Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Gone

Drives: Fast
Camaro SS Questions. 500-600hp possible on stock internals?

Hi guys I am thinking about a Camaro SS but have some questions on this car coming out. I am new to this forum and I figure from reading some of these threads you guys know this car inside and out would be less time consuming than trying to use the search as I am new to this car so any help would be appreciated.

6.2 Motor SS/RS 2SS

Is the RA forged?
What is the exact CR?
What RPM redline is this motor safely capable of in your opinion?
Anyone know the real stock RWHP/RWTQ numbers on this car yet?
On the manual & clutch how good is this trans, how much rwhp do you think it can handle (FI) and happen to know what the 1st gear ratio is?
On the rear end whats your opinion on the quality of it stock and again how much rwhp do you think it can handle in stock form with a girdle?

The reason for the questions if I were to get a Camaro which I am considering I would be looking to sc it (poss Techco sc) and not looking to make crazy high rwhp but would want to make aleast around 550-600rwhp if possible on stock internals and drive train if possible.

TIA
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
2008 "LS3" 6.2L V8 (LS3) Car 41007
Type: 6.2L Gen IV V8 Small Block
Displacement: 6162cc (376.0 ci)
Compression ratio: 10.7:1
Valve configuration: overhead valves (2 valves per cylinder)
Assembly site: St. Catharines, Ontario
Valve lifters: hydraulic roller
Firing order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3
Bore x stroke: 103.25 x 92mm
Fuel system: sequential fuel injection
Fuel type: premium fuel recommended
Engine Orientation Longitudinal
Valves per cylinder 2
Bore Center (mm) 111.76
Engine Mass TBD
Applications: Horsepower: hp ( kw )
Chevrolet Corvette 430 hp (321kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE CERTIFIED
Chevrolet Corvette w/ Optional Exhaust 436 hp (325kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE CERTIFIED
Applications: Torque: lb-ft. ( Nm )
Chevrolet Corvette 424 lb-ft (575Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE CERTIFIED
Chevrolet Corvette w/ Optional Exhaust 428 lb-ft (580Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE CERTIFIED
Fuel shut off: 6600 rpm
Emissions controls: catalytic converter
three-way catalyst
positive crankcase ventilation
Materials:
Block: cast aluminum
Cylinder head: cast aluminum
Intake manifold: composite
Exhaust manifold: cast nodular iron
Main bearing caps: powder metal
Crankshaft: cast iron with undercut and rolled fillets
Camshaft: hollow steel
Connecting rods: forged powder metal
Additional features: extended life spark plugs
extended life coolant
oil level sensor
Oil Life System
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Hi welcome. Come over to the V8 subforum for the info.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Hi welcome. Come over to the V8 subforum for the info.
Thanks and is it ok to post this again in that forum with the mods /rules?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
One of the mods will move it soon.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkgb View Post
2008 "LS3" 6.2L V8 (LS3) Car 41007
Type: 6.2L Gen IV V8 Small Block
Displacement: 6162cc (376.0 ci)
Compression ratio: 10.7:1
Valve configuration: overhead valves (2 valves per cylinder)
Assembly site: St. Catharines, Ontario
Valve lifters: hydraulic roller
Firing order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3
Bore x stroke: 103.25 x 92mm
Fuel system: sequential fuel injection
Fuel type: premium fuel recommended
Engine Orientation Longitudinal
Valves per cylinder 2
Bore Center (mm) 111.76
Engine Mass TBD
Applications: Horsepower: hp ( kw )
Chevrolet Corvette 430 hp (321kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE CERTIFIED
Chevrolet Corvette w/ Optional Exhaust 436 hp (325kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE CERTIFIED
Applications: Torque: lb-ft. ( Nm )
Chevrolet Corvette 424 lb-ft (575Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE CERTIFIED
Chevrolet Corvette w/ Optional Exhaust 428 lb-ft (580Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE CERTIFIED
Fuel shut off: 6600 rpm
Emissions controls: catalytic converter
three-way catalyst
positive crankcase ventilation
Materials:
Block: cast aluminum
Cylinder head: cast aluminum
Intake manifold: composite
Exhaust manifold: cast nodular iron
Main bearing caps: powder metal
Crankshaft: cast iron with undercut and rolled fillets
Camshaft: hollow steel
Connecting rods: forged powder metal
Additional features: extended life spark plugs
extended life coolant
oil level sensor
Oil Life System
Thanks if those numbers are accurate (w/o dyno rwhp) about 360rwhp so 550+rwhp would be possible but the 10.7 cr could be a road block?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
just use good fuel, and a better tune, thats whats important.
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Gone

Hi mods one of you guys edited/added the following in my title thread "500-600hp on stock internals"

Thanks but could edit it to say 550rwhp-600rwhp on stock internals per my question in my first post? TIA
Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazm View Post
just use good fuel, and a better tune, thats whats important.

So are saying in your opinion you could run around 15psi on a 10.7 cr to make around 550rwhp-600rwhp?

What is your opinion of the highest psi you could run on a 10.7 cr in this motor and is the RA forged in this motor?

Last edited by Gone; 04-12-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
I do not believe the pistons are forged, but the crank is.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitboy View Post
I do not believe the pistons are forged, but the crank is.
Detroitboy - When someone is nice enough to look up and post the specs of something, you could at least take the time to read it before throwing around false info.

It's cast nodular iron. The pistons are cast. The rods are forged powdered metal.

There's a video of a Camaro being dynoed somewhere around here. It put down 364rwhp I believe.

I've read from several people over at LS1tech.com that 7000 RPM should be safe with the stock rotating assembly. I'd probably update the valvetrain, though, just to be safe.

The trans is the new TR6060, the successor to the T56. I believe it's rated at 650 lb/ft of torque.

The stock rear - no one really knows. Most people on here are guessing around 550, though I've seen some guessing 750. I think that's a little high. I don't know of too many parts that have ever come on a stock car to handle 750 hp. There are a few, but I doubt the Camaro will be one.

600rwhp on stock drivetrain and internals? Sure. I doubt you're going to break it on your first day out. I wouldn't expect it to live for very long though, that's a little greedy. You gotta pay to play, I believe is the general expression around here.

If you're going forced induction, why would you need to rev to 7000 anyway?
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
Detroitboy - When someone is nice enough to look up and post the specs of something, you could at least take the time to read it before throwing around false info.

It's cast nodular iron. The pistons are cast. The rods are forged powdered metal.

There's a video of a Camaro being dynoed somewhere around here. It put down 364rwhp I believe.

I've read from several people over at LS1tech.com that 7000 RPM should be safe with the stock rotating assembly. I'd probably update the valvetrain, though, just to be safe.

The trans is the new TR6060, the successor to the T56. I believe it's rated at 650 lb/ft of torque.

The stock rear - no one really knows. Most people on here are guessing around 550, though I've seen some guessing 750. I think that's a little high. I don't know of too many parts that have ever come on a stock car to handle 750 hp. There are a few, but I doubt the Camaro will be one.

600rwhp on stock drivetrain and internals? Sure. I doubt you're going to break it on your first day out. I wouldn't expect it to live for very long though, that's a little greedy. You gotta pay to play, I believe is the general expression around here.

If you're going forced induction, why would you need to rev to 7000 anyway?

Ok some good info but UTHA68 I am not seeing what the piston material is listed in that spec sheet? But your saying for 100% sure they are cast and not forged?
Ok wow I didn't know it was a 6060 nice trans stock way to go Chevy That would/should also mean a 2.97 first gear then. On the rear end I was wondering if it could hold 550-600rwhp guess we will have to see 750hp imo would find very hard to believe unless Chevy really builds a really strong stock rear end!! I am hoping wondering if it can handle 550-600rwhp safely should I get one.

Yes shouldn't break in one day but hope with a good tune the motor should last a decent amount of time on barrowed time. But the question I am wondering is what is a safe rwhp range would that be on this motor without pushing it high and give it some longevity. That is what I am wondering I was thinking with ci's 550-600rwhp might be there but with a 10.7 I am not so sure now running a sc. I am thinking maybe around 12psi max on 10.7, if the motor is not forged (cast pistons & Powder rods?) then maybe 8-10psi max which would imo put this car at around 450-500rwhp which imo is to low for what I want on stock internals.
But I am not sure of the above and is why I am here for some help on this car and motor.

I did not say I want to go 7k on redline 6.5 would be fine with me just asking how high this motor could go safely. I have had a couple previous sc cars have run 6.4 .6.6K on a stock motor with out blowing up. But imo redline 7k is not consider that high imo going sc. On a centi sc 7K would be very nice since it builds hp @ tq the higher you go in the rpm's and 7K would nice imo.

Thanks for your input it was helpful!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
"The LS3 has a forged crank, hypereutectic pistons and powdered connecting rods." (some other poster)

Agree completely with the pistons and rods you mention, but according to John Rydzewski the LS3's Assistant Chief Engineer (ACE) the crank is cast. (Nodular Iron, but cast)

"LS3's nodular iron, rolled-fillet-journal crankshaft is similar to those used in LS1 and LS6 engines except for counter weights altered to rebalance the engine for a slightly heavier piston."

550-600 rwhp means the crank hp is anywhere from 10 - 20% higher depending on drivetrain loss. Puts the crank hp range you are looking for between 605 and 720 hp. Can it be done? Yes. Many have. For how long? Boosted or Normally Aspirated? Nitrous? Why 7,000 rpm? Engines live a lot longer at 6,000.

The ability for the tranny and rear to handle higher hp is irrelevant unless you plan on putting sticky tires and suspension mods. The stock tires are your safety valve and will break loose way before the drivetrain gives it up... It comes down to how are you really going to use the extra hp you are looking for?

Just some things to think about. But hey Gone, enjoy it no matter what you do !
Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
"The LS3 has a forged crank, hypereutectic pistons and powdered connecting rods." (some other poster)

Agree completely with the pistons and rods you mention, but according to John Rydzewski the LS3's Assistant Chief Engineer (ACE) the crank is cast. (Nodular Iron, but cast)

"LS3's nodular iron, rolled-fillet-journal crankshaft is similar to those used in LS1 and LS6 engines except for counter weights altered to rebalance the engine for a slightly heavier piston."

550-600 rwhp means the crank hp is anywhere from 10 - 20% higher depending on drivetrain loss. Puts the crank hp range you are looking for between 605 and 720 hp. Can it be done? Yes. Many have. For how long? Boosted or Normally Aspirated? Nitrous?
The ability for the tranny and rear to handle higher hp is irrelevant unless you plan on putting sticky tires and suspension mods. The stock tires are your safety valve and will break loose way before the drivetrain gives it up... It comes down to how are you really going to use the extra hp you are looking for?

Just some things to think about. But hey Gone, enjoy it no matter what you do !
Quote:
Why 7,000 rpm? Engines live a lot longer at 6,000.
Ok on your 7K rpm I never posted I wanted to go 7k (check my first post) just asked what was the the safest redline this motor could go to. My response to UTHA68 on how it would be of a benifit if running a centi sc was directed per his question.

Quote:

No offense meant to you but if I was going to run street tires I would not be looking to make 550rwhp-600rwhp (650-700hp) with a TS sc. From past experience the car would be useless on the street or on the track running street tires making this power with a TS sc and would be a waste of power. You have to run sticky times on this setup making this much power running a TS sc or you just wasting your time and money.

But thanks for your input. It is sounding like to me imo from the l info I have seen so far due to the internals and cr 500rwhp (around 575hp) looks is going to be safe range/level on barrowed time with some decent longevity on this motor with a good tune.

My friends and I always talk in rwhp seems you guys talk in hp no big deal but just though I'd mention it.

Last edited by Gone; 04-12-2009 at 03:03 PM.