Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 zl1
Road course tires

2013 Zl1 I have the stock Gy f1 g2s and trying to determine if I wanna go with Toyo proxes, sport cup 2s or pirelli zero. Any opinions?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
Btrbimmer

Drives: 2SS 1LE Silver w/Recaro NPP
Describe how you plan to use the tires.

Do you need to drive on the street as well?

How much experience do you have at the track?

Do you drive in the winter?

Do you have a budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1dad View Post
2013 Zl1 I have the stock Gy f1 g2s and trying to determine if I wanna go with Toyo proxes, sport cup 2s or pirelli zero. Any opinions?

Btrbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Toyo R888's.....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrbimmer View Post
Describe how you plan to use the tires.

Do you need to drive on the street as well?

How much experience do you have at the track?

Do you drive in the winter?

Do you have a budget?
I want them for road course. Yes I would like them to work on the street too but main concern is better traction at the track. I have been to 2 open track days. Going toy 3rd on Thursday @ mid Ohio and then lsfest in September and will be competing for money down there. I say my skill level is moderate, I'm learning but doing good and feel I'm pushing the car more then what the stock tires wanna hold. They squeal on hard cornering and take too long to warm up.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
I want them for road course. Yes I would like them to work on the street too but main concern is better traction at the track. I have been to 2 open track days. Going toy 3rd on Thursday @ mid Ohio and then lsfest in September and will be competing for money down there. I say my skill level is moderate, I'm learning but doing good and feel I'm pushing the car more then what the stock tires wanna hold. They squeal on hard cornering and take too long to warm up.

And yes I'm budget. Proxes are like 400+ each , front tires still good . I was only planning to do rears, how do you think that might handle?

Old 08-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
And yes I'm budget. Proxes are like 400+ each , front tires still good . I was only planning to do rears, how do you think that might handle?

That would handle horribly and be unsafe with varied levels of traction. All or nothing.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
That would handle horribly and be unsafe with varied levels of traction. All or nothing.
Alright

mods:
upper pulley, cai, stat, catch can, plugs
Old 08-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
as mentioned, dont mix and match compounds. the street P zeros are not an upgrade from what you have now. to run on track and street, the RE71s might be a good option. one of the guys at the camaro fest was running in advanced class very well on that tire.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
as mentioned, dont mix and match compounds. the street P zeros are not an upgrade from what you have now. to run on track and street, the RE71s might be a good option. one of the guys at the camaro fest was running in advanced class very well on that tire.
The re71 widest option is 295, stock is 305, I definitely don't wanna go down in width. They proxes are track only. How will they perform on street.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
JOHNSONROD

Quote:
The re71 widest option is 295, stock is 305, I definitely don't wanna go down in width. They proxes are track only. How will they perform on street.

im assuming that dearborn is michigan. i would not do the 888s. they are better than slicks in the wet but not good for wet streets and pot holes and such. everyones situation is different and you could get different opinions, but i would not do it. they would wear out so fast you would be buying tires a lot. if this is what your thinking, just buy a set of wheels and tires for track. put em on and drive to the track and back home, then take em off and put your street wheels and tires on.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
im assuming that dearborn is michigan. i would not do the 888s. they are better than slicks in the wet but not good for wet streets and pot holes and such. everyones situation is different and you could get different opinions, but i would not do it. they would wear out so fast you would be buying tires a lot. if this is what your thinking, just buy a set of wheels and tires for track. put em on and drive to the track and back home, then take em off and put your street wheels and tires on.
Yes I'm in Michigan with shitty roads. After taking it to the track a few times I have the urge to drive it less on the street. Have gotten a rock chip on windshield and one on rear quarter . I think I'm just going to bring it out to go to local shows or for a street race. Otherwise driving it just to drive it is probably going to get faded out. I'm not trying to be cheap but I don't have enough money to pay for this car and spend 3-4k on wheels and tires. The less versitile between street and track the cheaper on me, less miles on car, less assholes flinging rocks at me .
Old 08-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #12
JOHNSONROD

if you have to do one set, just get MPSS and be done with it. its like the brake discussion. i want racing brakes but i dont want squeal or dust... i want R comp tires but i want a tire that goes 30,000 miles and is good in the wet. that tire doesnt exist.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
????

The OP asked about track tires....

The R888's are the best track tire for the ZL1 at this time. I'm looking forward to seeing if the new GY's G3's will be made in are 35 series tires.

Whats all this road tire talk? He didn't ask about a good track and street tire.The OEM GY's do this just fine IMHO.

Just fyi I'm running NITTO RT555 G2 right now and with a 30 series tire to boot. Nice tire but they do get slippery when heated up on the track. I plan on going back to the extra set of GY's I have when these burn off. I'd like the R888's but they are pricey. I'm hoping the GY's G3 are available by the time I need them.

Just my .02
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
They squeal on hard cornering and take too long to warm up.

What do you mean they take too long to warm up? If they are taking multiple laps to warm up you can still push quite a bit harder on the stock tire. The tires should be up to temp by the first lap and getting greasy by the 3rd or 4th lap.
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote