Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
OMP HTE-R race seats, Safecraft Harness, Tank Plates, RPM Roll Bar installation

Installation photos of OMP HTE-R (regular width) race seats, Safecraft harness, Tank Plates and a RPM 6 point chromoly roll bar with SCCA cross bar.

1.The race seats are welded onto factory seats sliders that were salvaged from a junk yard Camaro. Why seat sliders? Because I want the option of putting the factory seats back in with quick turnaround and wanted to limit the amount of cutting and drilling on the car. I also am not the only person to drive the car so this flexibility is needed.
2. Welded a connection point onto the tank plates to receive the factory seat belt receiver from the Recaro seats so the factory seat belts are still useable when needed / if desired.
3. A replacement passenger seat occupant sensor was sandwiched into essentially a custom made carpet pillow case lined with cut down yoga mats, top and bottom, and then placed under the passenger tank plate to create constant pressure. The passenger air bag is always on in this installation. I did not want to try to incorporate the occupant sensor into the race seat which would involve cutting the seat to route the ribbon wire loom and plug and compromise the integrity of the race seat.
4. The RPM cage, although very nice in quality, is not perfect to the 1/8” in fabrication which it needs to be because it is an extremely tight fit. The installation instructions could use some improvement. Custom shims were made to mate the cage floor mounting plates to the ever changing contours of the Camaro floor pan. The back of the cage is bolted in while the front plates were cut down on one side to move the mounting point to the outermost edge of the car and then welded in place. This was necessary to make the seat width work and provide ease of adjustment with the seat sliders. An additional plus with welding is that the front plates don’t bolt mount through to the underside of the car with what is essentially a sandwich panel up front, risking crushing of the panel as bolts are tightened.
5. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread as it made life much easier in accomplishing this install. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434170
Attached Images

Last edited by AustexaSS; 12-13-2018 at 04:30 PM.
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Nice work!
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Shoupaloop

Drives: 2015 Z28
I threw my back out just looking at the pics.
Shoupaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Do the seat rails still work? Meaning can you slide the seat back and fourth? This is the best aftermarket setup i have seen so far that I like.

*Edit...never-mind, I finished reading.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
AustexaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
Do the seat rails still work? Meaning can you slide the seat back and fourth? This is the best aftermarket setup i have seen so far that I like.

*Edit...never-mind, I finished reading.
Seats have the full range of motion forward and backward, until the seats contact the RPM cage side bar connection point as this is where the cage starts to taper into the main hoop. If you got the RPM 4 point cage additional range towards the back of the car is possible. The OMP race seats are positioned onto the factory sliders in the same approximate location as the factory Recaro seat. The first photo shows the drivers seat in its furthest back position. I am 6’-2” and fit very comfortably in this set up. Here is a photo of the underside of the drivers seat.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 PM   #6
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustexaSS View Post
Installation photos of OMP HTE-R (regular widith) race seats, Safecraft harness, Tank Plates and a RPM 6 point chromoly roll bar with SCCA cross bar.

1.The race seats are welded onto factory seats sliders that were salvaged from the junk yard Camaro. Why seat sliders? Because I want the option of putting the factory seats back in with quick turnaround and wanted to limit the amount of cutting and drilling on the car. I also am not the only person to drive the car so this flexibility is needed.
2. Welded a connection point onto the tank plates to receive the factory seat belt receiver from the Recaro seats so the factory seat belts are still useable when needed / if desired.
3. A replacement passenger seat occupant sensor was sandwiched into essentially a custom made carpet pillow case lined with cut down yoga mats, top and bottom, and then placed under the passenger tank plate to create constant pressure. The passenger air bag is always on in this installation. I did not want to try to incorporate the occupant sensor into the race seat which would involve cutting the seat to route the ribbon wire loom and plug and compromise the integrity of the race seat.
4. The RPM cage, although very nice in quality, is not perfect to the 1/8” in fabrication which it needs to be because it is an extremely tight fit. The installation instructions could use some improvement. Custom shims were made to mate the cage floor mounting plates to the ever changing contours of the Camaro floor pan. The back of the cage is bolted in while the front plates were cut down on one side to move the mounting point to the outermost edge of the car and then welded in place. This was necessary to make the seat width work and provide ease of adjustment with the seat sliders. An additional plus with welding is that the front plates don’t bolt mount through to the underside of the car with what is essentially a sandwich panel up front, risking crushing of the panel as bolts are tightened.
5. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread as it made life much easier in accomplishing this install. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434170
Thank you for this thread. Gives me some ideas. Did you use a local shop to help with this?
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Thanks, I am still trying to decide if I want a cage and seats. This pushes me a little closer to doing it. I think I will hold out another year as my daughter is 15 and every once in a great while I take the family somewhere in the Z28
Old 12-13-2018, 02:46 AM   #8
GODZL1A

Drives: 2015 ZL1
How do the recaro seats fit with the roll cadge?

Last edited by GODZL1A; 12-13-2018 at 03:05 AM.
GODZL1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
AustexaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
Thank you for this thread. Gives me some ideas. Did you use a local shop to help with this?
Yes, Winding Road Racing in Austin installed the cage and race seats. This is not a single person job and custom fabrication work occurred. They were excellent to work with especially on implementation of specific details needed for a successful install.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
AustexaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODZL1A View Post
How do the recaro seats fit with the roll cadge?
I have not reinstalled the Recaro seats due to future track events. I expect there to be zero issues. The race seats take up more realestate in total area because of the side bolsters and head protection. You can see many factory Camaro seats with the RPM roll cage installed on their web site and on this forum. The Recaro seats overall dimensions are not that different than an SS, RS etc.

Last edited by AustexaSS; 12-14-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
bkevind

Quote:
Yes, Winding Road Racing in Austin installed the cage and race seats. This is not a single person job and custom fabrication work occurred. They were excellent to work with especially on implementation of specific details needed for a successful install.
Thanks! i like the idea of welding on factory sliders, assuming they feel solid. But I am wondering if the height dropped at all? It's really close with my stock (crappy!) power seats. I have to lean back a little more than I'd like for helmet clearance.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #12
AustexaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
Thanks! i like the idea of welding on factory sliders, assuming they feel solid. But I am wondering if the height dropped at all? It's really close with my stock (crappy!) power seats. I have to lean back a little more than I'd like for helmet clearance.
Factory sliders are built very well, better than any aftermarket slider I was able to look at in person. The set up is very sturdy. Headroom clearance was gained plus you can swap out or remove race seat padding to gain even more head room. The whole point of this install is to be safer while on track to which the race harness when cinched down tight will keep you planted firmly in the seat preventing helmet contact with the roof of the car.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
bkevind

Quote:
Factory sliders are built very well, better than any aftermarket slider I was able to look at in person. The set up is very sturdy. Headroom clearance was gained plus you can swap out or remove race seat padding to gain even more head room. The whole point of this install is to be safer while on track to which the race harness when cinched down tight will keep you planted firmly in the seat preventing helmet contact with the roof of the car.
Awesome, thank you for the detail. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll have a chat with Winding Road to drum up something similar.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #14
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
Are the sliders manual? I didn't know Camaros came with manual sliders.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote