Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Lucas Fuel Treatment

Someone suggested I try some Lucas fuel treatment in my Camaro. It really helps how well it runs, the engine is much quieter and it pulls much better down low. Seems to have stopped the LSPI. Anyone else ever try it?
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I use that and sometimes the techron fuel injector cleaner for the tank just to maintain cleaning the injectors. I've never felt a difference but I've never had a problem either. It's good stuff though
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Vec
Tejas Hillbilly

Drives: 15 SS 2SS/RS LS3M6
I use it every other tank.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
havent had a problem but maybe i should run some through it,im over 50,000 miles.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Barb i think you have some serious carbon deposit issues. You should run a seafoam or something of the sort through the vacuum lines.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I thought you were going to sell your car. Why waste money on fuel treatment?
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Direct injection cars need cleaning thru the intake. I like CRC intake cleaner - seems to perform better than Seafoam in my opinion. Your car might need a couple treatments to get it clean too.

I also always do it just prior to an oil change.
I'm betting your oil would be soot black after cleaning.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #8
CamaroBarb
Banned

I know someone who walnut blasts the intake valves. They warned me that running that CRC cleaner could do damage to the pistons because of the carbon getting stuck on the rings. If I keep it I will have the walnut blasting done but that doesn't clean the pistons. From the Cadillac forums when they pull the heads the pistons are just caked with carbon. Maybe the Lucas will help that.

Any of you that want to post up smart or negative comments you will be ignored.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
CamaroBarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vec View Post
I use it every other tank.
I'm going to try it every tank and see what happens.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
CamaroBarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Barb i think you have some serious carbon deposit issues. You should run a seafoam or something of the sort through the vacuum lines.
I don't understand why it would, I run it very hard most of the time. I'll bet it sees WOT every time I drive it. also seems if I don't run it hard it just feels sluggish and it has LSPI. It does use 1/2 qt of oil every 2k maybe that's why its carboning up all the time. I use Pennzoil Plat 5-30, someone told me to try 0-40 or 5-40?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
I talked to a ASE mechanic buddy of mine about the walnut blasting versus a Seafoam or CRC cleaner. His thoughts where he'd rather take a chance with carbon that had been softened up with a cleaner instead of the risk of someone improperly blasting them and leaving anything behind to potentially damaging cylinder walls, rings, etc.. Just an opinion not saying either is correct. Yes I understand the Volkswagen DI guys have been blasting for years. Think I'm leaning towards a cleaner eventually since can't find anyone within a hundred miles that does the blasting. I even got a hold of a VW shop and they didn't want to touch my Chevy. Just know when I had my intake off a couple thousand miles ago really thought it could use some sort of treatment to get rid of carbon build up on the valves. Wish I could find a solution and for now that has been if it isn't broke don't fix it.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #12
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
A solution should be coming in May 2020.

GF6 is a new motor oil for direct injection engines and will deal with the oils fuel dilution from the very high pressures generated in the cylinders (causing excessive timing chain and valve train wear) and carbon deposits on the intake valves. Some of the stats I've seen show five percent fuel dilution in the oil at 1800 to 2000 miles. How it will remove or stop carbon buildup on the intake valves I don't know but its supposed to from what I've read.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #13
CamaroBarb
Banned

I'm using Pennzoil Plat which already meets that spec according to Pennzoil. I have a idea someone may have had a tune installed in this car. Only way to find out really is to have the PCM reloaded at the dealer which they are willing to do BUT they can't save the old tune and don't know if it will solve the trouble I'm having. The car is very sensitive to fuel. I must use premium or it won't go, it feels like its loosing power when you 1st step on gas then it recovers then goes. Even with premium it feels very touchy while driving. Unfortunately its all over place so its hard to put a finger on what its actually doing. Another thing is the fuel mileage is better than I think it should be, like it was tuned very lean. I guess I should just let the dealer reload the PCM and see where it goes. Another option is a Hypertech tune that saves the old tune and loads theirs.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
I'm using Pennzoil Plat which already meets that spec according to Pennzoil. I have a idea someone may have had a tune installed in this car. Only way to find out really is to have the PCM reloaded at the dealer which they are willing to do BUT they can't save the old tune and don't know if it will solve the trouble I'm having. The car is very sensitive to fuel. I must use premium or it won't go, it feels like its loosing power when you 1st step on gas then it recovers then goes. Even with premium it feels very touchy while driving. Unfortunately its all over place so its hard to put a finger on what its actually doing. Another thing is the fuel mileage is better than I think it should be, like it was tuned very lean. I guess I should just let the dealer reload the PCM and see where it goes. Another option is a Hypertech tune that saves the old tune and loads theirs.
It doesn't matter if you run it hard. You bought the car used, not sure how many miles on it. But carbon buildup on the valves happens fast in DI engine and faster if the previous owner did not use top tier fuels. Run a seafoam or CRC or even water through a vacuum port when it is at operating temp it essentially will steam clean the combustion chambers. It may take a few times but everything you are saying is telling me you have excess carbon buildup. It is cheap and easy to do and you can do it yourself. In tank fuel additives don't do a whole lot, I believe using top tier fuels at every fill up it is overall more effective.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote