Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #3417
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Stratman, we did talk about adding one - It is a good idea. There is a thread by the Rev extreme guy with a diagram and detailing the hoses to install one in our cars. Unfortunately, you will have to search for it.. I don't have it bookmarked.

Post good notes.. I want to do this as well.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #3418
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverman View Post
Great paint 2010, love the smoke look. That track looks like a blast. I may get my chance in a few weeks at a road corse. Then in a month I will get to try an oval at PIR. Some of the locals here said I should get oil catch can instaled. I know there was some stuff a few months ago on this, can any one with experience help me out.
The way I understand it is if you are producing a very large amount of HP then you would need one. I am producing over 750 bhp and at this level of performance have not needed one but very soon I might. If you have extra money to blow then why not do it. You can buy them at the LPE website.
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #3419
Hoverman

Drives: 2010 2ss
I went back and read the thred over a few times and did not get a clear answer about the catch can. It sounds like it can't hurt and may help? I called Kevin, he said he did not think I needed one. The folks here are saying I should have one for sure on the banked ovals. I think I need more input!!! HELP!
Pfadt adj coilovers,Pfadt trailing arms,
Pfadt Dif Bushings, Pfadt rear tie rods
Hotchiss Cassis Brace, LPE 3.91 gears
MGW shifter,Billetprototypes Catch Can
LPE Pedals, LPE Sway bar links
LPE custom ralley stripes, Paint upgrade and 4 coats of clear
Lingengelter Embroidered Headrest
Foose wheels, LPE Brake calipers with slotted rotors
Hotchiss/LPE Strut Brace,
Hoverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #3420
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverman View Post
I went back and read the thred over a few times and did not get a clear answer about the catch can. It sounds like it can't hurt and may help? I called Kevin, he said he did not think I needed one. The folks here are saying I should have one for sure on the banked ovals. I think I need more input!!! HELP!
The cranckcase pressure will be the same weather the motor is running upside down or sideways or around banked ovals. It couldn't hurt but is definately not a must have with anything under 800 hp. I have loads of $$$ invested in my motor much more then the standard 650 build and I am not going to worry until I reach 800 hp.
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #3421
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 BADSS View Post
Hey MWS, thanks, RS knows his boss well enough, but he really got swamped with work the last couple of weeks. You know how it is, especially when you're the boss! He even had to go in today to play catch up. But after hearing all the fun I had, we'll both be ready to go ASAP! We're also itching to make a break to the cabin. Maybe this coming weekend. I think there is another track event planned for us camaro peeps in 2 weeks. Hopefully we can hit that one.
Hey lots of work is a good thing! I am swamped getting ready for a food saftey audit on Friday. I would rather spend a few hours in your chair without the shots than endure someone with a flashlight and mirror examining my plant. Of course that's only the first four hours, the next four is on all of our written proceedures and supporting paperwork. Go figure the USDA/FDA spend about an hour with us and end asking for advise on what to look for and the AIB rip us for eight hours and give us list of improvment needed items.
Oh well I guess it is part of the game now, after the idiot with the peanut recall.
After this audit if we can kick butt I may just have to take a weekend in Vegas to celebrtate.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #3422
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Hi everyone, I've had quite a week, and today all my hard work finally paid off! After scrambling all week picking up parts, reassembling, etc, etc, I finally got her done last night about 9pm just in time for some of our locals get together today at Sandia motorsports track! It was an incredibly fun track with a couple nasty hairpin turns. We were incredibly lucky to have our local ex Indy car driver Jim Guthrie on hand giving tips and lessons. After taking her around about five times by myself driving like Miss Daisy, I let Jim drive her with me in the passenger seat showing me how it should be done! Then he let me drive with him in the passenger seat, giving me tips on using all of the track and taking the best line, braking, steering, and pretty much everything. What a difference that made! Then for the best of all, he gave me a ride in his vette that's all set up for the track, and he really let her have it!!!!!!
All I can say is WOW can that man drive! Poor RS was too busy with work and couldn't make it, but don't worry, I'll talk his ear off tonight about it, and hopefully he will make the next one. MWS, it would be so worth your drive.
Now for the pics! It was not a great picture day, very cloudy, so I'm posting the best one's I got. Some are at the track, some at Mom's. There's a lot because I was trying to capture all the art work, but it's hard in pictures. It's even better in person.
Attachment 122253

Attachment 122254

Attachment 122255

Attachment 122256

Attachment 122257

Attachment 122258

Attachment 122259

Attachment 122260
That is awesome
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #3423
2010 BADSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Hey lots of work is a good thing! I am swamped getting ready for a food saftey audit on Friday. I would rather spend a few hours in your chair without the shots than endure someone with a flashlight and mirror examining my plant. Of course that's only the first four hours, the next four is on all of our written proceedures and supporting paperwork. Go figure the USDA/FDA spend about an hour with us and end asking for advise on what to look for and the AIB rip us for eight hours and give us list of improvment needed items.
Oh well I guess it is part of the game now, after the idiot with the peanut recall.
After this audit if we can kick butt I may just have to take a weekend in Vegas to celebrtate.
Awww Nuts MWS, that sounds worse than a visit to a proctologist.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :( Good Luck, kick butt and enjoy yourselves after!
We're hoping to sneak up to the cabin this weekend. With all the snow this winter we should have some great fishing, great scenery, and some trailblazing on our four wheeler trails!

Thanks 2010 SSRS.
DSS 9" rear with 3.90 gear
Pfadt suspension/Hotchkiss chassis brace
Forgeline Wheels VR3S/Nitto tires

Beware of the LPE Sisterhood
2010 BADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #3424
2010 BADSS

Hoverman, I wish we could be more help. 570 tracks his car alot so it's probably more of an issue there. For myself, I'm guessing I'll be an occasional tracker, although it was so fun last week who knows. But for me I think if LPE says we don't really need it at our power levels, I'd be inclined to believe them. One of the reasons we all picked this awesome company is because they do back up everything they have done with a warranty. I think if they really thought this was an issue they would take a different stance.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #3425
Hoverman

Drives: 2010 2ss
Yea! I know LPE knows their stuff. I'll stay where I'm at and use the $$ for something else.
Pfadt adj coilovers,Pfadt trailing arms,
Pfadt Dif Bushings, Pfadt rear tie rods
Hotchiss Cassis Brace, LPE 3.91 gears
MGW shifter,Billetprototypes Catch Can
LPE Pedals, LPE Sway bar links
LPE custom ralley stripes, Paint upgrade and 4 coats of clear
Lingengelter Embroidered Headrest
Foose wheels, LPE Brake calipers with slotted rotors
Hotchiss/LPE Strut Brace,
Hoverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #3426
mws444

Quote:
Awww Nuts MWS, that sounds worse than a visit to a proctologist.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :( Good Luck, kick butt and enjoy yourselves after!
We're hoping to sneak up to the cabin this weekend. With all the snow this winter we should have some great fishing, great scenery, and some trailblazing on our four wheeler trails!

Thanks 2010 SSRS.

Sounds like you guys have a plan for the summer, I hope to finish the shelling for this year in the next month or two then it is play time! Should have about three months to enjoy life.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #3427
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Hoverman, Catch can isn't really needed (as Paul and others have stated). It is needed when making a LOT of HP.

For our cars, it is more of a "nice to have".

If there is any oil going from the crankcase to the intake (part of the SMOG control process, as our cars are a closed loop regeneration - no breathers), I would rather "catch can" the oil and drain it rather than burn it. If any of the oil is being "recycled", it'll leave deposits in the engine (usually stuck on the exhaust valve).
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #3428
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
When you run hard, really hard on a road course -- as defined by down shifting and pulling higher than GM recommended RPMs -- like a not to be named professional driver that down shifts like he is in a paddle shift F1 car -- there will be oil pulled into your blower -- not that I have any experience with anything like this... I doubt most of you will encounter this. On the other hand, even if you don't, it won't hurt to be on the safe side.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #3429
mws444

Man guys I just went thru the toughest audit ever in 8 years and Kicked Butt!! That is the good part....Bad part is I have to miss the track for some family commitments (on the wifes side)
So I hope a couple of you all are going to burn some wicked fast times and post them up for me!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #3430
2010 BADSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Man guys I just went thru the toughest audit ever in 8 years and Kicked Butt!! That is the good part....Bad part is I have to miss the track for some family commitments (on the wifes side)
So I hope a couple of you all are going to burn some wicked fast times and post them up for me!!!!
Glad you made it through with flying colors. We just got home from the cabin. It was beautiful. It was still chilly, and there's still some snow in the shady areas. Our gutter collapsed and broke one of the boards on the deck from all the weight of the melting snow. Other than that everything was in great shape. We had a fun time riding the quads in the mud and snow, and the fishing was great. Sorry you missed the track. We're having another track day this coming saturday at Sandia motorsports if you get the urge to drive north. It's $20 which includes breakfast, coffee, and the use of the track from 8 till noon. Jim Guthrie will probably be on hand again for some instruction.