Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-06-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Tapping into a ground wire

Can you tap into a ground wire and use the tap wire as ground?

Reason I'm asking is because I screwed a bolt into a prexisting unused body panel hole above the passenger side headlights to use as a ground for a flashing side marker control module. After 4 years the screw has loosened from vibration causing fluctuation with the side markers and I can't fully tighten the bolt anymore. I was thinking could I tap into the ground wire and run the tap wire to another ground location, hence the question.

I was originally thinking of unscrewing the bolt and rescrewing it with a lock washer but I'm reluctant to try as the bolt may not even thread again into the hole.

Last edited by camguynj; 10-14-2021 at 12:33 PM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Can you get to the backside of the hole and put in a real bolt and nut instead of a self tapping screw? The other good option is to find an existing ground and connect to that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Can you tap into a ground wire and run the tap wire to another ground?

Reason I'm asking is because I screwed a bolt into a prexisting unused body panel hole above the passenger side headlights to use as a ground for a flashing side marker control module. After 4 years the screw has loosened from vibration causing fluctuation with the side markers and I can't fully tighten the bolt anymore. I was thinking could I tap into the ground wire and run the tap wire to another ground location, hence the question.

I was originally thinking of unscrewing the bolt and rescrewing it with a lock washer but I'm reluctant to try as the bolt may not even thread again into the hole.
Yes, with no issues.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated! BTW I can’t get a nut on the bolt. I figured the eziest thing would be to just run a tap wire to a 2nd ground location otherwise I would have to splice & extend the existing ground wire once I removed it to reach the new (ie. 2nd) ground location.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote