Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
A good appearance plan for a brand new car?

My new Black 2011 is a few weeks away, but need to get a good plan started to protect it. It'll be a Black (and blank!) canvas, so what to start off right. Would love to hear some input..I plan on clay bar it to start, then up in the air on what line to use. I'm thinking going with Klasse, but would I need to do the All in One Polish on a brand new car, or can I go straight to High Gloss Sealant Glaze? Same thing if I go with Zaino...can I just use Z-5 Pro without anything before. It seems to me on a new car it wouldn't need any type of polish beforehand. I plan on doing all by hand. Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks!
chalkupanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
The need to polish (or not) will depend largely on whats done before you take delivery.

If you can request the dealer not touch the thing except for their safety checks. Remove the shipping film and things of that nature yourself.

Do not let them wash it or anything like that as they'll do more harm than good.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkupanother1 View Post
My new Black 2011 is a few weeks away, but need to get a good plan started to protect it. It'll be a Black (and blank!) canvas, so what to start off right. Would love to hear some input..I plan on clay bar it to start, then up in the air on what line to use. I'm thinking going with Klasse, but would I need to do the All in One Polish on a brand new car, or can I go straight to High Gloss Sealant Glaze? Same thing if I go with Zaino...can I just use Z-5 Pro without anything before. It seems to me on a new car it wouldn't need any type of polish beforehand. I plan on doing all by hand. Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks!
Welcome abord and hope the next few weeks goes quick for you. I agree with everything Dylan just said. Just don't let your dealer touch it, remove all the transportation plastic yourself, no dealer decals and if possible no front license plate LOL.

Klasse is a good product but there are better out there. I would even stay away from Zaino except there leather conditioner. Definatly clay bar it to get all that rail dust off of her. Since you are getting black this is what I would do.

Wash
Clay
Wash
ISP Wash if you want to
CG EZ Cream Glaze
Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant
Then your choice of a good Carnuba Wax

This will make your the black pop with a ultra slick finish.

Also since you are putting your up up, give the inside wheels a good wax. If you have the cash put a coat of Opti-Coat 2.0 on the inside rims to help with brake dust.

Or you can go with Adams and there are plenty of users here on the board that will help you out.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
chalkupanother1, THE BEST ADVICE YOU COULD GET, you just got from Dylan above.

oh and btw.....Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's and wive's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Hey... what the heck... no one told me we had a mammoth fridge of beer here!!

On second thought thats probably a good thing b/c my advice would get progressively stranger and slurred as the days went by if there was.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
chalkupanother1

Thanks for the good info guys...love this site!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Hey... what the heck... no one told me we had a mammoth fridge of beer here!!

On second thought thats probably a good thing b/c my advice would get progressively stranger and slurred as the days went by if there was.
well we have had one for a LONG TIME....I brought it with me.....and just so ya know.....it AUTOMATICALLY restocks itself every time the door closes!, so its always full.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
chalkupanother1

I usually wash my cars by hand once a week...I've always just used Ice car wash...is there another one that I should use on the new car after using sealant to lengthen that holding up? Any preferences?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
Tecca

Drives: ...
I prefer Lusso Car Shampo, it is real gentle on wax and sealants and has good lubricity.

Another option is Optimum ONR. An amazing product as well.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Adam's car wash works great. It even smells like cherries. I put some on shave ice after washing the car for a refreshing treat.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

*Adam's is not responsible for poising, illness, or death as a result of consuming the products as refreshements.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
chalkupanother1

I called my sales guy...he actually gave me a little hassle about not applying the dealer sticker when it does get built and shipped to them!! Reluctantly, he agreed. At least living in Indiana I don't have to worry about the front plate like my Illinois neighbors do!!! I ordered some Adam's stuff, and the main items Teccboxx suggested...going to have my son try them out on my Charger so he's ready to go when the Camaro gets in.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #13
chalkupanother1

I followed Teccboxx's suggestion on my black Charger while waiting for my Camaro to get delivered...just gotta say a big WOW!! Like a mirror...simply amazing!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #14
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Welcome Chalk. I prefer the ultimate wet look myself. If you look at my profile and check out all of the detailing threads that I have started, you will see that I am a user of Adam's Polishes. No hard to follow directions or complicated procedures, just good smelling and simple fun.

Oh, it's not a Camaro by the way...

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote