Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
Maverick1776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Are HAWK brakes and rotors good ?

I'm looking into buying slotted/drilled rotors and a set a brake pads.
I heard Hawk was a good brand. Looking for minimal dust, so I was going to choose the ceramic ones.
I have a 2013 LS with 20" SS wheels. I would like to change the calipers as well or get a cover. Any suggestions on good brake performance without going into the 1000's with Brembo equipment ?
Maverick1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
From the advice found on this site i bought them. But personally... I hated them and took them off my car within 10 000km. They were noisy, vibrated. Plus they didn't come with new shims, or fit properly. Dust was less. Replaced them with akebono pads and centric slotted rotors with black painted hats and was way happier for far less money.

The v8 guys seem to swear by them. On my 1lt they werent worth the hype imo. Just my 2 cents.... in sure many will disagree. I think i have the front pads still in the garage, free of you want to pay the shipping lol.

As for upgrading. I loved stop tech for the money when i had them. If you are looking for better performance look at ebc pads and go with slotted rotors not drilled, drilled are more for looks then performance.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
My suggestion is upgrading to some SS take offs. Paint or powder coat the calipers and the rotor hat and call it a day. It is by far the biggest most affordable brake package upgrade.

I still big boy track on my stock SS brake set up from time to time and I have a very expensive BBK

FYI less dust means less stopping.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
lkurek

Drives: 2015 CAMARO
So how would you compare the Hawk pads to the EBC red? Ive used the EBC before on my 05 Cts-v, and was happy with them. Never used hawk pads, though, so I have nothing to compare to....
lkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #5
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkurek View Post
So how would you compare the Hawk pads to the EBC red? Ive used the EBC before on my 05 Cts-v, and was happy with them. Never used hawk pads, though, so I have nothing to compare to....
Which hawk pads? Ceramic or the semi metallic.

Ebc red is good product. Ive had good luck with them before as well
Old 05-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #6
lkurek

Drives: 2015 CAMARO
I have zero clue on the Hawk pads....as I've never used them before, but I see a lot of chatter on the lists about them. Not so much on the EBC brakes though....which is why I was asking My gut reaction tells me to stocstick with what I know, but hey...if there is a better alternative out there, I'm open to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
Which hawk pads? Ceramic or the semi metallic.

Ebc red is good product. Ive had good luck with them before as well
lkurek is offline   Reply With Quote