Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #29
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Anybody know where I can get a polycarbonate window to put in the insert? ACS does not make them.
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #30
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
This is what I understood them to be as well. And I never understood why it cost so much to clear-coat them vs. paint them black. Is CF difficult to clear-coat? Anyway, love my exposed CF insert, looks awesome.
What I was told at the time was all the inserts are Carbon Fiber. After inspection, any inserts with any kind of visual distortion (waves) were set aside to become a painted insert. They were just as strong as the other CF inserts but GM wanted the exposed inserts to be perfect visually as well. Then there was the special clear coat GM used. It was first used on the exposed CF roof panels on Corvettes. It had to be UV tolerant and was very expensive. I heard $2,500.00 per gallon but that was not confirmed. GM used the same expensive clear coat on the ZL1 exposed inserts. Just some more Exposed CF Insert trivia.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #31
13VertZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
I just picked up a new to me 2013 ZL1 convertible. It has a color matched insert, not black or Exposed carbon - did some of them come this way, or did the prior owner possibly have it painted? The window sticker specified carbon fiber insert?
13VertZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #32
Limelight

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13VertZL1 View Post
I just picked up a new to me 2013 ZL1 convertible. It has a color matched insert, not black or Exposed carbon - did some of them come this way, or did the prior owner possibly have it painted? The window sticker specified carbon fiber insert?
They all are CF - just the exposed weave CF was an upgrade. I’m not aware of them being body coloured as a factory option so it was probably painted by the previous owner.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #33
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13VertZL1 View Post
If you have a matching vin window sticker then it was removed for whatever reason. Yes the painted was a lower cost standard option, or cars that were ordered with stripes.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #34
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It's possible that the owner just decided that they'd rather have a color-matched insert rather than the ECF or black versions.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:22 AM   #35
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
The ZL1's were first made avail to order Nov. 2011 and production started in Jan. 2012. Initially Exposed Inserts were available with the first allocations/orders. In Feb. for the second round of allocations/orders Exposed Inserts were on constraint. GM did not figure that many people would buy the $600.00 option. By the third round of allocations in March the Exposed Inserts were off of constraint but the painted hoods were now on constraint. GM stepped up to the plate at this point and made the Exposed Insert a no charge option for 2012 ZL1's because the painted ones were not available. Mine was made in Mar. with the exposed insert which was how I ordered it in Nov. Just a bit of trivia on exposed inserts.
THIS!

Mine came with the flat black hood. I had painted to match some other work I had done (Carbon Flash like the anniversary car). Now I wish I had kept it and painted a new one.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #36
toast1984

Drives: 2013 camaro ZL1
So if you have the painted insert, would it be possible to strip the paint somehow down to the CF and then just clear coat it? Waves or whatnot wouldn't bother me.
toast1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #37
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast1984 View Post
So if you have the painted insert, would it be possible to strip the paint somehow down to the CF and then just clear coat it? Waves or whatnot wouldn't bother me.
Clearcoating carbon fiber is an expensive process, with expensive product. Your insert was painted for a reason, and most likely would not look well even if professionally done.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote