Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
the RS package rims

on the chevy website where you can configure your own camaro, it shows 'black' rims when I select the "RS Package", quoting "midnight silver".

Is this a slight error in the website design or does the RS package really come with black rims? From the pictures of actual owners on this forum, the RS package rims seem to be plain silver to me.

I'm kind of obsessed with the "Camaro Black" version, but can not afford +4g to get the 21 inch black rims.

wondering why the website shows black rims with RS package and when chevy is going to start taking orders for the black version they showed at that auto show late 2008.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
2SS RS

Drives: honda civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackka View Post
on the chevy website where you can configure your own camaro, it shows 'black' rims when I select the "RS Package", quoting "midnight silver".

Is this a slight error in the website design or does the RS package really come with black rims? From the pictures of actual owners on this forum, the RS package rims seem to be plain silver to me.

I'm kind of obsessed with the "Camaro Black" version, but can not afford +4g to get the 21 inch black rims.

wondering why the website shows black rims with RS package and when chevy is going to start taking orders for the black version they showed at that auto show late 2008.
More of false advertising than an error. I would equate the midnight silvers to the polished with brake dust. They look nice, but they are no where near as dark as the website.
2SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
jackka

do you think there would be a way to get those silver RS package rims painted in black?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
They are not black. They are darker than silver and look awesome on my black
SS/RS. I love them. I would not have gotten them if they were black.
Here are mine:

BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
2SS RS

Drives: honda civic
Yea... I know people on the site had them done professionally... I would not try and do it yourself. Either way you're at risk of them chipping. May be better off buying some black rims? Chevy has the optional more expensive black rims, but they are a diff design.
2SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
they arent black ive seen in person, they almost look like cyber grey was light sprayed on them. they look good though
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Tecca

Drives: ...
If you want what seems the exact color on the website I would get them perma-chromed. They have a black chrome that looks cool. Pretty much they send you a set of rims, and you send yours back to them.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
jackka

teccboxx,

by "They", do you mean chevy dealers?
are you saying that I can get the RS package 20" rims in black chrome?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
teccboxx,

by "They", do you mean chevy dealers?
are you saying that I can get the RS package 20" rims in black chrome?
No, not from GM.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
Old Timer

Drives: 2005 Chevy Van
THERE AN'T NOTHING LIKE SEEING THE REAL THING

Quote:

I spent a lot of time deciding if I wanted to stay with the RS wheels, the color of the car you get plays a big part in how much you think the midnight silver wheels appeal to you. Do yourself a favor, eyeball the RS wheels youself in real time, its the only way to know. F.Y.I., you certainly can change the color of any painted wheel, however, while the regular painting process produces a very brittle & easily chippable result, powder coating is the state of the art for this Type of a job.
Old Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Quackaddict

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
If you want what seems the exact color on the website I would get them perma-chromed. They have a black chrome that looks cool. Pretty much they send you a set of rims, and you send yours back to them.
Could you post up some more info on this. I am very interested I really want an all black wheel but I love my RS wheels so this may be exactly what I am looking for.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
jackka

yes, I would love some info on how to get the RS package rims either

POWDER COATED or PERMA-CHROMED in black.

anybody familiar with this type of stuff?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
Old Timer

Drives: 2005 Chevy Van
POWDER COATING

Quote:
yes, I would love some info on how to get the RS package rims either

POWDER COATED or PERMA-CHROMED in black.

anybody familiar with this type of stuff?
This process includes electrically charging the item involved to create a electron field to allow the vaporized color particles to become attracted to the item. After a short while the item is then exposed to a heating oven which will cure the finish. This process produces some of the finest paint work we are all currently seeing on almost every painted surface that is manufactured today. Look in the phone book in your area, or on-line & your will find a local master of this craft. It is not that expensive compared to traditional painting. I have used this process & it is very cool. no paint runs in the crevices & a perfect job every time.
Old Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
to quote Borat: "the suit is not black"
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote