Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Ignition recall

I just received another ignition recall on my '10 SS. I bet i've gotten over 20
of them in the last couple of years. They even tracked me down at my new
Florida address. You would think they would give up by now.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
They won't. Big Brother tracks recall repair rates. GM is on the hook for every customer that doesn't get it done. I did my own recall and closed it out with GM. I got two new keys, and kept the switchblades. If you know a friendly dealership I am sure you could get them to do the same.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I bought mine with it done, wish they never did this stupid recall, I want my key blade back!

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
They're trying to keep you safe.

Why are you resisting?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
I bought mine with it done, wish they never did this stupid recall, I want my key blade back!
you realise its quite easy right? Just need to follow the guide. Simply remove the blade from the plastic, and get a roll pin and reassemble. I let them do it, then completely undid it. hence no more letters
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:54 AM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

Why are you resisting?
I've had my factory keys on my '10 SS for over 9 years now. I like it
just the way it is. There's really no way my knee could ever accidently
hit the ignition key while driving imo.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Here's what's really funny, I bought my 2011 used in 2014. It came with one switchblade and one recall key, and an extra key without a fob. The buttons wore off the switchblade, so I went to the dealership to get a new fob, assuming it be the recall variety...nope, it was a switchblade they sold me, and cut it for no charge. So much for the recall I guess.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:

Why are you resisting?
Serious question.... has there ever been one documented incident due to the switchblade ignition key in a 5th gen Camaro? My understanding is that there were incidents in other GM switchblade ignition vehicles where hanging keychain objects on the fob was deemed to be a contributing factor so they extended the recall to the Camaro as well.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #9
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
They won't. Big Brother tracks recall repair rates. GM is on the hook for every customer that doesn't get it done. I did my own recall and closed it out with GM. I got two new keys, and kept the switchblades. If you know a friendly dealership I am sure you could get them to do the same.
This... I have worked in dealerships for over 35 years. Any manufacturer is going to keep sending recall notices until the recall is done. They don't "give up." As long as the dealer shows the recall was done they are covered. So, as JerTM said, if you have a good relationship with the dealer you can ask if you can have the old blades back. I did and I got mine back and re-stalled them in the fobs when I got home. I know this particular fob recall seems a little extreme, but there are documented cases of customers that have ignored other, more dangerous recalls and people ended up losing their life because of it. This why they won't "give up" until the recall is complete.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Serious question.... has there ever been one documented incident due to the switchblade ignition key in a 5th gen Camaro? My understanding is that there were incidents in other GM switchblade ignition vehicles where hanging keychain objects on the fob was deemed to be a contributing factor so they extended the recall to the Camaro as well.
Had my 2012 for 3+ years and always thought the key change was dumb big brother meddling to protect incompetents and I could never hit it with my knee.

I am 6’2”. One day I was getting off the highway and moved my leg and bumped the key fob and it shut the car off. No power steering, power brakes, etc. I could still steer and stop just took more force. After a couple of seconds I realized what had happened and restarted the car. A lesser driver might have paniced but it was not really a big problem.

Si it CAN happen but doesnt have to be a big problem. I had the key changed. Dont like it as well as the switchblade but oh well.

Good thing all us Camaro owners are top notch, skilled drivers!!
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't know why any dealer would be stupid enough to help you circumvent a safety recall. They are opening themselves up to huge liability if they do.

I would never question or try to avoid a safety recall, nor would I ever buy a used car with an outstanding recall. In fact, it should be illegal to sell a car with outstanding recalls.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
I don't get it. I was proving to my wife how stupid this recall is, and how it was driver error. I was doing 45mph, and shut the car off myself. I did a punch of slalom type turns with barely any extra effort, then slammed on the brakes. The car came to a stop no different then with the car on.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
I don't know why any dealer would be stupid enough to help you circumvent a safety recall. They are opening themselves up to huge liability if they do.

I would never question or try to avoid a safety recall, nor would I ever buy a used car with an outstanding recall. In fact, it should be illegal to sell a car with outstanding recalls.
You are correct, if they blatantly close the recall without doing the correct action then they are liable. I do the recalls on the cars that come in and the customer has given consent. I haven't skated passed any even my own. To get the recall notices to stop I suggest going to the dealership and having it done. There is nothing stopping you from having two new blades cut and put in the remote at a later date if you choose.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #14
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Had my 2012 for 3+ years and always thought the key change was dumb big brother meddling to protect incompetents and I could never hit it with my knee.

I am 6’2”. One day I was getting off the highway and moved my leg and bumped the key fob and it shut the car off. No power steering, power brakes, etc. I could still steer and stop just took more force. After a couple of seconds I realized what had happened and restarted the car. A lesser driver might have paniced but it was not really a big problem.

Si it CAN happen but doesnt have to be a big problem. I had the key changed. Dont like it as well as the switchblade but oh well.

Good thing all us Camaro owners are top notch, skilled drivers!!
Oh wow! Good to know cause I'm 6'3" Just curious the way you moved your leg was it a routine movement or an exception movement ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote