Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #29
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
32PSI cold pressure. I agree that a non-aggressive "start" will not give much if any wheel spin, even with WOT once moving. But I for one love to start out quick once in a while, especially on the expressway when I'm pole position. :-) I wonder how many will now go out and try this to call my bluff. lol maybe I just have a car that has more low end torque. Who knows...I'm just sharing my experience. Please be careful out there and drive safely.
Mark, I stated aggressive, not non-aggressive. I get you want to get a good jump on the pack on a start (which I am assuming is a standing start). You mentioned 1/2 throttle, which with the clutch in would push the engine to redline in an instant, as I am sure you know. I really have found that somewhere between 3 to 4K with an aggressive release (not popping) of the clutch is about as good as one can do. You will get some wheel spin that will stop and then you can go to full throttle. Right or wrong, I tend to practice this off most street lights!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #30
brandon1984

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
My tire dilemma just started. My 1LE now has 13k and I'm looking at my 3rd set of rears. After the break-in period I had a lot of fun and had to get 2 at 9k. I stuck with the GY F1 just because I like the looks and didn't do any research. They were 250ea at the time and now are around 350. I just had a patch done and the tire place says I need 4 tires soon. Not sure how I feel about this. I don't track or corner hard on ramps yet only get 13k on the fronts? How do I really gauge the wear and replacement time on these tires? Also, if I do need 4 this soon I'm considering a different tire. I live in Michigan where I won't see too much of the prime weather for the Eagle F1 tires. The quote I received was on the BFG G-force comp 2. Does it really matter or is there a best option for all-purpose driving? I like to push the limits sometimes, but not near as much as I like to just cruise around. I'm open to all options including slight size changes provided it doesn't compromise the appearance of the car.
brandon1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #31
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WHITE1 View Post
I dislike my goodyears here in socal in the winter but when it warms up I fall back in love with them and the fact they are alot cheaper than the michelins. Seem to love picking up nails and screws though. If my wallet wouldn't throw up in my pocket i I would do the michelins. However my fronts are still good so I think for now a set of 305 goodyears out back should hold me over.
Wait! Did you say "winter in socal?". LOL Did it affect your tires? Try being here in Michigan... This is WINTER! LOL. Winter there it's 65-70 on the cold days. Here it is -23 on the cold days. Talk about no grip! Lol Mine stays parked in my heated shop. I was in SD and Orange county this winter...enjoyed the break from the Michigan winter!
Tires...I love these GY tires on my 1LE when it is 70+...but sketchy below that and like slick plastic below 50.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #32
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon1984 View Post
My tire dilemma just started. My 1LE now has 13k and I'm looking at my 3rd set of rears. After the break-in period I had a lot of fun and had to get 2 at 9k. I stuck with the GY F1 just because I like the looks and didn't do any research. They were 250ea at the time and now are around 350. I just had a patch done and the tire place says I need 4 tires soon. Not sure how I feel about this. I don't track or corner hard on ramps yet only get 13k on the fronts? How do I really gauge the wear and replacement time on these tires? Also, if I do need 4 this soon I'm considering a different tire. I live in Michigan where I won't see too much of the prime weather for the Eagle F1 tires. The quote I received was on the BFG G-force comp 2. Does it really matter or is there a best option for all-purpose driving? I like to push the limits sometimes, but not near as much as I like to just cruise around. I'm open to all options including slight size changes provided it doesn't compromise the appearance of the car.
Your tire life is related to how you are driving the car. There are numerous topics with people getting 20k on the rears alone. From what I've seen, the average for the rears appear to be in the 15-18k range.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, but you have to "pay to play" as they say.

>> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400173

Last edited by JimE; 03-30-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: url
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #33
Mikey D

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
I'm going back to the GYs as soon as I can, they don't last very long but I really miss them. I went with Michelin AS3's for winter. These are awesome in rain and snow but now that we're warming up, I can't rip turns like I could with the GYs!
Mikey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:37 PM   #34
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
Wait! Did you say "winter in socal?". LOL Did it affect your tires? Try being here in Michigan... This is WINTER! LOL. Winter there it's 65-70 on the cold days. Here it is -23 on the cold days. Talk about no grip! Lol Mine stays parked in my heated shop. I was in SD and Orange county this winter...enjoyed the break from the Michigan winter!
Tires...I love these GY tires on my 1LE when it is 70+...but sketchy below that and like slick plastic below 50.
I live in the high desert and we see temps average 20s-30s at night in the winter and as low as single digits so trust me even in the 40s they aren't happy. Just need to understand their limits and drive accordingly. Day temps are usually higher and nicer but this ain't beach weather here lol.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #35
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Funny in winter the car makes more power due to colder temps but blows the tires off cause its cold. Summer it's over 110 and makes less power but sticks like glue cause the tires are melting lmao. Ugh we're never happy.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #36
1bad1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I'm glad I switched to the PSS. May not be the best at the track, but they are better daily driver in about any climate in my opinion. Drove the car all winter in Ohio except when the roads were snow covered.

Goodyears wrapped in basement. Still plenty of life left at 10k.
1bad1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #37
Elvira1le
Mistress of the dark

Drives: Black 2014 RS 2SS 1LE
Michelin making 285-35-20 pilot sport A/S 3's

Just installed the A/S 3's on my 2014 RS 2SS 1LE and love the ride and less noise, but still have great handling and when driving on cold tires, you can accelerate without braking loose like you're running on bowling balls. Much improved traction. I hated breaking the tires loose at 75 going on the interstate. Plus I hope to get more than 15K on this set.
Elvira1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #38
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc's1LE View Post
Down in here in HOT Lando like bubble gum on a rim
yep the hotter it gets the better they stick. they beg you to push the car beyond what your mind says is okay...

Tags
1le forum, goodyear f1, pilot super sport, swap out, tires.