Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
removing the chrome taillight bezels

just wondering, if i were to remove the chrome taillight bezels on my car will water or anything getting into there cause any damage to the taillights or anything?
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosXC451 View Post
just wondering, if i were to remove the chrome taillight bezels on my car will water or anything getting into there cause any damage to the taillights or anything?
Nope, those things don't seal the lights as far as I can tell.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
The chrome bezels do absolutely nothing other that to cover there own hole slots and to fill the gap around the lights... They do not stop water from running behind the lights. If fact. If you open your trunk lid. On each side where the black plastic covering is. Water in channeled behind it and down behnd the light sockets. So, if you decide remove the bezel. For what ever reason. You can paint them, or remove them and leave them off. Although you'll see the gap around the lights and also the hole slots for the bezels. Most of the users are painting them either black or there car color and reinstalling them. A few of us have left them off. I left mine off and used a marine/auto black gasket to fill the void around the tail lights. To each his own! Mod away...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
LosXC451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
The chrome bezels do absolutely nothing other that to cover there own hole slots and to fill the gap around the lights... They do not stop water from running behind the lights. If fact. If you open your trunk lid. On each side where the black plastic covering is. Water in channeled behind it and down behnd the light sockets. So, if you decide remove the bezel. For what ever reason. You can paint them, or remove them and leave them off. Although you'll see the gap around the lights and also the hole slots for the bezels. Most of the users are painting them either black or there car color and reinstalling them. A few of us have left them off. I left mine off and used a marine/auto black gasket to fill the void around the tail lights. To each his own! Mod away...
ok thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
They just look funky without them.

vs

Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
LosXC451

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
They just look funky without them.

vs

yea im considering painting them black too i havent decided yet, i wanna take them out first and then decide whether i like them like that or not, but i cant figure out how to pop them out i can get to them fine but just getting them completely off is a problem for me lol
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Just gotta work at them. I pried the top 2 tabs, and the top side-tabs loose then just pushed out on the tabs. Think of trying to push the bezel out of the housing from the inside. If you push on the tabs evenly then the whole thing should pop out (even without out loosening the hard to reach ones). Be prepared to have sore finger tips.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

I've posted this previously. I removed my bezel and installed a marine/auto black rubber gasket around the light housing. Rememer, the bezel does nothing. so its not an issue of sealing up water tight. Check out these pics of my RJT 2SS LS3 rear end. (see don't mind)

Comment welcome. If anybodies interested in this mod. I'll give it up. Easy DIY.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
LosXC451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
I've posted this previously. I removed my bezel and installed a marine/auto black rubber gasket around the light housing. Rememer, the bezel does nothing. so its not an issue of sealing up water tight. Check out these pics of my RJT 2SS LS3 rear end. (see don't mind)

Comment welcome. If anybodies interested in this mod. I'll give it up. Easy DIY.
looks good, a DIY would be nice if you could.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
LosXC451

Quote:
Just gotta work at them. I pried the top 2 tabs, and the top side-tabs loose then just pushed out on the tabs. Think of trying to push the bezel out of the housing from the inside. If you push on the tabs evenly then the whole thing should pop out (even without out loosening the hard to reach ones). Be prepared to have sore finger tips.
thanks ill try that out and see how it goes for me
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
What did y'all use to paint them? Just a fine light sand and paint?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Quote:

Very true...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
midnight2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS, 2004 GMC sierra
i odered some from this webpage http://www.cleancutcreations.com/catalogpage3.html
if you send them yours then its not as much.
midnight2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #14
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
Quote:
To save your finger tips.... Once you get the top loosened up, take a flat head screw driver wrapped in a towel and stick it in the gap between the bezel and the taillight and just turn the screw driver slowly to work the bezel out. Work the screw driver from the middle to the bottom and it'll pop out.
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote