Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Squealing noise under hard accel

Hey guys, been a little while.

For the past couple days or so, I've had a squealing noise. Not sure whether it's the throwout bearing or belts. It's a high pitched screech noise.

I don't see any belt deterioration or anything that looks like a problem.
There isn't really any chirping of belts at idle. I had my son stand there while revving it in neutral and he said it sounded like it came from the front of the engine on the driver's side. But that's what he said.

Anyway, it seems to happen at higher rpms and moreso under load.
If I do a 0-60 blast I get it and if I'm going like 65-70, drop it in third and hammer it I get it as well.

The throwout bearing isn't doing anything when the clutch is engaged, only when disengaged and I don't get any groans or noises at all when I push in the pedal. Car drives fine. No vibrations or pulsating etc. I am only making about 430whp so it's not like I am overpowering anything that I know of? There is no detectable slip I can gather either.

How do you think I should approach this? What parts are prone to croaking from personal experience? This car has 6000 on it and I've had it since last December 2013 m6. Gets driven maybe 2-3 days a week. I've lightly sprayed the engine down a couple times to keep the dust off, but I doubt I washed the grease out of the pulleys...I only use water and use a wide spray pattern.

I'm going to get my wife to gooch the gas for me so I can stand up front and listen. But I'd love to hear any throughts or experiences before I start tearing shit apart and chasing my own ass.

I want this noise GONE!!!
Thanks in advance.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
SCHMIZE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Is it the tires?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
POS Dakota

I would be pretty proud if it was.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
POS Dakota

Nobody?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
POS Dakota

Alright, I think it's the alternator.
I took my wife to the airport and for a while during my trip I was reading between 12.5 and 12.6 volts. Then suddenly it started to climb to the usual 14.2 or so. Get off the highway and I pull into the driveway and rev it. I hear the squeal and then I watch the voltage start dropping back to 12.5-12.6. I don't think it should drop below 13.8 when running IIRC.

Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
Or maybe belt is slipping from a weak tensioner? If you can move it by hand it's weak and needs to be replaced
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
POS Dakota

It's definitely not slipping. tensioner is good. Like I said ealier, I should never see 12.6 volts on the display with the car running. 12.6 volts is the output of a healthy battery alone. If I rev the motor and hold it at say 2000 rpm, I should see over 13.8 volts, and realistically with the heavy charging systems on these things, I should really see the 14.2 or so I normally see.

Make sense? Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
POS Dakota

I thought it was going to end up being something a lot worse.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Fire65

Drives: 2011 2 LT RS Convertible
Recently I've heard a periodic squeaking from under the hood. Think it's the idler pulley, will be taking it to the dealer.
Fire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Dakota View Post
It's definitely not slipping. tensioner is good. Like I said ealier, I should never see 12.6 volts on the display with the car running. 12.6 volts is the output of a healthy battery alone. If I rev the motor and hold it at say 2000 rpm, I should see over 13.8 volts, and realistically with the heavy charging systems on these things, I should really see the 14.2 or so I normally see.

Make sense? Thoughts?
Actually, this is normal on newer cars. In an effort to extract every last bit of mileage out of them, the alternator is not always being utilized. If the battery charge is good, and the electrical load isn't that high, the system may cut out the alternator, and you will be on just the battery at times. The alternator is only used when necessary, or during coast down/braking for maximum efficiency.

Given that it does it both in neutral and in gear, you can pretty much narrow it down to something from the clutch forward. Probably either the belt or anything that the belt turns. Without knowing more or actually hearing where it is coming from, that's about all I can add.

On a side note, I wouldn't recommend spraying down the engine compartment with water.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
POS Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Actually, this is normal on newer cars. In an effort to extract every last bit of mileage out of them, the alternator is not always being utilized. If the battery charge is good, and the electrical load isn't that high, the system may cut out the alternator, and you will be on just the battery at times. The alternator is only used when necessary, or during coast down/braking for maximum efficiency.

Given that it does it both in neutral and in gear, you can pretty much narrow it down to something from the clutch forward. Probably either the belt or anything that the belt turns. Without knowing more or actually hearing where it is coming from, that's about all I can add.

On a side note, I wouldn't recommend spraying down the engine compartment with water.
If I turned on a bunch of stuff like the headlights and ac, I should have seen something happen, but I didn't.

I'm just going to take it in and let the dealership figure it out.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
POS Dakota

You're right BTW...I did some reading and these newer setups are something else.
I can disconnect the current sensor and check the voltage then to confirm. It should put out full voltage is what I gather. I know I'll get codes when I do it. I have a scanner and can clear them. Either way, I'm going to take it in and let them fix it. This is a 2013 with 6k on it. It shouldn't be screeching at me.

Thanks Fielder.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Also check the short AC belt below. Mine showed no wear signs but was squeeling occasionally. Then it became worse, then it came apart. Dealership replaced it and it's been fine since.
Camarojt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
POS Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
Also check the short AC belt below. Mine showed no wear signs but was squeeling occasionally. Then it became worse, then it came apart. Dealership replaced it and it's been fine since.
I've read about these as well. Belt does look to be pristine.
Guess you're supposed to tension it to 200 lbs (however you do that), then re-tension it to 180 after a run-in. I hope it's something simple.

The car drives perfectly fine and pulls strong. Doesn't run rough. No clutch slip. Engine revs freely. Just a screech when I accelerate hard and sometimes when I rev it in neutral. I hope it's a belt, accessory or a pulley. I just want to get rid of the noise and be back in business.

Did your ac belt make noise with the ac turned off as well?
The belt they use for these is a skimpy piece of shit!
I'm surprised they went with something so small.