Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
wjmeyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS, 2LT
Good News: Waze coming to Android Auto

It's about time (sometime in Q1 of 2017), check link!

http://nseavoice.com/tech/android-au...920018560.html

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  21.7 KB
wjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Awww. Carplay too?!
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
YES! Finally!
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
SM1

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 Vert HBM+white stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Awww. Carplay too?!
Nope. Apple still not allowing any 3rd party nav apps to utilize CarPlay.
SM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
MPScan

Drives: 2017 FIFTY VERT MANUAL 2SS
There's an entire 19 page thread on iOS and Waze in the Waze forums. Basically, it's not happening.

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic...635c&start=180
MPScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1 View Post
Nope. Apple still not allowing any 3rd party nav apps to utilize CarPlay.
Have to love that locked down crappy ecosystem of Apple...just another reason that they are inferior.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
wjmeyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS, 2LT
If Waze becomes available only on android auto, I would bet an increasing number of iphone users would switch. Maybe Apple would learn a valuable lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPScan View Post
There's an entire 19 page thread on iOS and Waze in the Waze forums. Basically, it's not happening.

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic...635c&start=180
wjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmeyer View Post
If Waze becomes available only on android auto, I would bet an increasing number of iphone users would switch. Maybe Apple would learn a valuable lesson.
Apple will never learn, all they are worried about is the "faithful" that will buy anything that they make. Once again they will build another inferior product this year against a very touch slew of Android products coming out soon.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Off topic a tad - Haven't had my radio updated to android auto yet as i forget every time i take it to the dealer. Will it mess up anything when they update? Just curious...
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
it will not mess anything up when they update it.

I was a former Iphone user and switched to the Samsung Galaxy series of Android phones. I used Carplay with my Iphone for about 5 or 6 months before I made the switch to the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and got my Camaro's radio updated to include Android Auto. My initial impression was good but, as I've gotten used to it more, it has turned to great. The interface for Carplay always seemed buggy to me and I had various instances of it just not working for no apparent reason. Whereas, Android Auto just seems to work. I did have an instance of it not working but, it was due to a faulty cable. Another thing I noticed is that the same mp3 files I had on my Iphone sounded louder when played through my Galaxy. Not sure why that is but, I'm guessing it has to do with the decoding via the phones. Perhaps the Galaxy outputs at a higher voltage. I'm more of a high quality audio files fan anyhow so, I ended up switching to FLAC files loaded to my 256GB memory card on my Galaxy. Can't use FLAC on an Iphone nor can you use a memory card. The audio app I use (JetAudio) works great with Android Auto. I also like the Google Maps implementation although, I've been a fan of Waze for years. I can't wait until I can use Waze with Android Auto. That's the final piece of the puzzle to where I can call Android Auto amazing as opposed to pretty good.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Once they put Waze on android auto that will be the best feature for the radio/nav period
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
MPScan

Drives: 2017 FIFTY VERT MANUAL 2SS
I'm a life long Apple/iOS guy (after Blackberry) but use Waze so much that if they actually do an Android Auto implementation and it is done well, I would consider activating an Android device on my plan just to get it on the MyLink nav...

For me the killer app part is the police notifications on Waze. I drive Boston to New York and back dozens of times a year and between a radar detector and Waze, both allow me to easily go 80-100 mph through Connecticut without a care in the world.
MPScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #13
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
We're still waiting for 3 companies to launch their AA-compatible weather updates for over a year (WeatherChannel, Accuweather & WeatherUnderground). I would like to see a lot more apps have AA added to them for the convenience of looking up items when you're stopped, since your phone is worthless while plugged into it.

I'm thinking it may be better off to have a secondary device just for AA in the car and leave it always connected. Would be nice to find a way to do remote control over CAN like they do on Mazda's. Then we could put an USB-to-CAN connector on the phone and send it remote unlock/start commands. And finally goodbye to OnStar/SpyStar.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:46 AM   #14
dreamst8
WrkrBee

Drives: 16 Hyper & 11 Victory
NSEVOICE

CARS Waze Android Auto: Integrating Next Week By Staff Reporter

January 3, 2017

It is quite surprising to see Android Auto getting released but without one core application on-board. As how it was spoiled in the title above, the app is none other than Waze.

It is a huge shocker because Waze is the most relied-on navigating map apps in the entire world and it is supported by Google. The application’s failure to debut together with Android Auto is certainly worth raising an eyebrow for.

Well, the good news today is that Waze will soon get integrated on the phone-pairing system that is made for Android-powered phones and cars. The developers shared a Tweet today that Waze will finally be able to run on Android Auto before the end of this month.

The developers provided no explanation to why there is a delay to Waze but it won’t matter anyway as the users will finally get to use the application on Android Auto.

So it is late again, but this is the most recent...and the end of the month is only days away..

2011 2 LT/RS Victory Red V6 M6
dreamst8 is offline   Reply With Quote