Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
Yep, kind of what I expected from some of you....

Hey SPANKT U...for your information there are many cars w/ manual transmissions that have a gear indicator. I'm sure you are such an expert driver you would never need such nonsense. Like a gear indicator in an automatic is necessary? Who the hell ever looks to see if you are in drive, reverse, or park with an automatic? Like you don't know?? Yet there is one in every car with an automatic transmission.

I gear indicator would be more useful to me than some of the stuff on the DIC. Like I give a damn about my instant fuel mileage, or what my coolant temp is. Yeah you need to know that all the time.

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.
LOL...when you put it in gear....it tends to stay in that gear. Unless you have a goldfish memory its really not a problem.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Alright Guys ~ easy now. It was an honest question. The thought has crossed my mind.

The indicator would be nice for those ppl who don't drive them everyday.

For those who do...

We'll take the gear!...

Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
Red Rocker
I can't drive 55!

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
Yep, kind of what I expected from some of you....

Hey SPANKT U...for your information there are many cars w/ manual transmissions that have a gear indicator. I'm sure you are such an expert driver you would never need such nonsense. Like a gear indicator in an automatic is necessary? Who the hell ever looks to see if you are in drive, reverse, or park with an automatic? Like you don't know?? Yet there is one in every car with an automatic transmission.

I gear indicator would be more useful to me than some of the stuff on the DIC. Like I give a damn about my instant fuel mileage, or what my coolant temp is. Yeah you need to know that all the time.

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.
You can't tee yourself up like that and not expect to get hit.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird

Your car has a gear change indicator.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
diddiyo

Drives: .
shoulda bought an automatic?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Duder...thanks, duh. That was really helpful.

A simple NO would have been sufficient. I have NEVER responded to a thread with anything insulting no matter how dumb I thought the question was. But I guess that's just me.

OK geniuses, if I am such an idiot why do you need a gear indicator in an automatic?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #21
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Insert your own word here.

Ask a ____ question, get a ____ answer.

The hand and the tachometer are very good gear indicators. Even the feel of the available torque is a pretty good indicator.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #22
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Russ, sorry to see that you got jumped on a bit here. I agree that a simple 'no' would have been sufficient. I am not sure about an indicator for every gear. I think you get more used to the car and the sound the more you drive it. Give it some time. I do think that a Reverse indicator would be nice given it is in a different location than most 5 speeds and even a few 6 speeds.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #23
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I will side with the OP here in this case. Not b/c I need one to know what gear I am in. Hand, tach, torque, sound... all great indicators of what gear I am in. I just think it would be cool. My buddy's 370Z has it, not that I needed it but I thought it was cool. I too have found myself wondering hmmmm am I in 4th or 6th. It is tough to tell sometimes but a quick tap of the vertical pedal or a flip of the stick and try to switch to 6th... oh I was in 6th, or vice versa. Not a totally dumb question...

I did LOL at some of the responses though and how personal the OP took it...
Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
If the shifter is in the back position and the tach is over 2000 rpms and you are going 70+. This is 4th. If its under 2000. You got 6th. I can set my cruise at 70 and my rpms are around 1600. @ 80 the rpms are just under 2000. The earlier posts were correct. "Hand and Tach" - However, I thought some technical information rather than some smartass reply would be more helpful.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #25
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I didn't intend for my last post to be offensive. It's just surprising for someone that has driven several manual transmissions to have this problem at all.

I work in a lot of dangerous surroundings around a lot of dangerous heavy equipment. One of the most important things is to constantly be aware of your situation and your surroundings. Driving a car should be no different. Learn the equipment and pay attention and live to work another day.

No offense but, the first indicator lights in cars were afterall called "idiot" lights.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #26
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post

Your car has a gear change indicator.
WIN
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #27
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Roger that

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
That'll do...

Not cool guys.

He asked an honest question and got flack...

Closed Thread