Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
switched to android auto, any tips??

So after using iPhone since iPhone 3G, I have switched to the Android Platform. For those of you using Android Auto, any tricks or tips you've all learned along the way?

I really like it, but so far my biggest concern is that you are "locked" out of the phone entirely when plugged in. At least that is my perception and experience. I'd love to be able to use my apple music app while still plugged in, but it seems you can't.

What tricks/work arounds have you all learned?

Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
You would have to use a Android Auto music app like Google Music when connected to AA in order to lusten to music from that device.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Hold the mic button on the steering wheel as a voice command trigger in AA.
AA does NOT use the cars GPS antenna for Google Maps, keep your phone in the open.
Most of the cool apps that got AA all the hype still haven't shown up.
Until useful utility apps show up to replace the MyLink features lost while in AA, I've gone back to MyLink2.Ohcrap.
I preferred the last version of MyLink (another topic).
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Hold the mic button on the steering wheel as a voice command trigger in AA.
AA does NOT use the cars GPS antenna for Google Maps, keep your phone in the open.
Most of the cool apps that got AA all the hype still haven't shown up.
Until useful utility apps show up to replace the MyLink features lost while in AA, I've gone back to MyLink2.Ohcrap.
I preferred the last version of MyLink (another topic).
Yeah AA is kind of gimicky, I only use it for Google maps/Nav option.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I use a music app named jetAudio to play my lossless FLAC files. It works very well with AA except for the fact you can only browse a small selection while driving. (they nanny you so you stay paying attention to driving).

Google maps works great and Waze support is coming very soon.

I'm very happy with my switch from Apple to Android
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Hey everybody...I use AA every time I drive my car. I opted not to buy the GM nav becuse I didn't relish the thought of bringing it in to the dealer for Nav system updates (they don't do OTA updates). I really enjoy the features of AA. First thing I do when I get into the car is plug in my LG V20 phone with the cable I already have pre-plugged in to one of the two the center console USB ports. Then it's like magic...AA just takes over my screen

Here's what I like about AA (on my 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS):

1. The overview screen "remembers" my most recent calls and drives, so I can just touch one of those to go "Home" or to "Work" (no fussing with menus unless I'm going somewhere/doing something different than usual).

2. I have "Ok Google" enabled on my phone, so nearly everything I do is by voice (but I can also long-press the call button on my steering wheel to tell AA what I want). Texting completely hands-free is amazing! Here's how it goes for me..."Ok, Google" (AA/Google chirp prompt sounds and music/radio pauses). Text Cindy. I'm on my way home" (AA/Google chirp prompt sounds again). Then a voice says, "Here's your message to Cindy...I'm on my way home...do you want to send it or change it?" Then I say, "Send it!" Then the voice says, "Ok (brief pause)...message sent." Then whatever I had playing for music/radio resumes. Easy-peasy!

3. For music, the first touch of the headphone icon will bring up your last-used music app. The second touch of the same icon will show all of your available music apps (of the compatible music apps installed on your phone). In my case, this means, Pandora, iHeart Radio, Google Music, and Amazon Music. I tend to use Pandora, iHeart Radio, or Google Music, but I've tried all of them, and they all work fine.

4. The phone icon is the one I use the least (because I do almost all calls by voice), but there are some nice features there too. One touch of the phone icon brings up your contacts. For me, this is helpful for one contact that OK Google can't seem to recognize properly when I speak it. I just touch to select that contact and the call goes through! Beyond that, I really enjoy just telling my car to "Call Cindy mobile" and it does the rest. Music/radio stops, call starts and goes through, I have my conversation, hang up with the call end button on steering wheel, and my music/radio just resumes. Perfect!

5. Waze is "on the way!" Soon, we'll be able to switch between navigation apps Google Maps and Waze, just as I described above with the various music apps. Right now, I'm using Google Maps on the 8" screen and it works great. But I prefer Waze's routing, so I'm really looking forward to that.

6. Oh, by the way, make sure you check the detailed Bluetooth settings for your Chevrolet MyLink connection to make sure Call Audio and Message Audio are enabled. And here's ONE REALLY IMPORTANT POINT: If you want to multi-task with AA (meaning run Google maps, for example, AND Pandora at the same time AND have it all work smoothly, your phone must be capable. I struggled for months with an under-powered phone (LG Tribute 5--awful phone!). I would start both Maps and Pandora and everything would be fine for a few minutes. Then Pandora would just quit! I blamed AA for a long time, until I watched some demos on YouTube and noticed how much faster everything seemed to work for others. So, I upgraded to a flagship phone and the difference is night and day. It's like my phone isn't even trying and everything is snappy and responsive!

Bottom line: For me, AA is the only way to go. The charging cable I use has magnetic, interchangeable tips (USB-C and Lightning tips), so I CAN use my work iPhone 6 plus for Apple Car Play without digging into the center console to switch to a lightning cable, but I never do that anymore (I tried it once...it works...but, ugh, what an ugly interface!). It's AA for me, all the way, all the time.

Hope this info was helpful.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
wjmeyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS, 2LT
Wow, great post PnCRedJwl2SS, I just added OK Google to my S5.
Hopefully the louder RunFlat tires won't interfere with my talking to OK Google while I'm driving.
wjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
dreamst8
WrkrBee

Drives: 16 Hyper & 11 Victory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldgin2 View Post
So after using iPhone since iPhone 3G, I have switched to the Android Platform. For those of you using Android Auto, any tricks or tips you've all learned along the way?

I really like it, but so far my biggest concern is that you are "locked" out of the phone entirely when plugged in. At least that is my perception and experience. I'd love to be able to use my apple music app while still plugged in, but it seems you can't.

What tricks/work arounds have you all learned?

Thanks!!
Not sure what phone you have, but on my Galaxy (old) S5 & (new) S7 models, press the lower left "Tasking" button, this brings up other programs that were open at one time recently, scroll thru those to see WAZE or the app you want to run if it is open and just click on it, if not, click on most any app, then just back out of it and your home screen should be visible, along with whatever app your looking for ..just operate as normal then. It will go dark in a few seconds if you look away or wait too long, just open and swipe. I don't use passwords etc to lock my phone because of some of these functions..but I drive almost all day, so I am on it constantly..

NOW, with that said, WAZE will remain a live screen using AA, meaning it won't go black, other apps may do so, inhibiting some function, if not altogether silencing the app. OR, if you are plugging in and no tasking apps are avail, you will need to disconnect, click on WAZE, let it boot, then plug back in, once the AA screen locks you down, task window it and select WAZE, up and running again..

Golly I hope this makes sense...

2011 2 LT/RS Victory Red V6 M6
dreamst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
Cldgin2

Great write up!! Thank you... I also have the LG V20... How do you turn on ok google? Still learning this OS... this tips for checking detailed my link settings especially great! Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Hey everybody...I use AA every time I drive my car. I opted not to buy the GM nav becuse I didn't relish the thought of bringing it in to the dealer for Nav system updates (they don't do OTA updates). I really enjoy the features of AA. First thing I do when I get into the car is plug in my LG V20 phone with the cable I already have pre-plugged in to one of the two the center console USB ports. Then it's like magic...AA just takes over my screen

Here's what I like about AA (on my 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS):

1. The overview screen "remembers" my most recent calls and drives, so I can just touch one of those to go "Home" or to "Work" (no fussing with menus unless I'm going somewhere/doing something different than usual).

2. I have "Ok Google" enabled on my phone, so nearly everything I do is by voice (but I can also long-press the call button on my steering wheel to tell AA what I want). Texting completely hands-free is amazing! Here's how it goes for me..."Ok, Google" (AA/Google chirp prompt sounds and music/radio pauses). Text Cindy. I'm on my way home" (AA/Google chirp prompt sounds again). Then a voice says, "Here's your message to Cindy...I'm on my way home...do you want to send it or change it?" Then I say, "Send it!" Then the voice says, "Ok (brief pause)...message sent." Then whatever I had playing for music/radio resumes. Easy-peasy!

3. For music, the first touch of the headphone icon will bring up your last-used music app. The second touch of the same icon will show all of your available music apps (of the compatible music apps installed on your phone). In my case, this means, Pandora, iHeart Radio, Google Music, and Amazon Music. I tend to use Pandora, iHeart Radio, or Google Music, but I've tried all of them, and they all work fine.

4. The phone icon is the one I use the least (because I do almost all calls by voice), but there are some nice features there too. One touch of the phone icon brings up your contacts. For me, this is helpful for one contact that OK Google can't seem to recognize properly when I speak it. I just touch to select that contact and the call goes through! Beyond that, I really enjoy just telling my car to "Call Cindy mobile" and it does the rest. Music/radio stops, call starts and goes through, I have my conversation, hang up with the call end button on steering wheel, and my music/radio just resumes. Perfect!

5. Waze is "on the way!" Soon, we'll be able to switch between navigation apps Google Maps and Waze, just as I described above with the various music apps. Right now, I'm using Google Maps on the 8" screen and it works great. But I prefer Waze's routing, so I'm really looking forward to that.

6. Oh, by the way, make sure you check the detailed Bluetooth settings for your Chevrolet MyLink connection to make sure Call Audio and Message Audio are enabled. And here's ONE REALLY IMPORTANT POINT: If you want to multi-task with AA (meaning run Google maps, for example, AND Pandora at the same time AND have it all work smoothly, your phone must be capable. I struggled for months with an under-powered phone (LG Tribute 5--awful phone!). I would start both Maps and Pandora and everything would be fine for a few minutes. Then Pandora would just quit! I blamed AA for a long time, until I watched some demos on YouTube and noticed how much faster everything seemed to work for others. So, I upgraded to a flagship phone and the difference is night and day. It's like my phone isn't even trying and everything is snappy and responsive!

Bottom line: For me, AA is the only way to go. The charging cable I use has magnetic, interchangeable tips (USB-C and Lightning tips), so I CAN use my work iPhone 6 plus for Apple Car Play without digging into the center console to switch to a lightning cable, but I never do that anymore (I tried it once...it works...but, ugh, what an ugly interface!). It's AA for me, all the way, all the time.

Hope this info was helpful.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #10
Cldgin2

Using the LG V20.. thanks for that tip... did not think to preload the app I wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamst8 View Post
Not sure what phone you have, but on my Galaxy (old) S5 & (new) S7 models, press the lower left "Tasking" button, this brings up other programs that were open at one time recently, scroll thru those to see WAZE or the app you want to run if it is open and just click on it, if not, click on most any app, then just back out of it and your home screen should be visible, along with whatever app your looking for ..just operate as normal then. It will go dark in a few seconds if you look away or wait too long, just open and swipe. I don't use passwords etc to lock my phone because of some of these functions..but I drive almost all day, so I am on it constantly..

NOW, with that said, WAZE will remain a live screen using AA, meaning it won't go black, other apps may do so, inhibiting some function, if not altogether silencing the app. OR, if you are plugging in and no tasking apps are avail, you will need to disconnect, click on WAZE, let it boot, then plug back in, once the AA screen locks you down, task window it and select WAZE, up and running again..

Golly I hope this makes sense...
Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #11
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldgin2 View Post
Great write up!! Thank you... I also have the LG V20... How do you turn on ok google? Still learning this OS... this tips for checking detailed my link settings especially great! Thanks again
Go to your apps, locate the Google group of apps and select the Google app with the big "G" icon. Once open, click on the hamburger icon at top-left, then Settings, then Voice, then "Ok Google" detection. Set as desired...mine is set to Always On.

Hope this helps....

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
If you are running Google Maps or Waze on AA on the screen can you still listen to the Sirius radio?
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
If you are running Google Maps or Waze on AA on the screen can you still listen to the Sirius radio?
Yep, or at least I use Google Maps and my USB stick all the time. XM should work the same.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #14
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Yes you can.