Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
SRTLOL

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6M
Worse sound audio with PAK kit

So I installed a song xav100 double din head unit with the PAC kit. I have the Boston acoustic system and after the install it seems like the bass is gone and the audio quality has gone a little down hill. I used butt connectors to make the connections and I'm thinking about reading it. And ideas on where to start? It sounds more gritty and kinda lack luster compared to when I had the stock radio installed.

Last edited by SRTLOL; 05-30-2018 at 11:25 PM.
SRTLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Same thing happened to me. Same PAK also, I gave up and just told myself to go back to stock or redo the entire system. I rewired and looked at everything with the same results. I believe it’s the PAK kit not the head unit..

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I was told that the factory BA amp does not work well with aftermarket head units. Running a aftermarket amp should solve the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Try reading through this thread - it's kind of long but it will help you fix the problem.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ht=aftermarket

Basically you should try swapping the connector from amped to non-amped.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
This ^^^
Old 05-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post

Basically you should try swapping the connector from amped to non-amped.
NAILED IT!!!
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
I only have the base speakers but when i hooked my iPhone USB into the mylink or whatever it is called I have what I'd call amazing sound. Very impressed. FM radio always sucked. XM was much better. But the USB set up is best of all. Serious bass. Makes the rearview mirror jiggle. Better than Apple CarPlay.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Just fixed my problem. Change the plug..

Quote from link given above!!

Nevermind, I have FINALLY found the answer. I tried different things, none were working. As I was scratching my head looking at the PAC device, thinking something was wrong with it, I realized that one plug from the main harness (the factory sound plug) can fit into 2 different connector holes.

Sure enough, it was plugged in the wrong one... After redoing all the cables for 2 hours, I plugged everthing back and it works perfectly. In my defense, their schematic on the manual/guide is wrong; it does show the plug connected on the bottom left instead of the bottom right. However, what I had missed is that they are labelled. The amp functions exactly as it did before again, I'm very happy.

Now, I can't finish mounting the whole thing because trying the stereo 3 mins emptied my battery. It's like a never ending story!

Thank you all for all the help. I hope this can help someone else one day

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
Just fixed my problem. Change the plug..

Quote from link given above!!

Nevermind, I have FINALLY found the answer. I tried different things, none were working. As I was scratching my head looking at the PAC device, thinking something was wrong with it, I realized that one plug from the main harness (the factory sound plug) can fit into 2 different connector holes.

Sure enough, it was plugged in the wrong one... After redoing all the cables for 2 hours, I plugged everthing back and it works perfectly. In my defense, their schematic on the manual/guide is wrong; it does show the plug connected on the bottom left instead of the bottom right. However, what I had missed is that they are labelled. The amp functions exactly as it did before again, I'm very happy.

Now, I can't finish mounting the whole thing because trying the stereo 3 mins emptied my battery. It's like a never ending story!

Thank you all for all the help. I hope this can help someone else one day

Was about to say check the plugs lol. Ive done 10 of these things and they all sound fantastic! ( with a decent head unit attached )
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
SRTLOL

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6M
Thanks for yp ur help guys! I'm going to try swapping the plug over to the non amp plug and see how that goes. Next if that doesn't work I will try switching the amps.