Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Track Prep Question

The instructions for removing water deflectors and tires dams in very vague in the instructions. Can someone tell me which ones are which? Are the water deflectors the rubber squeegee looking pieces? anyone with pics would be helpful? See below:

Underbody Air Deflector

The underbody air deflector tire dam kit (Fig. 13) provided with the ZL1 1LE reduces the amount of aerodynamic lift on the front axle for better handling on a closed course. The original tire dams must be reinstalled after a track event.

Water Deflector

When operating the ZL1 1LE on a closed course in hot temperatures, remove the underhood water deflector to increase airflow and improve cooling. The deflector is secured by three bolts. Replace the water deflector immediately after track use to protect the engine compartment from water intrusion.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
The water deflector is attached to the underside of the hood. It attaches with a few screws and allow more airflow through the opening in the hood.

The air deflectors are those small rubber pieces on the leading edges of the car just in front of the wheels. They attach with a few screws as well and are easily removed. The larger curved deflectors stay attached. I'll see if I can dig up the pictures for you.

The smaller rubber pieces weren't worth me taking on and off every track visit so I just left those off. I do remove and replace the water deflector on the hood though.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Water deflector is the plastic part that bolts to the under side of the hood. 3 10mm bolts removes it.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
How many people just left that water deflector off? I was thinking about just taking it off and leaving it off. It rarely rains in CA, and even when it does I don't usually drive my Camaro in it.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
How many people just left that water deflector off? I was thinking about just taking it off and leaving it off. It rarely rains in CA, and even when it does I don't usually drive my Camaro in it.
What about when you wash it?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
What about when you wash it?
ah yes, good point
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
UNDERBODY AIR DEFLECTOR TIRE DAM KIT

I think this was confusing partly because there is only one document.
• One Track Preparation Guide.
• One Camaro Owner’s Manual.
• One High Performance Owner’s Manual Supplement.
These "year specific" documents must spans all options for the SS, 1LE, ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE.
The confusion gets worse when you look at both the 2017 and 2018 documents which are slightly different on this topic.

References:
2018 Camaro Owners Manual - 2018 Owners manual.pdf
2018 TRACK PREPARATION Guide - Camaro 2018 track preparation guide.pdf
2017 Camaro Owners Manual - 2017 Owners manual.pdf
2017 Camaro High performance Supplement - 2017 ZL1&1LE Performance Supplement.pdf

The ZL1 "Air Deflector" is not to be confused with the SS "Front Tire Deflectors, Lower
Control Arm Deflectors, and Disc Splash Shields.

• For the 2018 ZL1 and ZL1 1LE - Page3 of the 2018 Track Guide.
----○ The Air Deflector kit was installed at the dealer and is to remain there.
• For the 2018 SS - Page200 of the 2018 owners manual.
----○ Remove the tire deflectors in the front of the vehicle, and replace the original deflector and splash shield with the tall deflector and small splash shield.

• For the 2017 ZL1 - Page17 of the HP supplement.
----○ Says there is an air deflector kit to replace.
• For the 2017 SS - Page207 -208 of the owners manual.
----○ Remove the tire deflectors in the front of the vehicle, and replace the original deflector and splash shield with the tall deflector and small splash shield.

From the 2018 Camaro Owner’s Manual: Page200
Front Tire Deflectors, Lower
Control Arm Deflectors, and
Disc Splash Shields (SS Only)
Before any racing event, remove the
tire deflectors in the front of the
vehicle, and replace the original
deflector and splash shield with the
tall deflector and small splash
shield.

From the 2018 TRACK PREPARATION Guide: Page3
UNDERBODY AIR DEFLECTOR TIRE DAM KIT
Model: Camaro ZL1 Coupe and Camaro ZL1 with the 1LE Performance Package
The Underbody Air Deflector Tire Dam Kit provided with Camaro ZL1 vehicles helps reduce the amount of aerodynamic lift on the front axle for optimum handling.
Please note: The Underbody Air Deflector Kit is installed at the time of Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) and is to remain on the car.

REPLACE THE TIRE DEFLECTOR AND FRONT DISC BRAKE SPLASH SHIELD
Model: Camaro SS Coupe only
Before any racing event, remove the tire deflectors in the front of the vehicle and replace the original control arm deflector and front disc brake splash shield with the tall deflector and small splash shield (found in the trunk). Racetrack driving with the original front disc brake splash shield and front tire deflector may result in brake pedal fade due to high rotor temperatures. For full details on how to install the tall deflector and small splash shield, see the Camaro Owner’s Manual (pages 206-208).
WOOPS! "The pages reference actually refers to the 2017 Camaro Owners Manual"
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ro1stPrint.pdf
Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
I run out @ COTA and I've met one of the ZL1 / 1LE Program Managers for team Camaro. He told me take the rain guard out for Texas, I would assume California is the same thing. Also if you're water washing your car STILL you need to look into ONR / Obsessed garage youtube channel. I've cut down to 4 water washes a year since discovering ONR.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
The instructions for removing water deflectors and tires dams in very vague in the instructions. Can someone tell me which ones are which? Are the water deflectors the rubber squeegee looking pieces? anyone with pics would be helpful? See below:

Underbody Air Deflector

The underbody air deflector tire dam kit (Fig. 13) provided with the ZL1 1LE reduces the amount of aerodynamic lift on the front axle for better handling on a closed course. The original tire dams must be reinstalled after a track event.

Water Deflector

When operating the ZL1 1LE on a closed course in hot temperatures, remove the underhood water deflector to increase airflow and improve cooling. The deflector is secured by three bolts. Replace the water deflector immediately after track use to protect the engine compartment from water intrusion.
Page 17 of the 2017 Camaro High Performance Supplement is very confusing. It talks as if you were handed a kit by the dealer when you took delivery. The "Kit" is already installed. What they're calling the "Original Tire Dam" are the straight pieces (green) that block air from the channels formed by what they call the "Underbody Air Deflector Tire Dam Kit" (yellow). The front air dam (orange) is not even mentioned.

Name:  TireDam.HPSupplement.colored.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  46.3 KB

If you will drive your car on a road coarse you'll want to remove the ones I've painted green. This will provide supplemental cooling for your front tires and provide additional down-force. The cooling isn't needed for the short runs at the drag strip and the extra down-force will probably increase your ET. Leaving it on will help improve highway gas mileage, again due to less downforce (drag).

To summarize, the only pieces that may need to be removed and reinstalled are the straight pieces (green) on right and left in front of the curved pieces that lead to the tires.

The "Water Deflector" is plastic piece under the hood just to the rear of the hood latch. Page 17 shows the 3 bolts (10 mm) that need to be removed to take it off. I leave mine off unless I'm washing it or driving in the rain (only did this once).

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I leave my water deflector off. I have washed the car many times and do not see any negative effects. The car is in a garage so no worries. I might install it if the car was a DD.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Page 17 of the 2017 Camaro High Performance Supplement is very confusing. It talks as if you were handed a kit by the dealer when you took delivery. The "Kit" is already installed. What they're calling the "Original Tire Dam" are the straight pieces (green) that block air from the channels formed by what they call the "Underbody Air Deflector Tire Dam Kit" (yellow). The front air dam (orange) is not even mentioned.

Attachment 922168

If you will drive your car on a road coarse you'll want to remove the ones I've painted green. This will provide supplemental cooling for your front tires and provide additional down-force. The cooling isn't needed for the short runs at the drag strip and the extra down-force will probably increase your ET. Leaving it on will help improve highway gas mileage, again due to less downforce (drag).

To summarize, the only pieces that may need to be removed and reinstalled are the straight pieces (green) on right and left in front of the curved pieces that lead to the tires.

The "Water Deflector" is plastic piece under the hood just to the rear of the hood latch. Page 17 shows the 3 bolts (10 mm) that need to be removed to take it off. I leave mine off unless I'm washing it or driving in the rain (only did this once).

--Cal
Always appreciate your post! Very informative and easy to understand. I only drive my car weekends and some evenings. Any reason to re-install tire tire dams? Also, my car is garage kept and I never drive in the rain. I could leave the water deflector off, but I do wash my car fairly often? Not sure how the water deflector works? After inspecting it, I can see it is wide open even with the deflector on, so when washing the water still goes through it and runs down? Thanks
Old 03-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Always appreciate your post! Very informative and easy to understand. I only drive my car weekends and some evenings. Any reason to re-install tire tire dams? Also, my car is garage kept and I never drive in the rain. I could leave the water deflector off, but I do wash my car fairly often? Not sure how the water deflector works? After inspecting it, I can see it is wide open even with the deflector on, so when washing the water still goes through it and runs down? Thanks
It appears that the water deflector channels the water to a particular location to drain thru. Mine is off but, I hope to remember to put it back on when I give it a full wash.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Thank you. I always try to provide what I would like to see if I were looking for answers.

When I wash my car with the garden hose I see more water pooling on the front of the engine, along the fan shroud, and hood latch area. It's just a little more to wipe down afterward. I don't even bother putting the water deflector back on anymore. I just keep the sprayer on "mist" when I'm rinsing the hood. I always wipe down the engine compartment anyway so it's no big deal. If I had to drive it in the rain, though, I'd definitely put it back on. Without the deflector, the turbulent air would have it all over the engine compartment.

If I were you I'd leave all the air dams and deflectors on. You'll tend to get better gas mileage and you don't need to store anything.

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #14
Pollock
LT4 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post

Attachment 922168

--Cal

I do not think my car has those green pieces on it. It was built in 6/18. Am I missing something. I have the other colors in the picture. Or can you not really see it when laying on the ground looking at the front
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote