Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Rdphish73

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey LS-3 RS/2SS Coupe
Noob needs suspension education please!

Good day C5 brother and sisters. Please help me with suspension questions.

What is the consensus of knowledgable folks here on what suspension mods I should do? I like the way my 2012 SS handles. The upgraded 2012 SS suspension seems good to this newbie....but if I can improve it I will. What I'm really looking for is pieces that can help my M6 launch better and corner better. I don't like the idea of limiting my RPM's to launch. Plus, it seems like no matter what combination of throttle power/clutch release produces way to much rubber being laid. Maybe I need to keep trying. But it seems like I've exhausted all throttle/clutch combos. I did hear of one guy in C5 that launches in 2nd gear. I don't know it that's good or not. I will admit that I have Blizzak snow tires on currently and maybe they light up super easy.
I remember growing up as a teen and seeing the serious Chevelles, Camaros, 'Stangs, TA's, etc with traction bars inside the rear wheels...letting them launch with just a few chirps of the tires. What is the equivalent of traction bars today? I will be dragging my car more than road racing. I also like the current ride quality. I don't want to have my fillings knocked out of my teeth if I hit a bump.
In the corners, the car seems to have very little body roll. Do I need to mess with new sway bars? I can spend $1500-$2000 max but obviously not if I HAVE to. Bottom line is I want much improved launch and better cornering without having a bone jarring ride quality.

Any help is appreciated!
2012 AGM LS-3 RS/SS: Airaid CAI, Ceramic Coated Dynatech SuperMaxx LT Headers, High Flow Cats, Borla "S-Type" Cat-Back Exhaust, Ted Jannetty Tuned, LS-3 Cowl Badging, RS/SS Fender Badging. Custom Bow-Ties by Lupe
Rdphish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Your biggest problem is definitely your tires so once you get swapped over to a set of summer tires with a better traction rating the car will have much better traction. With that being said there is still quite a bit of work you can do with the suspension starting trailing arms (TCA026) and outer trailing arm bushings (BK006). From there I would recommend the toe rods (TR002) and the "pro" rear cradle kit (BK030). Lastly I would look at the anti-roll bar (XSB004) but that wouldn't be something you would need till the car started making more power and started getting faster.

Since you are worried about a stiffer ride I would stay away from lowering springs since they will stiffen the ride up a little. Sway bars would definitely be a good idea for you since they will really minimize the body roll and they won't effect the ride at all. The sway bars will tighten up the handling and make the car much more responsive and fun to drive.

Give me a call here at the shop and we can go over your goals for the car and get you set up with a custom package that will work for you without breaking the bank.

Kyle
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Put the summer tires on and a Hotchkis track Pack. It will lower the car to give it the right stance without stiffening up the ride very much, most prefer it since its more controled and the chassis brace will help with traction and handling, a lot. There is a reason Lingenfelter swears by them in all there cars, and then there adjustable sway bars will keep it nice and flat in the turns.
The Hotchis track pack is the best bang for the buck you can get, least expensive to install and best handling when comparing it to the equivalant that the other suspension manufactures offer for an entry level set up.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdphish73 View Post
I will admit that I have Blizzak snow tires on currently and maybe they light up super easy.
That's a big part of your problem. Tires constructed and compounded for snow and cold weather tend to be squirmy and not very grippy when those conditions are not present. For performance use, you need tires intended for performance, so you need to be shopping for max performance or extreme performance summer rubber (I'm using Tire Rack's category names here).

Launching in 2nd gear is going to be harder on the clutch unless you get the tires spinning, which seems to be what you're trying to avoid.

I'm not a drag racer, so I'll let others discuss what's specifically available to address the Camaro's launch characteristics. But I will mention that the traction bars you're probably thinking about modified the way those cars' stick-axle suspensions actually operated (tries to make them act a little like ladder bar cars). To the best of my knowledge this wholesale suspension geometry revison isn't possible with an IRS unless you actually redrill and relocate the various suspension linkage attachment points. But you do get to benefit by installing different control arms/links with stiffer bushings or sphericals.

If the car corners flat enough for you, there isn't any need to mess with the bars. A big drag-race rear bar won't help this chassis at the dragstrip nearly as much as it does on stick-axle Chevelles, F-bodies, Mustangs, 1980's G-bodies, etc., so don't bother looking at swapping bars to help out there. Once again, tires and wheels are going to be the key. Go from there if/when you want still more.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Hey buddy...

Check out my guide that I had written up a bit ago, also great information in there also contributed by others too:

How to Drag Race your M6

This guide will help also with the proper suspension and tires! I would recommend a rear arm package like the Pfadt Trailing Arm & Toe Rods... Doing a solid subframe bushing set and lower poly LCA bushings in the rear also helps a lot.

Any questions please let me know. Even though my car is an automatic I have a great solution for your drag suspension using street parts like my personal car that has been a 1.39 60' and a 1.41 60' on stock bottom end using all Pfadt street catalog items...
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
Hey buddy...

Check out my guide that I had written up a bit ago, also great information in there also contributed by others too:

How to Drag Race your M6

This guide will help also with the proper suspension and tires! I would recommend a rear arm package like the Pfadt Trailing Arm & Toe Rods... Doing a solid subframe bushing set and lower poly LCA bushings in the rear also helps a lot.

Any questions please let me know. Even though my car is an automatic I have a great solution for your drag suspension using street parts like my personal car that has been a 1.39 60' and a 1.41 60' on stock bottom end using all Pfadt street catalog items...
Thanks for the props Matt!

Just some quick additional info as to why Matt suggested the items he did, check out the before/after video we did on our subframe bushing and rear trailing arm kit. Coupled with the tie rods this is a great entry level package that stretches your dollar VERY far and gets you more performance than you bargained for in the rear suspension.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Rdphish73

Thanks fellas for the input. Winters almost over so the Perellis are going back on soon. I'll check out Pfadt too!
2012 AGM LS-3 RS/SS: Airaid CAI, Ceramic Coated Dynatech SuperMaxx LT Headers, High Flow Cats, Borla "S-Type" Cat-Back Exhaust, Ted Jannetty Tuned, LS-3 Cowl Badging, RS/SS Fender Badging. Custom Bow-Ties by Lupe
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Do yourself a favor

Read the Pedders analysis of the Camaro suspension called "The Book".
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
RBD

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
Read the Pedders analysis of the Camaro suspension called "The Book".
I agree ! Pedders makes some great stuff....the best.
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Rdphish73

Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post

Just some quick additional info as to why Matt suggested the items he did, check out the before/after video we did on our subframe bushing and rear trailing arm kit. Coupled with the tie rods this is a great entry level package that stretches your dollar VERY far and gets you more performance than you bargained for in the rear suspension.

To the Phadt team,

I just ordered (through Summit Racing) your Solid Subframe Bushings....I'm going to start with that first and check out the improvement. Can't wait!

~Ralph
Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post

This.

Absolutely love the products that these guys put out. Not to mention their customer service is amazing (up there with Adam's Polishes). The video shows what different parts will do to help the car as well.