Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
About DONE with HPTuners...

First, 4 credits for 2018 PCM
Then send off TCM to get unlocked, and pay another 4 credits to tune.
Halfassed tables available even then..
Then , tonight I log in and my account doesnt exist. Get all that straightened out and re registered.. Now I cant buy any credits....OMFG..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Then , tonight I log in and my account doesnt exist. Get all that straightened out and re registered.. Now I cant buy any credits....OMFG..
Sell me your cable
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Damn man. Ya they are a mess my tuner is working hand and foot trying to figure this car out and it's insane. v3.7 actually has a bit unlocked for us but with no one sharing information and by extension hurting the platform figuring out how to disable or trick driver demand is a long process. If this were say a mass market V8 i get the need for insider secret crap but the LTG is a platform that needs more transparency to hit that next level.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Send me a copy of your stock tune? 2016 has quite a bit of tables, wondering if 2018 is any different.

I know you are frustrated, the credit thing kinda sucks, but I have to imagine as credit requirements go higher in these newer ecm/TCM combos that even independent Tuner prices will go up, so either way you’re going to pay for those credits, might as well have some control of your own over your car instead of being locked in.

I also understand your frustrations with the registration, etc, and credit buying process. I had very similar issues with mine in the beginning (when I bought it years ago), but it worked itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Im frustrated with the way HPT rolled out this new website and product. No email, no official announcement, nothing. Just POOF, complete web change with no instruction.
This isn't even for my car. A good friend, who I don't get to see very often, wasted a 2 hour trip one way, and another 4 hours sitting at my house for nothing. Not to mention my tuner's time wasted. I finally did manage to get credits purchased, but now I can't use the credits.. And thats were I'm stuck at now..SMFH..Just one more strike against HPT for me....

In case anyone else need's this information, I will post it here, I wish I would have had it last night:
When logging into the new web site for the first time, you might have to register a new account. Log in, go to your devices and enter your serial number and the latest application key you have in the "MPVI1" to import. After it authenticates (might take 5 tries or more) a stupid little bar will appear below the device details, that you have to scroll over to the right, to find the new purchase credits button. (I could barely see the bar on my device, overlooked it for well over an hour)

-I will update this with whatever hoops must be jumped through to actually use credits, once I figure that out-

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 05-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Ah I just saw what you are talking about. I wasn’t aware of the website change, or new product. Must have just happened recently... although I must say, I would like to have that mpvi2 pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Damn man. Ya they are a mess my tuner is working hand and foot trying to figure this car out and it's insane. v3.7 actually has a bit unlocked for us but with no one sharing information and by extension hurting the platform figuring out how to disable or trick driver demand is a long process. If this were say a mass market V8 i get the need for insider secret crap but the LTG is a platform that needs more transparency to hit that next level.
Have you tried contacting HPTuners? They were very helpful when I was trying to get it to read my 17 LGX. Spent half an afternoon sending them files. Got an email 2 days later saying they released v3.7 beta and it works, can see everything.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Im frustrated with the way HPT rolled out this new website and product. No email, no official announcement, nothing. Just POOF, complete web change with no instruction.
This isn't even for my car. A good friend, who I don't get to see very often, wasted a 2 hour trip one way, and another 4 hours sitting at my house for nothing. Not to mention my tuner's time wasted. I finally did manage to get credits purchased, but now I can't use the credits.. And thats were I'm stuck at now..SMFH..Just one more strike against HPT for me....

In case anyone else need's this information, I will post it here, I wish I would have had it last night:
When logging into the new web site for the first time, you might have to register a new account. Log in, go to your devices and enter your serial number and the latest application key you have in the "MPVI1" to import. After it authenticates (might take 5 tries or more) a stupid little bar will appear below the device details, that you have to scroll over to the right, to find the new purchase credits button. (I could barely see the bar on my device, overlooked it for well over an hour)

-I will update this with whatever hoops must be jumped through to actually use credits, once I figure that out-
They are frustrating for sure but like already mentioned better to have things on your cable rather than pay your tuner for the same credits.

Thanks for the info on the website. I haven't logged in for a long time so glad for the warning. Good luck
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
They are frustrating for sure but like already mentioned better to have things on your cable rather than pay your tuner for the same credits.

Thanks for the info on the website. I haven't logged in for a long time so glad for the warning. Good luck

I agree on the cable, me and my tuner actually split the cost of HP. He is a long time friend, and co-worker, mostly a Holley EFI guy, but HP became necessary. And yeah, I would suggest everyone log into their accounts now, and get it all straightened out before you actually NEED to use the product.

Update: The credits showed up yesterday that I purchased on Thursday. I didn't do anything special, they just showed up. I'm not sure if a waiting period will be normal now, or if it was this entire web transition that had things held up.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
It's been said before, and I mean no offense, but any tuner that is learning how to tune an LTG while actually tuning a customer's car, shouldn't be in business. If they haven't tuned LNFs or have explicit experience in direct-injected, turbo charged, torque-model based systems is simply not qualified to touch the ECM. Buying HPT doesn't make someone a tuner.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekes1 View Post
It's been said before, and I mean no offense, but any tuner that is learning how to tune an LTG while actually tuning a customer's car, shouldn't be in business. If they haven't tuned LNFs or have explicit experience in direct-injected, turbo charged, torque-model based systems is simply not qualified to touch the ECM. Buying HPT doesn't make someone a tuner.
A lot of us non-tuners purchase the program for other reasons than full on tuning. I have multiple friends that are great tuners. I used to load one tune for the drag strip and another for the street or road track. If credits are purchased on my cable I can take it to any of my tuner expert tuner friends to work it. Data logging at the track is another reason. Remote tuning is another reason. Any novice can flash a tune, data log, clear read codes. Having my laptop at the track has helped others as well. I learned early on with the ZL1 about $200 in credits helping a guy get his tune flashed from a remote change that his tuner made so he could run his car. It's just something good to have available
Old 05-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
These are not your same LNF ECM/PCMs from the cobalts your referring to, if you opened it up and tuned yourself you wouldn't be so quick so say shit. If you have and you said that then i dunno. I'm not saying they don't have similarities but tuning the LTG is not the same as tuning the old LNFs. If your tuner had LNF background they will most certainly be well ahead of the game. As for mlee's reasons 100% man having it there to datalog alone is worth it if you go more then once a year to the dragstrip or any other HPDE.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

I appreciate the concern dekes1 But its OK. We were NOT tuning my car, or an LTG in general. (Not that I wouldn't trust him though, he is very adept) I only referenced my car and the amount of HPT credits it requires, as a further illustrating point of my disgust. (at that moment)

I have gotten over it, and hopefully helped a few people avoid my situation. It would have really sucked if this happened at the track, where if you get 3 runs in a night your doing good. This little set back would have derailed any hope of a single run. HPT really is an invaluable tool for ANY automotive enthusiast.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #14
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
These are not your same LNF ECM/PCMs from the cobalts your referring to, if you opened it up and tuned yourself you wouldn't be so quick so say shit. If you have and you said that then i dunno. I'm not saying they don't have similarities but tuning the LTG is not the same as tuning the old LNFs. If your tuner had LNF background they will most certainly be well ahead of the game. As for mlee's reasons 100% man having it there to datalog alone is worth it if you go more then once a year to the dragstrip or any other HPDE.
The keyword in my original post was customer's car. No self respecting tuner would start off with their first LTG being a customer's car. Period. If they do, and you allow it, then you deserve the destructive result.

Also, i'm not sure what to make of your statement about the ECMs. Yes, we all know the E80s are not like the old E69s. The point i was making is that tuning an LTG without knowledge of DI is a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, logging is not tuning.

[EDIT] By the way, I do all my own tuning and have spent hundreds of hours perfecting my tune. You'll find my stock tune on the HPT tune repository if you doubt me. You'll also see my 4.3s 0-60 and 12.9s 1/4 in the ATS forums. But i would never touch someone else's car with an LTG with any level of comfort because I'm not a seasoned tuner.

Last edited by dekes1; 05-21-2018 at 04:02 PM.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote