Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #141
don0fthedead

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZ28 View Post
American made? The Camaro is made in Canada.

Canada is in North America =P
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #142
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Since GM is an American OWNED Company The Camaro is considered an American car built in North America...
Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #143
FC_GIBB

Drives: 2012 Impala LTZ
Quote:
If you've ever been to Canada, they consider themselves "American's"

I pissed one off one time and said "no you're not your Canadian"
This was in Niagra falls, eh. Some bar or strip club when i was a 19yr old fresh young sailor.

Also the Gen5 was engineered by Ausies as were the G8 and GTO

Australia is helluva good time too! it was sweet seeing there Holden Ute's all hopped up w/ the LS2 motor.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "'The United States of America", for an amount "up to, and including my life". That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #144
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
The hate has gone on for 40 some years. I think is started when the first Z28 came out. Ford just could not keep up. That 302 was just to much for them stangs.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #145
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I think the better title for your thread would have been, "Why do SOME Mustang owners have so much hate toward Camaro owners."

I will agree with others who basically said, welcome to reality. Most people have specific reasons why they like what they like, others just know that they like something without being able to provide someone else with an explanation. It is also a classic case of nurture versus nature. If you were raised by parents/family who believed that one brand is superior to another, then you are very likely to hold similar values. It's not unlike how people choose their favorite sports team or their religious beliefs.

I think "hate" is a pretty strong word to use. Yes, there has always been a lot of back and forth between fans of both cars (not unlike what occurs with folks and their sports teams) but that is usually just fun-and-games. Unfortunately, some people get too serious about the subject and that is when brand loyalty begins to go awry.

While I cannot make sense of your post, I believe you are trying to say Mustang owners hate Camaro owners because they are jealous. Did I get that right? If so, that ranks as one of the most asinine things I continually hear. Is there some special club you have to be a part of in order to buy a Camaro? If not, and the person believes the Camaro is something to be jealous of, then why would they not just go out and buy a Camaro?
I'd have to agree, most of the people who said I should have gotten a mustang or a challenger instead had never even bought, driven, or even stood next to one. Most are just fanboys who have heard from other fanboy friends or there parents and have latched onto the car. Most with out an knowledge of any of the cars. Just like most people pick there favorite sports teams. I'm a Bengals and Buckeye fan because I live in Ohio and I'm a student at OSU. I've talked to people who are fans of rival teams just because everyone is a fan of the home team.

Now my grandpa is a hardcore Chevy only kinda guy. But hes has 60+ automotive and engineering experience under his belt. He's driven so many cars from so many brands that he's earned the right to hold his opinion. But I have formed my own opinions. I love all of the muscle cars and I hope to own a Mustang and a Challenger. Don't know about the charger yet, I don't like it. Too contemporary of a body style for my liking.

As for the "jealous ones envy" comment, that is a very ignorant and asinine comment. Why would someone be jealous of another when they bought the car they've always wanted. Whether it be a Chevy, Dodge or Ford.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #146
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I still haven't run across any that actually hated the Camaro. I think MOST Mustang owners like the competition. If they can outsell and out run the Camaro then they have bragging rights.. plus incentive now to build a better car, which it seems like Ford is trying to do..
It's all good... it's the old "whatever you can do I can do better" engineering approach.. and All owners of Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers will benefit.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #147
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
I am comparing the best times of two cars, just mentioning the Camaros run was in very favorable -1600 DA.

The quickest GT500 time stock is 12.25 with a slow 2.11 60 foot time... But if you want to pick a random tire spinning magazine time then ok. Back to the original topic, the Cobra weights 3665. Hot Rod said their Camaro SS weighed 3950. Is that a typo/incorrect? It was in here, 5th paragraph, first sentence. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ons/index.html
The weight of a 2010 camaro M6 is 3860. The weight of the automatic is 3910. This is common knowledge. You can find it anywhere. Although I have also read 3849 for the SS...and I am thinking maybe that is the weight for a 1SS...slightly lighter, but no one can confirm this.

What were the specifics on the 12.4 03 cobra run (temp, elevation etc)? Who was driving?...I am guessing Evan smith? one of the best drivers in the world. Also, there have been two 12.6 runs for the camaro all ready, not just one.

I agree for the most part. They are putting down very similar numbers to the wheels (cobra was under rated at 390 no doubt). The difference should be roughly 2 tenths on average between the two.

But yeah....it is pretty much a 200lb difference...not 300...
So dont have a friend with you or your advantage is gone.

BTW...a quick check at another article in Hot Rod (2010 camaro first test) showed that they actually weighed the camaro with a FULL TANK of fuel and it came in at 3859. They also said the manufacturer weight claim was 3849. So im not sure. It is 3860 or 3849 for M6,
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...aro/index.html

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 02-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #148
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Well I used to have a supercharged 07 mustang GT with a custom built engine making 638rwhp, My Camaro is running about half a second faster in the 1/4th with almost a 100hp disadvantage. And this is the stock engine at 6psi compared to running 11psi in a custom engine on my mustang.

So to me the camaro is just an amazing piece of engineering.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #149
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
you know guys,i am probably one of the oldest people in this forum.i say ,go with "WHAT EVER ROCKS YOUR BOAT".if everyone liked the same car,they would only have to make one.all my life,when i bought a new car,i've always looked at them as a piece of art and i treat them the same way.to me the new camaro is truly a work of art.it is my monalisa and the mustang is dagwood.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #150
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
I just bought my GT and I still love the Camaro, and intend to use this forum for general car learning.

I didnt want the best V8 money could buy so I bought a modest GT. Fast enough for me. Oh look, my dealer can install a Ford Racing supercharger for like 3 grand. We both have fast cars.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #151
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33x View Post
Well I used to have a supercharged 07 mustang GT with a custom built engine making 638rwhp, My Camaro is running about half a second faster in the 1/4th with almost a 100hp disadvantage. And this is the stock engine at 6psi compared to running 11psi in a custom engine on my mustang.

So to me the camaro is just an amazing piece of engineering.
No surprise there. Torque is the name of the game in drag racing. What kind of supercharger did you run on your '07, centrifugal or roots/screw? The Maggie on the LS3 is going to make more torque and probably more of it under the curve given its cubic inches. What were the RWTQ differences between your '07 and the SS?

I think too many people get hung up on the peak horsepower numbers when looking at a dyno sheet instead of focusing on where the car is making iis power and for how long in the power band. I'd rather have a car that makes over 600rwtq from 3500-6500rpm than one that makes 750rwtq from 4500-6000rpm.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #152
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Mustangs are like anklebiters. I've owned several Camaros over the years and I always get Mustang owners running up beside me racing their engines and trying to be noisy -- even at times when it's clear I have the stronger car. It always cracks me up. I've never done this to Mustang owners and I don't believe my other Camaro friends do this either. It just seems to be in the Mustang breed to want to impress Camaro owners.

I appreciate all the cars, I always choose mine because they speak to me personally.

Two or three weeks back, a spotless new red and white Dodge Viper rolled up beside me and revved his engine a bit. Instead of feeling intimidated as intended, I was in awe. It was one beautiful car.

So yeah, Mustangs are great, but their owners usually crack me up
Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #153
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
Mustangs are like anklebiters. I've owned several Camaros over the years and I always get Mustang owners running up beside me racing their engines and trying to be noisy -- even at times when it's clear I have the stronger car. It always cracks me up. I've never done this to Mustang owners and I don't believe my other Camaro friends do this either. It just seems to be in the Mustang breed to want to impress Camaro owners.
Camaro guys do that same shit, you better believe it. I've had to have a little talk with a couple about this same behavior.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #154
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Camaro guys do that same shit, you better believe it. I've had to have a little talk with a couple about this same behavior.
They all do it, and not just pony cars. I see a lot of ricers who think they can take you. Don't get me started about BMW fanboys.
Closed Thread