Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #29
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I feel like I had a similar smell, more like new plastic/mold release, smell. and I couldnt smell it as much when the A/C and Heat were on.

As for the paint missing where the rubber hood stop goes, its rubbing off becuase of the rubber hood stop. Most cars will have this, urs is happening pretty fast, but it happens.
Did the smell eventually go away?

As for the paint, I am beginning to see this is pretty common, so I will TU and protect with 3M film.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #30
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Did the smell eventually go away?

As for the paint, I am beginning to see this is pretty common, so I will TU and protect with 3M film.
I dont notice it anymore. I never gave it much thought, as it smelled like new plastic, etc. Plastic has oil on it to release it from a mold. As well as all the adhesives and other materials used to hold on the leather pieces to the dash and other things under the dash, all of these have some sort of chemical or petroleum product or residue and with the changes in temperature, turning on the fan, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if that was all it is.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #31
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I dont notice it anymore. I never gave it much thought, as it smelled like new plastic, etc. Plastic has oil on it to release it from a mold. As well as all the adhesives and other materials used to hold on the leather pieces to the dash and other things under the dash, all of these have some sort of chemical or petroleum product or residue and with the changes in temperature, turning on the fan, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if that was all it is.
I'm not sure the smell I have is the same, but I will pay closer attention.

What is really weird is that it only happens on days that are on the warmer side (this has been mentioned in other posts as well), like I said this morning I did not notice it, I guess I'll see on my way home not that it is warmer out.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
legacy

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Interesting. What kind of a smell do you have and is it constant?
yeah its pretty constant. its smells like a strong chemical. could just be some residual stuff from the build burning off. if you are worried, I would keep an eye on your vitals like oil pressure/temp. if it varies outside of the norm then you have a problem. also, after its warmed up, open the hood to see if smoke is coming off from the motor, or if anything is dripping undeneath the engine bay.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #33
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy View Post
yeah its pretty constant. its smells like a strong chemical. could just be some residual stuff from the build burning off. if you are worried, I would keep an eye on your vitals like oil pressure/temp. if it varies outside of the norm then you have a problem. also, after its warmed up, open the hood to see if smoke is coming off from the motor, or if anything is dripping undeneath the engine bay.
There is no smell or smoke anywhere and all guages look normal.

My smell is not constant and definatly not a chemical smell.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

I have a quetion. Isn't the air that is goes into the car pulled from the cowel under the windshield, or is there another location to?

Last edited by nyrfan; 02-18-2013 at 01:21 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #35
CAMARU

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/CGM/6M/Black stripes
Well there is the new car smell and the new engine smell. The new engine smell should go away fairly quickly. A good long drive would help. You probably notice it more in winter with the windows up. I test drove a brand new G37s before I decided to buy the Camaro. The salesman told me to drive it hard, so I did. Had the exact same smell as my Camaro when it was new. It's kind of a rancid smell like burning plastic or paint. You should be OK on that front. I had the rattle in one of the mufflers, usually on take off. The solution was to get rid of the cans and put on my ARK II exhaust. Good luck.
CAMARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #36
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARU View Post
Well there is the new car smell and the new engine smell. The new engine smell should go away fairly quickly. A good long drive would help. You probably notice it more in winter with the windows up. I test drove a brand new G37s before I decided to buy the Camaro. The salesman told me to drive it hard, so I did. Had the exact same smell as my Camaro when it was new. It's kind of a rancid smell like burning plastic or paint. You should be OK on that front. I had the rattle in one of the mufflers, usually on take off. The solution was to get rid of the cans and put on my ARK II exhaust. Good luck.
Definatly not a new car smell, more along the lines of this (Post 3 & 16 is what really concerns me):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256714
Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #37
CAMARU

Like I said, give it a good long hard drive and let all the gasses from the curing plastic and paint evaporate. If you have a bad rear main seal you will have a visible oil leak inside the bell housing. I have had a bad rear main seal on my 84 GMC truck that was soo bad the oil pressure would fall to almost zero at idle. I did not have any smell at all. The first oil change has nothing to do with the smell unless you spill oil on the engine or exhaust. An oil change does not make your rear main seal go bad.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #38
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARU View Post
Like I said, give it a good long hard drive and let all the gasses from the curing plastic and paint evaporate. If you have a bad rear main seal you will have a visible oil leak inside the bell housing. I have had a bad rear main seal on my 84 GMC truck that was soo bad the oil pressure would fall to almost zero at idle. I did not have any smell at all. The first oil change has nothing to do with the smell unless you spill oil on the engine or exhaust. An oil change does not make your rear main seal go bad.
I agree about the oil change, but if you continue to read the thread people claim they have the smell with zero leaks detected.

I will admit my car has not been on a nice long ride, may I'll take my wife for a spin somewhere tonight.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #39
CAMARU

To bad it's only 67 degrees in Orlando. Hotter would be better. No leaks = no burning oil. Have fun on your drive.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Take it for a long drive a few times. All three of the Camaros I have owned have had a break in smell. Like has been described it smelled sorta like plastic burning. In all three after my first road trip of over two hours the smell never returned. Good luck. BTW want to feel WAY better about your VERY minor issues read this thread.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #41
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
I agree about the oil change, but if you continue to read the thread people claim they have the smell with zero leaks detected.

I will admit my car has not been on a nice long ride, may I'll take my wife for a spin somewhere tonight.

Make sure she puts her window down, don't wanna lose her.
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #42
H0peful1

Drives: --
Becky shipped me my 2013 at the end of Nov. It had a strong burning/bad smell too. Becky reassured me it was prob just new car burn off of exhaust, oils, etc. After a few drives, it faded significantly, and I'd only smell it occasionally once I exited the car. In the last half dozen drives, I smelled it once, after parking. (It's not a DD during winter.) I also searched the threads here in the beginning, and it seemed pretty common and self-resolving. If you're concerned yours has a carbon monoxide component, you could get a cheap detector to check.
H0peful1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevrolet customer svc