Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
1LEsteiny

Drives: 2015 1le
Finally got it to the track

1st track day in the Camaro at Mid-ohio sports car course. Overall car felt amazing. I wasn't sure how I would like the car coming from a s2000. The car is very well balanced and very predictable and I love the power and torque. So different from a high reving 4 cylinder. Braking will take some getting used to. It's the only time the weight of the car showed. Only concern I have is it was a cooler day, upper 70's, and oil temperature was higher than I expected.
Attached Images

1LEsteiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Did you remove the hood vent drip tray? Search around for the gm instructions on how to get your car ready for the track if you don’t already have that information. It may also be in you owners manual. Beautiful car.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Removing the drip tray for the hood vent will help hot air escape better from under the hood if you didn't already do that.

The factory oil cooler on these is not great. If you plan on going to do more track time, look into an aftermarket oil cooler to help manage the oil temps. Many options out there. I'm running the Mishimoto kit.

Its a slippery lope tho! Next you will be looking at a ZL1/CTS-V/Z06 front brake conversion to help haul all the weight down. Then better wheels/tires... Suspension... better cooling...

Glad you enjoyed your first time taking her out to stretch her legs!
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Just curious, what oil and coolant temps were you seeing? As mentioned you'll definitely need to upgrade your brakes if you're going to do a lot of track days. The nice thing about your 1LE is that plenty of folks on this forum track these cars so just duplicate their set-ups. Great looking car!
Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #5
1LEsteiny

Drives: 2015 1le
Thanks I will try the drip tray next time. 20 min sessions Oil temp showed 266 in the performance gauge mode and 212 water temp? Brakes held up well I did flush with Castrol and install z28 brake ducts. Tires will be on the list but I can't see not burning this set up first. I thought I would want to change to coilovers but to be honest it handled very well I might just do camber plates since I could only get 2.1 in the front
1LEsteiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
212 coolant temp is pretty normal for track work. 266 is a bit high for the oil temp.
I was advised buy the track day vets here to run 5W40 or 10W40 to keep the oil pressure up when the oil gets hot during track work.
With an aftermarket oil cooler, I see about 240-250 oil temps on a 90+ degree day at the track.

These things handle great out of the box! I'm still on my stock suspension with the track alignment.
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote