Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Racecarstuff
Toothless The Dragon SS

Drives: 2014 Black SS
It cost how much.....?????

I just got a quote to do a stage one cam and DOD delete for my 14 l99 and the total estimate was $4,700!!!! It’s 1300 in parts and the rest is labor and and shop charges. I’m in the Tampa Bay Area. He says it will be 23 hours in labor. I just find it hard to believe so I’m reaching out for opinions. If anyone has had a cam install in the Tampa area and can reccomend a shop please let me know. I might just grab a buddy and do it my self. Any help would be awesome!
Racecarstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
A cam on a L99, done properly, is around $4k for a reputable shop, so it’s not that out of line. I’m budgeting around $4.5k for mine as I want the new oil pump and LS7 parts.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
dawazeek

Drives: Black 2011 2SS
I am having stage 2 cam, heads ported, upgraded rocker trunion, intake/exhaust valves replaced, catch can, dyno tune, plus the odds and ends involved in replacing everything on my LS3 and the price was ~$7300. So I would say that could be a fair price. I would also say you pay for what you get when it comes to automotive work.... some guy monkeying around with the engine I would pay to make sure it was done right. Otherwise you may end up paying twice if something doesn't go right.
dawazeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
That is insane, I honestly dont know normal shop rate, but you can buy an ls3 for that put a cam in before swap engines for similar money. Just cam, springs, and pushrods at that point.

Id be doing that myself for that kind of coin. Or skip the cam altogether and go FI.

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecarstuff View Post
I just got a quote to do a stage one cam and DOD delete for my 14 l99 and the total estimate was $4,700!!!! It’s 1300 in parts and the rest is labor and and shop charges. I’m in the Tampa Bay Area. He says it will be 23 hours in labor. I just find it hard to believe so I’m reaching out for opinions. If anyone has had a cam install in the Tampa area and can reccomend a shop please let me know. I might just grab a buddy and do it my self. Any help would be awesome!
Yeah that sounds about right. For good quality work and good parts $4k-$5k is what we quote our packages at. May be cheaper for you to just get the parts and do the install yourself but might take longer as well.

Cheers,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Racecarstuff
Toothless The Dragon SS

Thank you for all the advice! Just seems steep to me but I believe you get what you pay for as well. I just wanted to ask around before pulling the trigger. I love this forum! Thanks again guys!
Old 10-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'm hoping for $4k on mine, but not going to be surprised to hit $4.5k. You're not out of the ballpark. Just out of curiosity, who did you get the quote from? You might give Fasterproms a shout if they weren't the ones giving you the initial quote.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Alldata has the labor hours at 23.1, which is reasonable if they are taking the heads off and putting new lifters in with the cam. I personally put the cam in my LS3, I believe it took me right around 9 hours or so. I left the heads on, I only swapped valve springs. It would have been a bit less time, but I also upgraded the oil pump, chain, and tensioner. I estimate that I was in the neighborhood of $1k in parts, even with a used cam. Put the $500 tune and it's about where they are parts wise.

Something to think about for later is if this cam doesn't end up feeling so big after a while and you want to get a bigger one, you'll also have to pay labor for a torque converter as well as labor for the cam. You may be able to negotiate a bit less for an upgraded cam if you choose to leave the lifters you put in and they can leave the heads on for any future upgrades. I have had experience with JDP in the past, and if they say it's average then I believe them.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
Racecarstuff
Toothless The Dragon SS

I’m doing a stage one vvt Texas speed cam. Should I go bigger with a converter and just say send it and pay now?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
I sent you a pm
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
I’m doing a stage one vvt Texas speed cam. Should I go bigger with a converter and just say send it and pay now?
I don't know your financial situation, having said that I would always go bigger. Put in a cam you feel comfortable with in it's driveability and it's longevity. Bigger cams will need a lot more maintenance as they are harder on things. I want to go bigger with mine after I did it, but It's a bit hard to drive in the parking lot with the surging. I love the sound it makes, and the car is plenty fast for me.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
To be honest, not worth that much money for the minimal gain from a stage 1 cam :(

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yup a stage one is just to avoid the need for converter, hell with the cam job having heads pulled new gaskets, baskets and lifters and such ..I would go with a real nice VVT cam new phaser and go big or go home..... and of course do headers at the same time HFC... but you know tampa tuning? You may just want to do headers and HFC ad go there for a tune and skip the cam for now if $$$$ is tight...
Old 10-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #14
Lougill

Drives: 2013 ZL1 convertible
I am just asking, because I am looking at modifying my SS, should a person look at a cam or a supercharger?
Lougill is offline   Reply With Quote