Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Buying a Cam5 across the country

I found a car I'm interested in. I'm in L.A., the car is 2000 miles away. Is anyone aware of a buying agent service that will do pre-purchase inspections?

If I bought a car this far away, it'd be about $1500 to ship it enclosed. Add a fee for inspection would bump that some too. Just wondering if it's worth all the hassle or just fly out and buy and drive it back?
Old 10-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i guess that depends on if its a location you might want to visit or not too.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Personally, I will not buy a vehicle I cannot personally inspect myself. If it were me, I'd fly out, check it out and, if it checks out, enjoy the road trip home.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Carmax even only costs $999 bucks to buy one across country...…. and I think they guarantee so I would look around...…...there are a lot more places out there selling camaros especially close to you..... Crappola not so long ago I saw a perfect manual 17 zl1 crystal red in Sanfran for 50k beautiful private party sell.....
Old 10-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
Is it new or used (dealer or private sale)? I would personally need to see it myself in person before I allow money to leave my hands. Get full disclosure, detail pictures and description. If everything looks solid, purchase a plane ticket and enjoy the drive back.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
For what you'd spend to inspect and ship,add that to the purchase price of one local. End result would be same.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
I’d fly out and drive home. Worst your out a plane ticket. I’ve seen guys have a board member do kind of a quick look and report back first but little luck having someone in area.

I would ask for an HD walk around video with cold start too.

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
DBHWT

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
IMHO it's risky buying a car like that....just like Fleabay....you just assume that everyone is as honest as you are....but sometimes it's not like that.
DBHWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #9
Spurshot

I think I'd fly out prepared to buy and drive it home. Except after some deep thought, I'm probably not going to buy another Cam5. Been there, done that. The car of interest was a 14 Camaro ZL1, blue ray, same color and year as my 2SS. My neighbor said it this morning, "you have one, move on to something you haven't had"
Old 10-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #10
Codiath
brakes for squirrels

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
I agree with flying out or finding a member to look at it for you. Were is the car located? Buying anything of that price without being able to check it out is a risk I would personally not take. Another option could be to look at carvana if you have one locally. I had a great buying experience with them and they offer a 7 day no questions asked return policy and often ship free(the car vending machine is cool as well). In the 7 day period you have the opportunity to have a dealer or other trusted source to look at it.

Damn I sound like a salesman for carvana(im not, just had a good experience with them).
Codiath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #11
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Carmax even only costs $999 bucks to buy one across country...…. and I think they guarantee so I would look around...…...there are a lot more places out there selling camaros especially close to you..... Crappola not so long ago I saw a perfect manual 17 zl1 crystal red in Sanfran for 50k beautiful private party sell.....
1k is transporting a car from the opposite coast. The closer the destination, the less it costs to get it there. I think mine was 900 from NM. There is no gauarantees with Carmax for transportation. If you don’t like the car, you don’t have to buy it but you’re out the transportation fee. It’s non refundable.

I bought my camaro from carmax. You’ll soon learn that buying from a remote dealership is an exercise in stupidity. They can and will sell your car out from under you if given the opportunity regardless of anything you agreeded upon over the phone. You are at a serious disadvantage, making flying there a very risky and expensive gamble. Throw in securing your own getting financing and it just gets worse. My credit union only allowed loans for surrounding states so you need to secure a loan local to the car if you’re financing.

Carmax made the experiences so much better. They buy HP cars like zl1s and SSs so a car you’re looking for can and will pop up. You just have to be ready to pull the trigger.

Just keep in mind there is no haggling. Small paint imperfections that the photos didn’t show, the price doesn’t change. What is listed is what you pay. The good news is that they are the LARGEST used car dealer so only good cars make the grade. They are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but their business model doesn’t involve screwing over the buyer at every turn. It’s the opposite.

When you find your car at the carmax dealer, have them send you a picture of the sticker in the trunk (driver side under the carpet) of the options so you can Verify the options it came with before you request to transport locally. If you’re near nj ship it there. They give you 3 months bumper to bumper (nj state law) vs 1 or 2 in pa or del or ny. Note:Carmax covers wear items like the clutch.

I also sold a car to carmax. I will never, ever set foot in a dealership again when buying or selling a used car. Ever. My experience was that bad. This company is the future of car buying. Research the company, they are dominating their market and for good reason.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
Spurshot

I appreciate all the responses. I might need the advice in the future on some other car. While the car in question met my search criteria: 2014-15 ZL1, Blue Ray, Automatic, It struck me that my neighbor was right. I would be getting the same car that's just faster. I'm 62. So little time...so many cars.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
You could buy a 6th gen. If you are adding on to your 2014. Blue ray is not available on the 6th gen but Blue Velvet was for 2016. Different car it’s a little smaller, interior is very nice as long as you don’t need to carry passengers in the back, and you’d have different power train with the LT1.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Do a Google search for "pre-purchase car inspection services". There are several nationwide inspection booking services.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote