Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
notagto

Drives: 2015 Regal Turbo, 2004 GTO
Any piston issues?

Hey everyone,

In the market for a Camaro and have a love/hate relationship with the LTG. I currently have a 2015 Regal with the LTG and just cracked a piston at the ringlands. Warranty covered replacing the 4 pistons etc. I love the engine and have been driving turbo cars most of my adult life (Saab, Mazdaspeed, Regal)

I have read on here that the engine is different enough to avoid these issues in the Camaro. Anything to confirm that is the case? The potential in this engine is incredible! The fact that stock its almost as fast as my GTO is just icing on the cake lol.

Thanks for any info.
notagto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by notagto View Post
Hey everyone,

In the market for a Camaro and have a love/hate relationship with the LTG. I currently have a 2015 Regal with the LTG and just cracked a piston at the ringlands. Warranty covered replacing the 4 pistons etc. I love the engine and have been driving turbo cars most of my adult life (Saab, Mazdaspeed, Regal)

I have read on here that the engine is different enough to avoid these issues in the Camaro. Anything to confirm that is the case? The potential in this engine is incredible! The fact that stock its almost as fast as my GTO is just icing on the cake lol.

Thanks for any info.
I haven't heard of any issues outside Jason@JacFab's but he's pushing limits for research so not an accurate basis to go off of for moderate bolt-on builds and daily use.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I haven't heard of any issues outside Jason@JacFab's but he's pushing limits for research so not an accurate basis to go off of for moderate bolt-on builds and daily use.
What he said
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The issue plagues all GDI engines, and especially forced induction versions. The issue is 2 fold, first is the poor design of the PCV system allows oil/water/gunk to accumulate in the intercooler and once it reaches enough it can be pushed into the combustion chamber and causes hydrolock. This we correct with our catchcan system designed for the 2.0T.

The second cause is LSPI. Low Speed Pre Ignition. This occurs when the excessive fuel pushed past the rings into the crankcase mixes with oil most and is pushed behind the top compression rings. If it ignites, it is a violent explosion and breaks the piston at the same area.

This can also bend a rod and you will most likely not know aside from slight miss:

This is also eliminated with our dual valve E2-X system as we provide full time evacuation flushing and removing these compounds and more from the crankcase.

Then, Amsoil has reformulated all of their street oils to render these vapors non explosive. Mobile one recently did as well, but those are the ONLY oils were currently aware of that address this.

And GM starting in model year 2016 made the piston thinker in that area so they are stronger and less prone to the common failures prior.

Hope this helps all understand even more these are NOT the engines of the past, and the shortened warranty periods on GDI engines also reflects this.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
In addition to Jason, don't forget that @SUN blew up his LTG, @Coolest Courier did as well, and at least 2 guys with 17/18 ATS. But, in every one of those cases, there was aftermarket tuning. Keep it stock and you have a very very low chance of any problems. Go for more power and the odds get worse.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekes1 View Post
In addition to Jason, don't forget that @SUN blew up his LTG, @Coolest Courier did as well, and at least 2 guys with 17/18 ATS. But, in every one of those cases, there was aftermarket tuning. Keep it stock and you have a very very low chance of any problems. Go for more power and the odds get worse.
Forgot about @SUN but @Coolest Couriers wasn't a piston issue at all. It was caused by something else alot less catastrophic but still shitty.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
OP, I can tell you GM global warranty LTG claims on piston related issues dropped significantly after the 2015 model year. This includes Cadillac, Chevy, and Buick. Some of that could be chalked up to mileage, but not to the extent of almost non-existence.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:38 AM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Right, Sun was pushing it, and so was I... I personally don’t know that I believe the coolests video of the blown boot... when I saw it I was like “wtf, this is your mechanic???” As he was Reving it multiple times to show the “issue”. More for YouTube drama i would hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:43 AM   #9
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab

Here’s my broken piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:03 AM   #10
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Hi Notagto!,
just for your info, GM has released a service bulletin (17-NA-039) that suggests some strict kind of engine lubricants (low calcium oils)..

"General Motors has identified an issue with the use of certain oils in the 2.0L turbo engine (LTG) that could result in premature engine piston failure. When performing an oil change on the 2.0L turbo engine, it is required to use a low calcium oil, ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30. If ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 is not available, use Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil or Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30.".

See you!!,
Eos

Last edited by Eos; 06-09-2018 at 05:10 AM. Reason: TSB number changed
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
Hi Notagto!,
just for your info, GM has released a service bulletin (17-NA-039) that suggests some strict kind of engine lubricants (low calcium oils)..

"General Motors has identified an issue with the use of certain oils in the 2.0L turbo engine (LTG) that could result in premature engine piston failure. When performing an oil change on the 2.0L turbo engine, it is required to use a low calcium oil, ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30. If ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 is not available, use Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil or Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30.".

See you!!,
Eos
Sweet that's the only stuff I used
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:29 AM   #12
SUN

Drives: Camaro 2.0 2017 8 speeds
Yes at this time it s againe i think the 4 pistons... it s the third time i will open my enginefirst time 1-2 pistons second 4 and again 90psi on 4 , my Camaro is to. Paint shop at this time ( win fight with racoon, but with dommage) after that i will re open the engine to see the domage... maybe it s my error...the second time i blow engine is because i missed water/ meth in my tank...
SUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:48 AM   #13
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS
Anytime elite pushes their cans and designs to you remember one thing their design is flawed and when you show them it is flawed ask questions they will delete their thread. They make a great but very expensive can. Their system design is flawed and they do not list any install instructions on their site for the ltg motor. One very big why is this needed starts at their “you also need the clean side separator” just remember if their design was correct you should have no issue using the factory fresh air in port. They are just trying to sell bs.
Thandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #14
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

I think people generally know about elites can on here for now. Although people keep buying rpm as well.....