Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I like that it adds 20hp AND 20rwhp lol
Old 07-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
35 people have tried it with no complaints apparently..

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Given the conversation that happens over ebay headers,, everyone would be saying it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the name brand CAI brands rip people off. Why pay more than you need to for tube, heat shield, and filter?
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
Pluto

Buy a scoop with what you saved and have fresh air all the time...eliminate that problem lol

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
They ought to line the inside of the shield with foil, put a lid on it, and sell it for $399.00.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #20
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
you could get a nice reputable CAI for roughly the same price, used on the classifieds forum!
+1

I found my roto-fab and BMR springs in the classifieds sections. Got killer deals on both.
760bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #21
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
Did you buy a cheap car?

No? Then don't buy it cheap parts. You get what you pay for.

I never said I as gonna buy it, I was just curious if anyone had bought it.

Im leaning towards the Blackwing CAI...
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #22
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Looks and fit, proper fit installation, are important also. I put in a CAI to my 2SS/RS yesterday. CAI is a bit more costly, but when a car costs thirty to forty grand, I would want to keep it with quality parts. After installation, the CAI looks and feels really solid.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #23
BigRed585Lbs

Then, there's the difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive".
Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
BigRed585Lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
I never said I as gonna buy it, I was just curious if anyone had bought it.

Im leaning towards the Blackwing CAI...
^^Me, too.^^
Old 07-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #25
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
Please explain the differences in an open intake. None ! Now a closed I take is a different story.
Have you looked at the BETTER intakes? There's a HUGE difference in them. What is your definition of a closed vs open CAI?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 AM   #26
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Have you looked at the BETTER intakes? There's a HUGE difference in them. What is your definition of a closed vs open CAI?
Probably Cold Air Inductions vs RotoFab

Old 07-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #27
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
CAI has a lid others rely on the hood to seal out heat. Heat is an enemy of power and open intakes on NA cars are kinda defeating the purpose. Now most people think because an intake is cheap it is garbage, that's funny. My first Camaro had a Maggie and X brand intake and it made X amount of power, another Camaro owner the same day had a Maggie and was shooting for a power number with about the same setup as mine and fell short of there HP number. IPS took there high priced intake off there car and replaced it with my half priced intake and it gained the 4 to 5 HP it needed to make the owner happy. So I don't knock anything cheap that I know nothing about. Another thing is if it doesn't require a tune after replacing why spend the money, obviously it is not doing that much to begin with .
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #28
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
CAI has a lid others rely on the hood to seal out heat. Heat is an enemy of power and open intakes on NA cars are kinda defeating the purpose. Now most people think because an intake is cheap it is garbage, that's funny. My first Camaro had a Maggie and X brand intake and it made X amount of power, another Camaro owner the same day had a Maggie and was shooting for a power number with about the same setup as mine and fell short of there HP number. IPS took there high priced intake off there car and replaced it with my half priced intake and it gained the 4 to 5 HP it needed to make the owner happy. So I don't knock anything cheap that I know nothing about. Another thing is if it doesn't require a tune after replacing why spend the money, obviously it is not doing that much to begin with .
There was only one CAI that was open under the hood and that was the Hennessey. A shield was an option but I think it's standard now. It doesn't matter if it has a lid or is sealed with the hood, they're all closed off from the underhood heat.

My comments had nothing to do with price, nor did I even mention it. My comments were purely centered around design. There are multiple intakes EXACTLY like this one. A metal or plastic tube with a big filter stuck on the end. I would expect them all to perform similarly and if I was looking for the cheapest intake possible, it would be on my list. The better intakes have velocity stacks designed into the tube, and take measures to decrease heatsoak. NONE of the tube with a filter designs go to these measures to make the best intake possible. That would require more money and some actual R&D, both of which increase the price of the product. That's why I mention the BETTER CAI's. I'll bet you that this intake, along with all the other tube/filter design intakes have ZERO R&D, other than mocking a shield up to make them look a little different than all the others. If you think this design is superior or even on par with the better CAI's like Halltech, Rotofab, CAI inc, or ADM, then by all means get it.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote