Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Oem Paint

Does anyone know about how much I'm looking to pay for OEM quality paint to paint a front bumper?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Does anyone know about how much I'm looking to pay for OEM quality paint to paint a front bumper?
Don't bother with OEM Quality, GM Paint sucks, you will probably be looking at about $400-$600 from what I've seen but for your benefit don't settle for OEM Quality. Get some quotes and shop around as it will be different depending on the shop and what paint they use.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
lscamaro

Well a friend of my uncle is doing this. He's been doing this for about 30 years so I know he does good work. I was able to get a hold of a v8 front bumper and he said he would paint it if I could just get a hold of the paint. I wanted to know how much it would be and if anyone knew where I could get a hold of it

Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Burnt_RS

Drives: '10 1LT/RS
Don't use the same paint that the your bumper was sprayed with. The factory GM paint on the plastic bumpers does NOT match the metal panels on the car. When I had my bumper repainted, my paint guy mixed to GM colour-spec then had to tint it so that it would actually match. Take a look at your front bumper/front fender, above the side-marker light, in the sun. You will see the difference.
Burnt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
lscamaro

Yes, I know there's a difference in color. Okay, since I have to get a hold of the paint, can I just go to a paints store and they can match it? Or how would that work?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
JB @ C and L Machine

Drives: Ordered 2011
Quote:
Well a friend of my uncle is doing this. He's been doing this for about 30 years so I know he does good work. I was able to get a hold of a v8 front bumper and he said he would paint it if I could just get a hold of the paint. I wanted to know how much it would be and if anyone knew where I could get a hold of it

IF hes been painting cars for 30 years...he should get the paint
JB @ C and L Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
11 Camaro IBM

Drives: Camaro IBM
You can go to stores like auto quest they can get the correct paint body shops can also get the paint just have your code with you. You want to get a paint that's base and then clear coat.In all honesty this is going to cost over like 300 or more. It cost almost 170 just for in a quote for my engine cover just paint. I know a shop in SM that will do the bumper for pretty cheap 512-750-1303 txt me for info
11 Camaro IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB @ C and L Machine View Post
IF hes been painting cars for 30 years...he should get the paint
I was thinking of telling him to get it and be done with it but I never thought it would be this hard to get paint

Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Look in the yellow pages under automotive paint supply. You can get a list of places that sell paint. I going tell this depending on the color you chance on getting the paint to match perfectly is going to low.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
lscamaro

Well considering the front bumper never matches from the factory anyway, if its like that I'll be fine.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Well considering the front bumper never matches from the factory anyway, if its like that I'll be fine.
It doesn't match for the same reason it flakes off for no reason...

The paint is absolute shit...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
OEM paint is most likely a lower end dupont/sherwin williams/ppg/etc that was awarded the job based on the lowest bid/minimum requirement that GM engineers put forth to them. Agreed that the paint "sucks" only because most of the time there is only a few coats of (again - lowest bidder awarded) Clear coat over it.

The paint itself prolly isn't horrible, it's just that, as Camaro owners, we want more out of our money. That's just how we are. Bang for the Buck et al.

We like stuff to last forever, that is well priced, and results in a show quality finish and shine.

Sorry. But I think that I can say that without hurting anybody's feelings right?

With that being said, I think that ANY aftermarket/paint supply store can get you paint that will probably be better than what came on the car. What it comes down to is getting somebody who CARES about mixing the paint to match the code that you give them. Any instance or over/underage of paint that is not right will result in a different shade of whatever color it is that you are trying to match.

With that being said, its a dice roll. Most paint shops are good and if you let them know you're trying to match a panel exactly, they might actually take the bubble gum out of their mouth while they mix your paint. Maybe. Just don't be an ass and try to be as friendly as possible. These are the types of people that it might pay to make good friends with. (Just a suggestion)

If you're taking it to a shop.....find one that has great feedback, ask to see some of their work, and let her rip.

Expect to pay as much as you think it's worth. Honestly. I've charged a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper to paint a panel and also gotten a lot more than that for doing something smaller than a sheet of paper.

I'd ballpark $260-300 to start. I know people who have paid 3 and 4 times that too.

Oh and dont forget....the higher the color pigment, the more it'll cost. Exponentially.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
lscamaro

Well I just need to get a hold of the paint and enough of it to cover the front bumper. My friend's uncle is doing the painting and I've seen his work and it's amazing. He's done work for the family as well and done great matching on a particularly unique paint job my uncle had on his truck.