. I mean, I think they appeal to different crowds. Import crowds, to me, seem to be very dedicted to imports and the opposite for domestics. That's my observation, but I don't think there will be many comparisons between the two cars, especially since I thought those were more rally cars.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #41
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Hmm... I, too, think they aren't in the same market. I mean, I think they appeal to different crowds. Import crowds, to me, seem to be very dedicted to imports and the opposite for domestics. That's my observation, but I don't think there will be many comparisons between the two cars, especially since I thought those were more rally cars.
There's no denying the loyalty of Subaru customers. I drive that ugly, beater Impreza, and I can't even deny that the AWD platform is amazing or that the engine has a cool sound to it.

When pointing out that one will take the other's sales, we have a few factors to consider. The first is which is cheaper. The Camaro wins, so it has a better likelihood of taking sales from the STI. The next issue is options. The Camaro and STI are on the same page, but the Camaro starts lower, so it has the advantage of being fully loaded for less than a lightly loaded STI. The Camaro wins again. Thirdly, let's compare the performance. The Camaro wins with ease on the track. The Camaro will lose by a small margin when competing in rally racing. That overwhelming horsepower advantage and 52-48 weight balance will make even rally racing possible for the Camaro. Fourthly, we have to consider appearance. Subaru fans won't admit that Subaru has become bland and unimpressive, but plenty of buyers will shy away from a car that took styling cues from the '90s for a car that has muscle appeal. As usual, the Camaro wins.

Is the Camaro going to lose sales to the STI? That'll be the day.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #42
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowbr4 View Post
the new Cobalt SS is a little beast.
For the money the Cobalt SS Turbo is the best car GM builds under any brand name anywhere....and it isn't a close race. Unfortunately it still looks like a modern homage to the Third gen Cavalier, a move which made no sense whatsoever way back when the Cobalt first debuted, and which does this version no favors in the sales race. It isn't bad looking, but it does draw a line between those two models which isn't good for the Cobalt.

Still, I occasionally find myself considering this little car from time to time, but I always trip up on the looks. If they had to make it look like something why couldn't they have made it look like a Chevy-fied B5 A4 (first gen Audi A4) ?
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote