Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
hfur
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Chevy camaro
purchase out of state.need answer

if you buy a vehicle in one state and they do all the paper work and you drive home and you live lets say 300 miles away...how do they get the license plate to you from your home state? do they send it to you do they send it to your DMV in your state? or would you have to drive back and get it?
hfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
When I bought an old car out of state, I just put the plate from my other car on it (helped they were both white Mustangs), and didn't do anything to grab attention. Couldn't get a plate without a title, wouldn't have a title until I got the car. Some people recommended going no plate, and if you get stopped, produce a bill of sale and hope the cop is understanding. It's kind of a shitty situation where most states don't have a good solution.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I bought mine from a dealer in Atlanta Georgia. I live in Virginia. I drove home with paper Georgia tags.

The dealer handled and submitted all the registration paperwork. A month later the Virginia DMV mailed me my permanent Virginia plates.

Now with COVID closing DMV's, I don't know how it works. My girlfriends parents just bought a new car (in-state) and the dealer had a stockpile of permanent plates to issue instead of paper plates.

It's probably worth a call to the out-of-state dealer.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
About 10 years ago I bought a car from a private seller in Mass. and drove it home to Georgia with plates on it from a different car I owned.

The seller signed the title over to me (it may have been notarized I don’t recall but the transaction was completed in a bank) and I just had it registered in Georgia and the DMV there gave me new plates. I did have to pay Ga sales tax but paid paid nothing to the state of Mass.

Hope this helps
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I'm currently doing this now. Dealership should contact your local DMV and handle everything
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you buy from a dealership they will handle everything for you. When I bought my used ZL1 last year the dealership in SC handled all the paperwork for me and in about a month I got my tag renewal decal in the mail from the local tag office. No worries for you.��
Old 07-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
Muskiehunterman
Camaro Time

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS/1LE
They will give you a Temporary tag, that with the bill of sale and you are set.
Muskiehunterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Dealership should handle everything. All the cars I've bought (14 impala, two 2016 Camaros, 17 lacrosse) have been out of state and had no issues. That was before Covid of Course.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
The dealer will send all the paperwork to your state dmv and they will mail you the title and plates. I just bought a car a month ago out of state
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
maybe it used to be an issue 20+ years ago. but now everything is easier with the internet etc. Shouldn't be a problem, but with cov-19 it may take a little longer than normal.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Some states issue temporary tags; others don't. Among the latter, my state of Massachusetts. Putting on plates from another car will be a disaster if you have an accident on the way home.

So the way to do it is dictated by your state's rules. How I did it buying out of state in Massachusetts:

1.Paid for car
2.Insured car
3.Applied for title and registration
4.Put plates on car
5.Drove car

Patience required.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Bought my car certified used from a Chevy dealer in Florida. Sent a bank check overnight, and I arranged for car carrier transport to NJ. Dealer put temporary tags on it, good for one month. Car was added to my insurance before it left the dealer. When it got here, I had a month to get to Motor Vehicle to get it registered and pick up the plates. It was at point I paid for the registration, title transfer, plates and state taxes. None of that was handled by the dealer in this case, but that's not the only way it can be done.

I would not recommend driving a car any distance with plates borrowed from another car, but no way would I put it on the road without insurance. Chances are nothing will happen, but you are screwed if caught, or get in an accident (unless you are an undocumented immigrant in a sanctuary city/state, in which case nothing will happen to you)

A new or used car dealer can give you a temporary paper tag, insurance can be added to your policy over the phone.

Moving a car you bought from a private party is a little tricky, You either need to get the title and bill of sale to your state's DMV to pick up registration and tags before you can drive it, or get the seller to agree to keep his tags on it and drive it under his insurance.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #13
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
We do a lot of business with out of state customers. Here, we have to collect the sales tax based on the customer's home state tax rate. If that state is like ours, we send the money to that state's DMV with registration and title docs. Then that state sends them the plates.

If that state is like, say Missouri, where dealers do not collect sales tax, we still send the money with docs to the state, and the buyer has a statement of tax paid to take to the DMV to register the car.

In either case, we supply a temp tag.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:11 AM   #14
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Fair warning that I had my temporary tag for 60 days when purchasing from a Tennessee dealer because covid delayed North Carolina plate processing (they use third party companies for plate processing and registration). It’s better now, but be prepared in your state that covid may delay processing of getting what you need.