Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
5th-gen as a family car?

Extreme I know, but thought I'd ask? I know I'd probably end up using my 5th-gen as such in addition to the wifes car (if that was the scenario, long ways off). Anyone out there actually considering this idea???
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Extreme I know, but thought I'd ask? I know I'd probably end up using my 5th-gen as such in addition to the wifes car (if that was the scenario, long ways off). Anyone out there actually considering this idea???
Well it has to be practical... and i'm hoping to keep it when i have kids...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS9CamaroSS View Post
Well it has to be practical... and i'm hoping to keep it when i have kids...
That's my thought, but I don't know bouncing between the front and rear seat to get the kiddie out.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I'm thinking that It will be a while before I get kids anyway and it will probably be fine until the kids start to get too big to fit in the backseats. I'm not planning on having more then two kids anyway and I'm sure that a need for a wagon for the wife would arise anyway. The Camaro will be all mine for a loooooong time.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I will be getting mine as an addition to the wife's car. We don't have kids yet, but I plan on keeping it for a very long time regardless. My wife NEVER drives my car now, and we usually take her car when we are together, so I don't see any kids we might have riding in my car a lot.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
UltimateAdam

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
Well, the interior looks bigger than my 1998 Pontiac Firebird, and my 5yr old son is ALWAYS in that car, and lots of room to move around, so I would say its good
UltimateAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Definitely planning to use it for hauling my wife and 2 kids around. It will be my daily driver (45 mile RT commute), which includes dropping the kids off at school in the morning. We'll more than likely use it for running errands on the weekend that don't require the size of my wife's Expedition.

The backseat can't be any more cramped than the rear seat of my '97 extended cab C1500 and will likely have more room given that the two 10" subs are going in the trunk instead being squished between the front/rear seats of my truck.

I grew up with my dad driving a '70 Nova with an inline 6 under the hood. My kids will grow up with dad driving a 2010 Camaro with a v6 under the hood (unless I get a nice raise at work this year, then it's a v8). Staying limber enough to get in and out of the backseat of a 2 door car is a requirement for getting through childhood in my family.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
No kids yet but plan on trying by the end of the summer (we want one last summer of peace and quiet )

She'll be switching out her Infiniti M35 out for the Camaro. We both love my Avalanche too much to get rid of it...so, we'll keep the Avalanche for the "family vehicle" and we'll use the Camaro as the "other car."

She wants my Avalanche so she told me that she'd trade hers in for whatever I wanted. I told her I would only be buying a Camaro...she said, "OH! Can it be a convertible?" (Before the Infiniti she had an Audi A4 Cabrio and misses the drop-top).

If the only "sacrifices" I need to make with this car are a drop-top, heated seats (if available), and it be in red or orange...I'm pretty happy about it

(It'll be orange...to match the truck)

I must confess something

Aside from the 1st gen...I have never liked a Camaro's styling. The second I saw the concept art for the 5th gen, I knew I'd have one in my driveway.

Now I see some 4th gens that I actually REALLY like. I guess tastes can change when your eyes get opened.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Considering the weight of the car, it ought to be large enough and safe enough for family use. The only difficulty would be the two doors. I have a tiny 2008 VW Rabbit that, in the four door version, would be an acceptable family car -- the back seat is surprisingly decent (leaving almost zero cargo space, though). The Camaro ought to beat that backseat easily.

I'll be using mine for my 38 mile each way commute. I have a 2002 GMC Sierra extended cab 4x4 which will probably be my family car if we start to spawn in the next few years, and my wife has an SUV.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Sorry, babe-mobile first and if I should marry and have kids, I'll get another car for the family. The Camaro won't be the family car.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
If you have an infant I would not recommend it. Only because it would be a pain in the butt to get them in and out of their car seat. If they were old enough to buckle and unbuckle themselves it should be fine. Then you have a good 10 years of use out of it before they get to be too big for the room back there!
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Our only 'kids' have 4 paws and big slobbery tongues. They can ride in the wife's SUV - the Camaro will be just for the two of us.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
My family comprises my wife, 10-month-old and myself. There may be another ankle-biter in the future, however, that's all. That being said, it the interior can be at least as big as the 4th. Gen., I'll be happy. I'm sure it's going to be better, but I'm definately not getting it as a family car. My wife has a Jetta 2.5 and I drive an older 4Runner, so we have family, and off-road adventure cars, so this car will be strickly for fun and on the weekends. I hope it is a little more practical than the 4th. Gen. though, in that the doors won't be as long, therefore need more room in parking spaces to get in an out of. Also, I hope there are no huge humps in the floor where the footwells are, like the 4th. Gen. It seems like the mufflers are going to be just in front of the rear facia, so I'm sure this concern won't be a problem, those are just the couple things that bug me about this particular model.

I'm sure GM is going to make this interior as good as technology and price will allow. I'm sure they've gotten enough flack over the years regarding all the negative reviews about their interiors by rags' so I'm sure we'll be in for a real treat

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
My kids are grown and having kids, I plan on driving it to work a few days a week (40 mile r/t) and Crusin when I can.