Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #1135
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
I do free weights, and pretty much everything I can standing (working the core) 4 sets 12,10,8,6 going up on weight, like to combine compound exercise with freeletics, thinking on increase freeletics... I don't know if I answer your question...
Looking for more details. on chest day

What exercise, in what order , what weight and how many reps

Example

Bench press, 100 lbs 3 sets 12 reps

Flies. 45lb 3 x 12

Etc.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #1136
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Looking for more details. on chest day

What exercise, in what order , what weight and how many reps

Example

Bench press, 100 lbs 3 sets 12 reps

Flies. 45lb 3 x 12

Etc.
That's going to be a lot of typing! Lol! But you just give me a good idea! I'm going to start a journal in January with all info on a daily workout and Friday photo update! Maybe that will give motivation for others to join!
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #1137
CFD

Quote:
That's going to be a lot of typing! Lol! But you just give me a good idea! I'm going to start a journal in January with all info on a daily workout and Friday photo update! Maybe that will give motivation for others to join!
Writing it down is the best way to see your progress, you can look back and see what's working, what's not and it helps keep you moving in the right direction. I have a workout sheet for every workout I've done since 2009. I'll post up a sample of one of my routines so you can see how I chart my workouts.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #1138
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
If you're going for weight loss, then make sure you're taking whey not creatine, because it makes you larger and let's you retain more water. And also your workouts should be light weights, high reps. When I'm cutting I usually run a mile before my workout and then half after. Do a lot of leg/core and ab workouts will be much easier.

On diet I usually eat more for breakfast and eat less and less until dinner (you don't want uneccessary calories when you go to bed, it's no use) protein shakes post workouts and I just love spinach and lucky that I live in Alaska I get to eat all my salmon for my omega. And most importantly stay away from carbs unless you're going to the gym after. Bottom line is eat what you need not what you want.

I'm 6“ 200 lbs 20%body fat

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1139
CFD

This is one of my basic workouts. It makes it easy to track progress and see what if any gains are made. The weight I use is not important to you, the weight you use is what's important. More importantly is achieving your set goals in # of sets and reps. I often make notations on various things that influence my workouts, for example this one notes at the top Flu, I struggled through this and dropped weight and sets until my last workout. These things that influence my workouts, such as injuries or limited time allows me to see why things did or didn't work. I find it an invaluable tool.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #1140
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
If you're going for weight loss, then make sure you're taking whey not creatine, because it makes you larger and let's you retain more water. And also your workouts should be light weights, high reps. When I'm cutting I usually run a mile before my workout and then half after. Do a lot of leg/core and ab workouts will be much easier.

On diet I usually eat more for breakfast and eat less and less until dinner (you don't want uneccessary calories when you go to bed, it's no use) protein shakes post workouts and I just love spinach and lucky that I live in Alaska I get to eat all my salmon for my omega. And most importantly stay away from carbs unless you're going to the gym after. Bottom line is eat what you need not what you want.

I'm 6“ 200 lbs 20%body fat

I somewhat disagree with this. I always try to use heavier weights, reason being simple, building more muscle. it requires more calories to sustain muscle, so in turn, muscle burns fat. Rather than making workouts aerobic for fat burning and sacrificing muscle gains,include HIIT or other aerobic exercises. Don't compromise muscle gains for fat loss.

Creatine doesn't make you bigger. Creatine promotes muscle strength and more importantly helps in recovery from exercise. So if your objection to creatine is because it may help in gaining muscle which in turn makes you bigger I'm at a loss behind the reasoning.

I also disagree with lengthy aerobics such as running before weight lifting as you are depleting energy stores required to move heavy weight and as a result making your workout catabolic not anabolic as it should be. 10-15 minutes of pre workout exercise as a warm up is fine but nothing else. You cannot emphasize on two goals at one. Make weight training a muscle building exercise and aerobics a fat burning one.

I'm also big on nutrient timing and calorie tapering as you mentioned but again I always eat my meals according to my workouts. Usually a high glycemic protein shake intra workout and then my next meal a high protein starchy carb meal following. I avoid insulin spikes due to high GI meals and drinks at all times EXCEPT around workouts when they are useful in transporting protein to your muscles, just after your workouts your muscles are like sponges absorbing nutrients so don't starve them.

I'm also a bit confused on a lot of ab work for weight loss. It's almost useless. Abdominal muscle are relatively small, the more muscle used the more fat burning. The best thing for fat loss with weight training would be whole body exercises that engage the maximum amount of muscle possible such as the big lifts, squats, deadlifts, bench presses and rows.. These are also the most useful for strength gains.

Last edited by CFD; 12-21-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #1141
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
I see I'm going to love been in this thread! Already so much information in so short time... abs only ones a week since I have to clean the fat on top first... like I said I thought I want to loose weight but after some research I prefer to get lean and keep a bulky good shape, looks like the answer of my question is on more compound workouts...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #1142
CFD

Quote:
I see I'm going to love been in this thread! Already so much information in so short time... abs only ones a week since I have to clean the fat on top first... like I said I thought I want to loose weight but after some research I prefer to get lean and keep a bulky good shape, looks like the answer of my question is on more compound workouts...
Here is something I always tell people, train the way the people you want to look like train. In other words, take a look at a marathon runner, very lean, lanky, not much muscle, if that's what you want to look like then run all day long. Take a look at a sprinter, very lean, very muscular especially legs, if that's what you want to look like then train how they train. Look at al natural body builders, again very lean and muscular, if that's what you want to look like train like they do. I can guarantee you that body builders have very strict diets, work mostly with weights and aerobics mostly for cutting and getting that shredded look. Now me personally would never want to look like a runner, so I don't run like one. In all honesty when I first started with my fat loss goals I concentrated on fat loss doing lots of cardio with a very restricted diet. I sometimes did two sessions a day. I got good results and started loosing fat fairly rapidly and quite steadily, as I got leaner I was thrilled but didn't have the look I wanted and didn't feel all that great. I then started with weight training and the fat melted off. I still did cardio but no longer 45-50 min sessions every day. I actually used the 3-day split I posted, this allowed for 3 days weight training and two days cardio in between and a full days rest. I also started doing research on calorie tapering and cycling and found myself eating much, much more and still loosing fat, I was eating clean with good food choices but now the tables turned and I started getting a bit more muscular while still getting leaner and I felt fantastic. Now I use several different programs but I don't bounce around. I stick to a program for it's full duration, usually 8-12 weeks or whatever the specific program calls for and I hardly ever do cardio for any length of time, I do some but more for health benefits than fat loss. I am now just finishing a 4-day split I use. It's not four body parts a week but two whole body workouts for strength and then two for strength/hypertrophy. This is why I'm back on the 3-day I posted as I am in a cutting phase. As you can see in the program I listed it's primary lifts are whole body lifts followed by some isolation work. I get very good results with it. If you would like to try it I will post a blank you can use instead of typing it out, if you follow it as written for 8-10 weeks and include a HIIT routine on two days I think you will see some solid results BUT you must get a handle on your eating habits. I've posted a bunch of eating plans and strategies all over this thread that you can search or I can direct you to them. There are a bunch of very knowledgeable people on here in weight training and fat loss. There are also a bunch of conflicting theories but most of the successful ones have the same basic principals as the foundation. Whatever you decide to go with don't make the mistake of bouncing around, pick a solid program and run it's course or you will get nowhere.

On a side note about abs. You work your abs like every other muscle group, doing countless ab exercise is useless in my opinion. Almost every lift you do especially whole body lifts will engage your abs if done correctly, at the end of a workout your abs SHOULD have got a good workout and a few sets of crunches, leg raises or other ab exercise should wipe them out. I can do crunches in very large numbers,
after a good workout 3 sets will be about all, when they are no longer challenging start doing them with some weight, on a stability ball or incline and watch what happens.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #1143
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Okay, I am going to be a brave girl & pics up before & after pics. I still have a way to go but overall & have gone from size 16 at my heaviest to size 8 now gettng loose on me. Next years goal is going to be to see my abs for the first time in my life & finally get rid of the last of the fat around my middle. The first pics were when I got down to size 12 in the summer of 2010 shortly after I got My Camaro. I was already feeling good about my progress & was beginning to think I would never be smaller than size 12. I even got rid of all my size nice 10 suits. Then hte next one is when I got down to size 10 in 2011. Yet another plateau. I thought this was the best I could do & I'd never be smaller than size 10. Then some shots as I am now (well I may have put on a bit of weight with the holidays but not a lot). As yo can see, I still have some tummy fat & some on my back close to my waist & hips. Hopefully next year that too will be gone. I am even going to post here the unflattering ones from this year because I want you to see the tough places I have to conquer this year. And here is a link to my Christmas Photo shoot with more pics (the good ones).
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333801

Attached Images

Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #1144
CFD

You've made a lot of progress. Before photo's are a good reminder of why we do what we do and good motivation to keep progressing.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #1145
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Ruby is glowing red hot!
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #1146
RubyCamaro
Jan

Thank you. But you just wait until next year when I get that mid section in shape!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #1147
Bonnie
Bonfyre

Drives: C6, 2005 Corvette
Love it Ruby, You go girl!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #1148
RubyCamaro
Jan

Does anyone have a great tasting, healthy coffee cake recipe? My husband has said he will give up his very unhealthy breakfast if I find him one. I know someone has one. A little help please.