Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #1555
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
We did one better. we put chassis ears on it and still couldn't find it.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #1556
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
This may be stuck under one of the spring perches...take a look:

Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #1557
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Random thought,since mine us doing something similar and I think I found the culprit...

Checked you rear speakers? 99% sure that is where my "clink" is coming from.

Worth a check.

Sent from my payphone using carrier pigeons.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #1558
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
Random thought,since mine us doing something similar and I think I found the culprit...

Worth a check.

You mean not being mounted properly?

whoa... that would be a new one....
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #1559
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
As dumb as this sounds, check your LCA for a stray pebble. I had one caught in mine that couldn't find it's own way out.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #1560
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I heard that after-market tie rods can cause a plinking sound... Did you install any o' dose?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #1561
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Yeah, guess some of them were a bit loose from the factory. Mine only make noise at super low speed, smallest bumps. Larger bumps or more speed, no change.

I jammed some cardboard between the speaker and the rear deck lid, from the bottom. Seemed to help, but the cardboard fell out after awhile. Need to find a better solution, with all that spare time I've got laying around.

All my suspension parts check out a-ok.

J

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #1562
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
We did one better. we put chassis ears on it and still couldn't find it.

Those ears were pretty loud on the rear right end link. Problem? We took the darn thing apart. Can't make noise if the think has been taken apart.

I will put it in 1st and let it idle forward and while rolling forward, I take it out of first and put it in reverse. I give it a tiny bit of gas (just enough to keep it from stalling) and the car will slow, stop, and then go in reverse. When it does this, you hear the "re-positioning" of something metallic in the rear axle areas. While rolling back, you put it back in 1st and roll forward EASY on the gas. NEVER do I get on the brake. Just back and forth...back and forth...PLINK PLINK PLINK PLINK....You know what? I think I'm going to try to record it just so the others can see/hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
This may be stuck under one of the spring perches...take a look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post

Worth a check.

Would be nice if it were that easy, but nope. This is an obvious problem at the rear axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
As dumb as this sounds, check your LCA for a stray pebble. I had one caught in mine that couldn't find it's own way out.
Nada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I heard that after-market tie rods can cause a plinking sound... Did you install any o' dose?
Negatory.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #1563
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Those ears were pretty loud on the rear right end link. Problem? We took the darn thing apart. Can't make noise if the think has been taken apart.

I will put it in 1st and let it idle forward and while rolling forward, I take it out of first and put it in reverse. I give it a tiny bit of gas (just enough to keep it from stalling) and the car will slow, stop, and then go in reverse. When it does this, you hear the "re-positioning" of something metallic in the rear axle areas. While rolling back, you put it back in 1st and roll forward EASY on the gas. NEVER do I get on the brake. Just back and forth...back and forth...PLINK PLINK PLINK PLINK....You know what? I think I'm going to try to record it just so the others can see/hear.

Would be nice if it were that easy, but nope. This is an obvious problem at the rear axle.

Nada.

Negatory.
Doug, I know it doesn't make sense with the timing of the plinko/spring install... but... have you taken a good look at the u-joint of the driveshaft... near the carrier bearing... It's possible a bearing is bad in one of the caps and this is what your hearing... Just food for thought...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #1564
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Doug, I know it doesn't make sense with the timing of the plinko/spring install... but... have you taken a good look at the u-joint of the driveshaft... near the carrier bearing... It's possible a bearing is bad in one of the caps and this is what your hearing... Just food for thought...
We are getting dual sounds from both sides of the vehicle. It almost sound like the sound is coming straight from the brake caliper. Ancira is going to toss a set of chassis ears on there and really check it out. I have to take it in in a couple weeks. They said half their crew is out on vacation for a couple weeks and they have no one to really get to it right now. No problem on my end. But, maybe we can get lucky and figure out what this crap is.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #1565
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
sway bar tightened down? Will it still make that noise with one endlink disconnected? Is the plink, plink, plink steady as you move back and forth or just one time in each direction. If steady, does it get faster as the car get's faster? If that's the case I would agree with Robert that this sounds vaguely familiar to what PQ went through.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #1566
andredmg
Big Nasty

Drives: Chevys lots of em
Is there a reward for who guesses correctly???
Old 12-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #1567
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
sway bar tightened down? Will it still make that noise with one endlink disconnected? Is the plink, plink, plink steady as you move back and forth or just one time in each direction. If steady, does it get faster as the car get's faster? If that's the case I would agree with Robert that this sounds vaguely familiar to what PQ went through.
We completely took apart the sway bar. I disconnected it at both ends so there was zero stress on it. No way it could have moved.

The plink comes only when stress is put on the rear end as in go or stop. And, it will plink once going forward, once going backward (each side). It's like something either settling or something twisting in the half shaft slipping and then hitting metal clanking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andredmg View Post
Is there a reward for who guesses correctly???
Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #1568
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Inboard rear LCA mount/bush ? dif bushes?

Tags
adjustable camber plates, camarocross, cgm, cyber gray metallic, factory reproductions, hertz, jl audio, litho, pedders, rick-rolled, rodgers chevrolet, stainless works, supercars, tom henry, zl1 bumper