Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Drives: '16 RS A8 Custom Exhaust CAI
For those of you curious about the K&N Intake....

I have had the K&N Intake installed on my Camaro now for about 3 weeks. Here are my thoughts on it after those 21 days!

SamMoranPranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #2
Rodrage05

Drives: 2016 Camaro
What muffler system do you have on your car. I noticed you don't have the big stock box in the back LOL
Rodrage05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #3
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrage05 View Post
What muffler system do you have on your car. I noticed you don't have the big stock box in the back LOL
Haha, yeah. So I'm running a secondary cat delete with 2.5" piping running to an x-pipe where the resonator use to be and a muffler delete.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 AM   #4
Black_FiFTY
Custom Black FiFTY

Drives: 2017 Black SS
Yeah that's the thing about these intakes. Whatever gains you get are at the higher RPM range. Bigger gains with a tune. They sound great and look good but not worth it to me
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
GuoShicheng

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 RS 6MT
Thanks for the honesty.
Since you have an A8, I'll throw in my 02 for the M6.

Sound: Engine sounds same to me, almost quieter even due to sound tube delete that comes with kit. However, whistle is now noticeable (I personally don't like it).
Performance: I did notice a slightly harder push in the lower RPMs in the butt dino. Torque increase could be slightly felt.
Gas mileage: Same as you, ~.5 mpg increase average.
Throttle response: This was, to me, the area of biggest improvement. I don't have to worry about transmission tuning since I have M6, but I do notice a much more instantaneous pull when I hit the gas. Kind of like a lite version of the Vitesse throttle controller.

Does your exhaust setup have any drone?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuoShicheng View Post
Thanks for the honesty.
Since you have an A8, I'll throw in my 02 for the M6.

Sound: Engine sounds same to me, almost quieter even due to sound tube delete that comes with kit. However, whistle is now noticeable (I personally don't like it).
Performance: I did notice a slightly harder push in the lower RPMs in the butt dino. Torque increase could be slightly felt.
Gas mileage: Same as you, ~.5 mpg increase average.
Throttle response: This was, to me, the area of biggest improvement. I don't have to worry about transmission tuning since I have M6, but I do notice a much more instantaneous pull when I hit the gas. Kind of like a lite version of the Vitesse throttle controller.

Does your exhaust setup have any drone?
Nice! Glad to hear some input from an M6. My exhaust drones like crazy haha, but I like it. It droned the same prior to the intake install though. The Vitesse Throttle Controller is where I saw such a noticeable difference in throttle response, but I wasn't a big fan of changing the factory current to the gas pedal, so I ended up returning it.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_FiFTY View Post
Yeah that's the thing about these intakes. Whatever gains you get are at the higher RPM range. Bigger gains with a tune. They sound great and look good but not worth it to me
I disagree. All I have on mine is a ported throttle body with the K&N intake, I had more power and much better throttle response time. I returned the intake due to a CEL and was going to wait for rotofab, but now after not having the intake and feeling what the response and power is like without it, I'm chomping at the bit to get another intake, the throttle response now again is night and day, so much more lag and less acceleration without the intake compared to what I had with the intake a week earlier.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
GuoShicheng

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 RS 6MT
Yeah, the main advantage of these intakes is def in the mid-range, not top end. K&N's chart, for what it's worth, shows ~20 hp gain at midrange but only 10 hp gain at peak.

Tags
camaro intake, camaro v6 intake, camaro v6 k&n intake, k&n intake