Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
ZL1 Addons rear diffuser with aftermarket exhaust

I had purchased a ZL1 Addons rear diffuser for NPP quad tips which I installed last month. I then decided to take advantage of a Black Friday sale at Solo Performance for their NPP delete axleback system. I was going to sell or return the diffuser but decided to hold onto it until I got the axleback installed.

Now that the NPP garbage can was no longer there to help support the diffuser I had to come up with some sort of bracket to secure the forward underside so it doesn’t wobble. I came up with modifying a pair of steel shelving brackets I had laying around in the garage. They were almost a perfect fit height wise, I just had to bend the tab and cut the other end. Then fit them in and drill a 1/4” hole through the diffuser and bracket, then secure with 1/4 20 stainless bolts. The top part of the bracket bolted onto an existing bolt that holds the heat shield to the car. Of course I sprayed the brackets with Galva Brite before installing. Worked out great!
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARBIE 1 View Post
Looks like your very handy but I must say that diffuser looks horrible. It looks home made and looks way out of place. I'd send it back.
If I knew how to weld I’d try to build a rat rod. I like to come up with solutions to problems with parts on hand. I get many differing comments on this diffuser, positive and negative. It really does look better in person than in pics!
Old 12-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
Great fab work it is very clean. The style is not my taste but it does look nice. I have to admit I would be scared of ripping it off pulling into a driveway though.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Great Fab. Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the $50 in shipping.
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKD 1LE View Post
Great Fab. Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the $50 in shipping.
Yea shipping is ridiculous! Call them, they’re pretty good at working it out for a good deal.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-J View Post
Great fab work it is very clean. The style is not my taste but it does look nice. I have to admit I would be scared of ripping it off pulling into a driveway though.
Thanks! It doesn’t sit any lower than the exhaust system really, but yes I’m going to be careful with it!
Old 12-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Looks like grill from 50's corvette.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I don't have an issue with the diffuser at all. I just wish an aftermarket company *cough*C7*cough* would take the time out to make a proper rear diffuser for our cars that addressed this issue. Unfortunately, even with that design, there's still a massive pocket of air being trapped behind the diffuser/bumper area. I think the only way to go is to have a fully custom build diffuser installed but, as folks here will always point out, it'll look like it's added on.

I think it's a good first step. What I would do now that you have this installed, is to find a way to eliminate as much of the air pocket in that area as possible.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I don't have an issue with the diffuser at all. I just wish an aftermarket company *cough*C7*cough* would take the time out to make a proper rear diffuser for our cars that addressed this issue. Unfortunately, even with that design, there's still a massive pocket of air being trapped behind the diffuser/bumper area. I think the only way to go is to have a fully custom build diffuser installed but, as folks here will always point out, it'll look like it's added on.

I think it's a good first step. What I would do now that you have this installed, is to find a way to eliminate as much of the air pocket in that area as possible.
Yes I do plan on fitting some sheet metal up in there. I’ll have to get creative though because that giant X-pipe is in the way!