Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Black Market Racing

Drives: Yours
WOOOOOOOOW! Chrysler has to pay out $150 million in death of a 4 year old!

Apparently Chrysler has settled with several other cases where this same incident happened... Not this time!

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/03/news...rokee-verdict/
Black Market Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Wow this really sad no matter what manufacturer it was.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Black Market Racing

Drives: Yours
Whats sad is that its happened before and they just ended up settling out of court and kept it quiet.
Black Market Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Reminds me of the Remington 700. Most people will agree to the company's settlement offer because nothing too serious happened to them. But when somebody loses a child the settlement can't suffice.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
96MrBass

Kinda weird that the GM accidents were being reported daily but those were hush hush.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
96MrBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM View Post
Reminds me of the Remington 700. Most people will agree to the company's settlement offer because nothing too serious happened to them. But when somebody loses a child the settlement can't suffice.
How true when people are getting paid it's amazing what can be forgotten.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
Reineke

Drives: 2010 SW Camaro 2SS RS 6M
I cannot imagine what the witnesses went through after seeing the child trying to get out and hollering for help. It breaks my heart. I think I would be pretty scorched trying to get the kid out. I certainly hope I never have to be put in that position. I have practiced getting my toddler out of the car seat quickly in the event of an emergency and also have a seat belt cutter and carry a knife incase the belts need to be cut.
Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reineke View Post
I cannot imagine what the witnesses went through after seeing the child trying to get out and hollering for help. It breaks my heart. I think I would be pretty scorched trying to get the kid out. I certainly hope I never have to be put in that position. I have practiced getting my toddler out of the car seat quickly in the event of an emergency and also have a seat belt cutter and carry a knife incase the belts need to be cut.
This is something i would never ever wish anyone go thru. It is a shame that this happened and pray for this family.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
pretty sure through Chrysler appeals and judge 'reductions' and lawyers fees the family will be lucky to collect a few million.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Wow, Reminds me of the Ford Pinto gas tank problem back in the day.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I'm all for compensation but even if the family got $150 million from Chrysler does that really help them get over the loss of their son? Kind of ridiculous, they can give them 1 million or 1 billion they still lost a son, I don't see the point in trying to get more and more money.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Terrible tragedy for all involved. I can not imagine the pain the family feels, or those who tried to assist. There is no dollar amount that will ease that family's pain. The amount of the settlement is the only way to somewhat penalize those responsible. It's unfortunate there's no mention of criminal charges either. If Chrysler was offering settlements to others and was aware of the issue without fixing it, I'd say they are guilty of murder.
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
G6Flyer

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
I'm all for compensation but even if the family got $150 million from Chrysler does that really help them get over the loss of their son? Kind of ridiculous, they can give them 1 million or 1 billion they still lost a son, I don't see the point in trying to get more and more money.

Unfortunately, auto manufacturers sometimes don't have their customers' best interests in mind when making decisions.

The Ivey Memo (http://jalopnik.com/the-ivey-memo-th...-gm-1559089963) is a 1973 internal study at Oldsmobile that said it would cost ~$2.40/vehicle to settle wrongful death suits, so they should spend a maximum of $2.20/vehicle to prevent said deaths. These analyses are still done to determine how much to spend on safety devices.

Since car companies sometimes don't make good decisions, massive jury verdicts is some of the only leverage available to make manufacturers build safer vehicles.

Also, before you vilify the plaintiffs and/or attorneys in the case, remember it was the jury that came up with the $150 million award... They must have thought Chrysler's conduct was pretty egregious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G6Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #14
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Whatever they can get is always the name of the game!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote