Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-18-2022, 10:05 PM   #1
ssonic2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro ss
Boston or Bose

I've had the Bose system in a couple of Corvette's. They have the good and the bad. Such as each speaker has it's on amp. If i remember the Bose system you can't just change out the speakers if you wanted too.

What about the Boston is it just a cheaper version of the Bose. I'm past trying to bust out the back window. Any ideas on the Boston unit, pros and cons.... Thanks...
ssonic2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:44 PM   #2
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
I'd like to hear some feed back on this as well. Unimpressed w/the Boston. We had a 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII and the Bose was the best car stereo I've ever heard, especially considering it was factory equipment. Granted the Lincoln was whisper quite rolling down the road and of course the Camaro is loud as hell even w/factory exhaust. Still, the sound quality is clearly different even sitting in car w/engine off.

Any CD sounded great in the Lincoln and it would crank w/no distortion and the bass was fabulous. What I've noticed w/the Camaro is radio is meh, store bought CD's not much better, however, home made CD's crank big time! I keep a few home made CD's of some of my favorite stuff so I can get the sound I want when I really want quality.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:18 AM   #3
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
After 260,000 miles living with the Boston Acoustics system, I'm still not very happy with it. I replaced the door speakers with some Kickers years ago. Small improvement there. I subsequently replaced the rear speakers with Kickers but because the originals had separate bass and treble inputs, I had to splice the wires. I cut the leads going to the treble on the speakers and connected the proper wires from the car feed to them. Sounds a little better than the stock Boston Acoustics. My 1997 Grand Cherokee is what I drive when I want quality sound. I installed a full aftermarket system in that vehicle.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:28 AM   #4
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Boston is terrible. I replaced all my speakers and amp not long after I got the car. I’ve had vehicles with Bose in them and they are tremendously better. We currently have a suv with the Meridian that makes the Bose not sound as good.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, SLP loudmouth exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Out of the various cars I've had in recent years, the Boston system was the least impressive. I first changed out the front speakers and it made a little but not huge difference. The best upgrade I did was to add a power subwoofer which was a nice improvement. Last year I replaced the Boston amp with a Rockford Fosgate unit and again, it was better but I haven't been able to fine tune it with my aftermarket radio.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:40 PM   #6
ssonic2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro ss
I have never understood why these manufacturers will build these 35,000 to 75,000 sports cars and put these trash units in them. It must be the bean counters or Boston low bids everyone and we all get what we paid for. Most people would check the box for a damn good system in their cars. Why else spend all that money...
ssonic2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:07 PM   #7
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
Both are trash in my opinion. I’ve never heard a good factory sound system. My Duramax had a bose system which was extremely underpowered and the Boston acoustics system in the Camaro is just plain bad. Best route is to just to buy the least expensive stereo system from the factory and upgrade it yourself. The fancy factory systems usually complicate the system and make it harder to upgrade so the cheaper ones are better when planning to upgrade. Case and point, the Boston acoustics system with the DVC rear speakers and center speaker.
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #8
whoanelli

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Of course there are "better" speakers than stock, be it Boston or Bose. I found that the head unit makes all the difference. Being able to customize the sound be it through equalization, loudness, addition of a sub, etc. truly is the way to go. I have a Kenwood DNR876 and there's literally a half a dozen ways to manipulate the sound of my stock Bostons.....
whoanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #9
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
They are both terrible ! Replace if you want good sound
I was a high end installer for 18 years
Never heard a good factory sounding Bose or Boston Acoustics system!!
Boston did make great Pro series separates back in the day but that’s long time ago
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:59 PM   #10
2010BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I concur with all that have said the Boston Acoustics is sub-par. When I bought my car used, the door speakers were blown. I replaced them with brand new OEM (Boston Acoustics) speakers because they were cheap. While they don't rattle anymore, they still sound like crap. You get what you pay for.

If you want good sound, aftermarket is the only way to go.
2010BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
Just bought my wife a 2016 Traverse with the Bose. The stereo sounds way better than my Camaro's ever did.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote