Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers

Selecting long tube headers can be an intimidating task and does require some technical knowledge, but it isn’t the voodoo some make it out to be. In this post I will try to arm you with as much information as I can to help you decide on the best option for you and your ride. If you have any questions after reading it feel free to send me a PM or give us a call at the phone number in my signature.

Which Manufacturer Should I Go With?

The good news here is that this is hard to get wrong. Ask around on the forums and you will hear some of the same brand names over and over again. Stick with brands like Stainless Works, Stainless Power, Pfadt, ARH, and Kooks and you will be fine. From a performance stand point all of these brands are pretty close, no one has a secret sauce that makes one of them produce substantially better results than any of the others. In terms of quality, again, most of them are pretty close in this area as well. If you are looking at other brands though here are some of things to pay close attention to.

Pay attention to what they are made from. Stainless steel (particularly 304) is what you will want to look for. 304 stainless steel will not rust or discolor from exposure to the atmosphere like the cheaper 400 series stainless steel. Unlike aluminized steel, it will not rust from the inside out due to the corrosive fluids produced during combustion. 304 can discolor slightly from getting extremely hot or if you spill engine oil on them but another attribute is that it isn’t permanent.

Pay attention to how they are made. CNC mandrel bending is the best manufacturing method for producing exhaust systems and headers that flow and fit well. When this process is used in conjunction with the 304 stainless steel it allows for the use of a thinner wall tubing that will weigh less than other headers. Those weight savings will be lost, however, if you opt for ceramic coating. With 300 series stainless steel the coating isn’t needed for corrosion resistance purposes (ceramic coating is often pushed because the manufacture is using inferior material) and I have never seen some of the claimed reductions in under hood temperature scientifically demonstrated in hard numbers. It looks great and they cool off quickly, that is about the sum of it.

What Primary Diameter Should I Go With?

This is the area that seems to cause the most confusion but it is fairly straight forward. Header manufacturers usually offer two or three options when is comes to primary diameters for a specific vehicle. For example, for the Camaro SS most manufacturers are offering 1 3/4 inch, 1 7/8 inch, and 2 inch primaries. Below are some pretty typical numbers for what you can expect from traditional 4-into-1 long tube headers on an otherwise stock SS:

Stock: 370 RWHP 375 RWTQ
1 3/4 headers with high flow cats: 400 RWHP 405 RWTQ
1 7/8 headers with high flow cats: 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
2 headers with high flow cats: 415 RWHP 410 RWTQ

As you can see, simply switching from the restrictive stock manifolds to 1 3/4 long tube headers is worth approximately 30 RWHP and 30 RWTQ on a bone stock Camaro SS. The larger the primary diameter gets the more air the headers will flow and the further up the RPM range the power band is moved. The more powerful the engine is the more beneficial it is to go with a larger diameter, especially when you introduce forced induction. This means that generally the more power you make or the more race oriented your application is the bigger primary diameter you need, the closer to stock or the more street oriented the smaller primary diameter you need.

Tri-Y Headers

Pfadt recently announced that they are releasing Tri-Y headers for the 5th Gen Camaro and since then we have been inundated with questions about this type of design. Traditional 4-into-1 long tube headers merge all four primary tubes into a single collector similar to the one pictured below.

Tri-Y headers utilize a different approach. These headers feature three Y-pipes that merge the runners in pairs. Because of this they are sometimes also referred to as 4-into-2-into-1 headers. The Pfadt Tri-Ys are very elegant and because of that the differences are difficult to discern in photos so below is a very rudimentary set of Tri-Y headers and a set of traditional 4-into-1 style long tube headers below that for a direct comparison. You can see that there are three separate events rather than one as is the case with a traditional 4-into-1 long tube headers.

Now that you know what Tri-Y header are, the question is what is the difference from a performance perspective. The commonly accepted theory is that 4-into-1 long tube headers offer stronger peak horsepower gains, while the Tri-Y headers produce stronger low and mid-range torque gains (ideal for street performance).

High Flow Cats or Cat Delete (Off Road Pipe)

With modern high flow cats there is essentially no performance advantage to a cat delete. They flow 99.9% as well as straight pipe. On a dyno you might see 1-3 rwhp in the mid RPM range. Going with a cat delete does cost less but the biggest draw back for many street driven cars is the smell of running without cats. Others are the potential legal issues and the inability to pass emissions testing and inspections. For track cars none of these are a concern so save the money and apply it elsewhere but if your car is used primarily on the street high flow cats are probably your best bet.

Farther into this thread the question was asked, where are the cats the top tier American header manufacturers attach to their headers made. Does the quality of the cats match the headers or are they cutting corners and using cheap cats from overseas? This was a great question since they are such a critical part of the equation. After making a few phone calls, here is what we found out.

Stainless Works/Power cats: Random Technology out of Loganville, Ga.
Pfadt cats: manufactured in house Corona, Ca.
Kooks cats: GESi in Whitby, Ontario, Canada.
ARH: stated they are outsourced to a company in Texas but did not want us to specifically name the company

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 03-21-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
That is very interesting and informative. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
SMN2011Z28
Always a work in progress

Drives: 2014 RRM SS RS 1LE
Great post. I'm in the market for headers and this is helpful.
SMN2011Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
That is very interesting and informative. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMN2011Z28 View Post
Great post. I'm in the market for headers and this is helpful.
Glad to hear that. Hit me up or give us a call if you have any questions. That is what I am here for.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Nice write up Chase. This will really help someone in the market.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
umiami2312

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic
Thank you! Great post
umiami2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Nate2013

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
I am in the market for a set and wow Thanks Chase very informative! I just have some questions, which I'm sure they are in the forum somewhere and I don't have hrs to read over threads that bicker back and forth with no real definitive info. Do you have to have a tune when using long tubes or will it implode if driven without one?(JK) I want to avoid tuning to protect my warranty,but want rid of the rusted manifolds that are on it now. They were rusted when I picked up my 2014 1LE with 12 miles on it! Will it hurt performance immensely? I would like to clean up the engine compartment that's all, not looking for more performance right now. I know people have had a CEL and some claim not. Thanks
Nate2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
BigRed

Drives: SS RS SIM
with long tubes you have to have a tune or you WILL get a CEL due to not having the rear set of O2 sensors. If you are just wanting to clean up the engine bay and absolutely do no want a tune then shorties are what you need.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
Nice write up Chase. This will really help someone in the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umiami2312 View Post
Thank you! Great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2013 View Post
I am in the market for a set and wow Thanks Chase very informative! I just have some questions, which I'm sure they are in the forum somewhere and I don't have hrs to read over threads that bicker back and forth with no real definitive info. Do you have to have a tune when using long tubes or will it implode if driven without one?(JK) I want to avoid tuning to protect my warranty,but want rid of the rusted manifolds that are on it now. They were rusted when I picked up my 2014 1LE with 12 miles on it! Will it hurt performance immensely? I would like to clean up the engine compartment that's all, not looking for more performance right now. I know people have had a CEL and some claim not. Thanks
You do not have to get a tune, however, you will be leaving performance on the table and you will get a check engine light. Meaning that if some legitimate reason for the CEL to come on were to occur you would not know it. I can see how that could used as justification to not cover the repair under warranty thus negating the point of not tuning in the first place. If you want to protect your warranty the best bet is to wait on headers until you are ready to tune and take responsibility if something were to occur. Another option would be shorty headers and high flow cats. They do not require tuning but the performance gains will not be as strong as long tubes.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Nate2013

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
Thanks Chase that's the info I was looking for. Guess I see shortys in my future.
Nate2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2013 View Post
Thanks Chase that's the info I was looking for. Guess I see shortys in my future.
No problem. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Chase, i appreciate the time and effort that you and some of the other sponsors take to explain the technical aspect of various parts.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Good info. I knew about the advantages of 304 stainless steel but not about Tri-Y. Now I see why Pfadt pushes this design.
I would never consider headers (or any exhaust component) made of 409.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJO View Post
Chase, i appreciate the time and effort that you and some of the other sponsors take to explain the technical aspect of various parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Good info. I knew about the advantages of 304 stainless steel but not about Tri-Y. Now I see why Pfadt pushes this design.
I would never consider headers (or any exhaust component) made of 409.
Thanks! We feel that as a vendor you have a certain responsibility to contribute to the community.

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works