Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
VALOR

Drives: L99 cyber grey
Need your help guys

Fellas,

Like most of you, I don't have the money to completely mod the Camaro at one time. As such, I'm going to have to do it in stages. Any ideas on what path I should take from start to finish (i.e. exhaust all the way to K-Member) in order to ensure that the process goes smoothly. I already have a Corsa exhaust. Was thinking about doing the intake manifold, throttle body and intake next at one time.

Thanks boys
VALOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I think exhaust and CAI is the first mods you should do on this car. With the right headers/exhaust and CAI you can easily gain 50 HP at the wheels with a good tune.

I do have a ported intake manifold on my car which gained 10HP. The throttle body that I have is ported also...it DID NOT gain any HP on the dyno, but it did make a noticable difference in throttle response.

As for other mods, you will start to see a lot more cost involved in installation. So in my opinion those are a GREAT starting point. If you need any other advice, or have questions please feel free to get in touch with me. I am also here to help if you need to place any orders or check pricing.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Camaro_Psycho

Drives: 1981 Chevy Celebrity
+1 I most definetly agree that your next upgrade should be CAI and Headers. btw I would go with the ARH's LTs, those things are seeing 50hp and 45tq with a proper tune and I believe they are emission legal (I think).
Camaro_Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
VALOR

Drives: L99 cyber grey
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm already on the waiting list for the Vararam intake. And had already looked at the AR long tubes -- these things are pricey though -- $1775 is the cheapest I could find. They aren't carb legal in CA, but you only live once I guess
VALOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALOR View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm already on the waiting list for the Vararam intake. And had already looked at the AR long tubes -- these things are pricey though -- $1775 is the cheapest I could find. They aren't carb legal in CA, but you only live once I guess
This is why 90% of the country can't stand California. What the heck IS legal there?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
This is why 90% of the country can't stand California. What the heck IS legal there?
marijuana.
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
Camaro_Psycho

Drives: 1981 Chevy Celebrity
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2010camaross View Post
marijuana.
Camaro_Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
gmag21
gmag21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to gmag21 Send a message via Skype™ to gmag21
LMR Cold Air Intake - $400
Spark Plugs
Ported Throttle Body
American Racing Headers or Kooks- $1800 or $1600
Pulleys
CAM

L99 | Billyboat Exhaust, American Racing Headers, Pfadt Springs and Sways, Tune | 350 whp / 371 tq
gmag21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Actually the general order most people do this in is:
Cai..
Exhaust
Headers
Pulley if you want.
then any suspension stuff
then start thinking about the cam and springs

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Forced Induction. I know it is expensive but if you intend to do it at some point you may want to tailor your build towards it.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Pedophilia
weed
nudity
gay marriage was for a while
illegal aliens
day labor sites
gay rights parades that offend pretty much everyone...even most gay people

Thats about it.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALOR View Post
Fellas,

Like most of you, I don't have the money to completely mod the Camaro at one time. As such, I'm going to have to do it in stages. Any ideas on what path I should take from start to finish (i.e. exhaust all the way to K-Member) in order to ensure that the process goes smoothly. I already have a Corsa exhaust. Was thinking about doing the intake manifold, throttle body and intake next at one time.

Thanks boys
valor i have the same set up as you cyber grey L99. im going with shorty headers and a borla cat back. all the norcal guys are meeting up next weekend you can come out cruise with us and check out the set up.
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
addictedtoboost

Drives: Red and black
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Forced Induction. I know it is expensive but if you intend to do it at some point you may want to tailor your build towards it.
You beat me to it, Force induction is the highest HP gain for the lowest dollars spent, I see countless customers that started with bolt ons only to take off the cold air kit and throttle body overwrite the custom N/A tune and install a supercharger and wish they never bothered with N/A bolt ons.

We also have to be Aware Of The Emission Laws depending on what state your in, I am in CT which is CA emisson laws as well as NY, MA, RI, Jersey, as far as I can tell.

With a blower you can have 500+ hp and still pass emissions NO HASSLES.

You install a set of Headers and forgetaboutit, your not passing NO Way NO How even with a tune.

You Won't have a Check engine Lite but your Cat Readiness Monitors will never set.

Google Readiness Monitors for some Fun Reading.

I love Moding cars but we have to evolve with the times so we constantly look for ways to have fun and not break the law in order to stay in business and not get sued by an Irate customer who can't get his $50,000 car through emmissions.

Besides I am Addictedtoboost
addictedtoboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #14
69Bird

Drives: 1969 Firebird, 2010 Camaro SS
I would go exhaust (headers) before intake. I feel you gain more there than on an intake by far. Yes if you do them as a matched set it would be best. Still exhaust is the most restrictive factory item on all cars.