Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Drives: The Black Knight
Delay on parts?

I had posted a couple of weeks ago about a shutter problem I was having with my 2012 Camaro. It was diagnosed as a torque converter issue and my dealer said they ordered the replacement part on March 22nd.
Yesterday, I went by the dealership and asked about the progress of this order. They said that the part was still on backorder !? I had a Honda for 10 years and whenever I had to have a replacement part it was overnighted and was in the next day.

To make it short, I called corporate and inquired on this and stated that I felt this was unacceptable especially for an American made car.

Am I impatient or am I right to be feeling this way?

[COLOR=seagreen]Mods Installed:
Backup sensors
American Racing Rogue Wheels
AAC LED Interior Light Kit

Ordered:
BlingLights Fog Light Kit
AAC Footwell Ambient Lighting Kit
Complete Lamp Protection Kit
(Smoked Finish)
PitchBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Parts suppliers make them, GM stocks them. For various reasons, GM no longer stocks zillions of parts in the warehouses any more. So they rely on vendors to produce and ship closer to the time of need. If there's a supply issue, then GM is at the part manufacture's mercy, thus so are you. Not saying that's the problem, but various issues (such as a redesigned part to fix the very problem you have with the original) could cause delays.

Yes, you're being a bit impatient IMO, but regardless, you're not getting the part until they do. I'm sure they've got a parts rush on it, but until it arrives, everyone must wait. Sorry. I can empathize with you because not having your car sucks.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Ok, I received a follow up call from Chevy yesterday. They said they have placed my situation on an expedited status. I asked about the torque converter and all they could tell me was that it "may" be here next week sometime. The part was ordered on March 22nd.

This is the first GM product that I have owned in many years. I wanted to go back to them to see if they had improved in their vehicles and service. If this is the kind of service that I can expect when something goes wrong with my Camaro, I have to be honest and say that I am seriously thinking of trading and going back to the tried and true imports, or at least a non-GM product.

Backup sensors

Ordered:
(Smoked Finish)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I agree....it should never take that long. I'm sure there are converters out there. It should b shipped overnight via the closest location.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I agree....it should never take that long. I'm sure there are converters out there. It should b shipped overnight via the closest location.
I agree my friend. I had my Honda for ten (10) years and when something went wrong, which was very rare, they would overnight the part and they would be working on it the next day.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I am losing faith in GM fast.

Backup sensors

Ordered:
(Smoked Finish)
Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Honda does not have to deal with our FEDERAL government who took a lot of interest in making GM streamlined....bye, bye Pontiac, etc. Bean counters are interested in numbers not customer service. Too bad.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
DO what I did demand that a available aftermarket part be used. When the infamous GTO strut issue was happening they were on a 3-6 month back order from GM.

I stated I wasnt going to wait that long. Either they use an aftermarket product under full GM warranty or they can have the car back (GTO was only a week old). I got pedders to call my dealer and had struts the next day.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsls3 View Post
DO what I did demand that a available aftermarket part be used. When the infamous GTO strut issue was happening they were on a 3-6 month back order from GM.

I stated I wasnt going to wait that long. Either they use an aftermarket product under full GM warranty or they can have the car back (GTO was only a week old). I got pedders to call my dealer and had struts the next day.
Hmm, may be an option I will look in to. Thanks.

Backup sensors

Ordered:
(Smoked Finish)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
BrooklynBoy

Drives: Victory Red LS
My wife's 2012 Red 2LS needed a new torque converter at 5,600 miles... Took about a week to get the converter and 4 days to install it... The dealership was great about suppling a free rental car, but I really think Chevy should look into the transmission problem deeper... After all with the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, it maybe to their advantage to replace them before they break...
BrooklynBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
You are not alone. Every single time I've needed a replacement part, the story was always, "That part is on back order...".

They can do something called a SPAT order where they search dealer parts inventories for your item. Sometimes this works, other times it doesn't.

I absolutely agree with you on this. Parts for this car should be an overnight shipment away. I cannot believe that a car that is still in full production is experiencing parts shortages.

Best of luck man.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Torque converters are shipped from the vendor. They are not stocked in the depot's.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
that's just ridiculous. If you've waited since March 22nd, I would've of told them to give me free oil changes for life. Waiting 4 months for a part is just not fair to the customer

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBoy View Post
My wife's 2012 Red 2LS needed a new torque converter at 5,600 miles... Took about a week to get the converter and 4 days to install it... The dealership was great about suppling a free rental car, but I really think Chevy should look into the transmission problem deeper... After all with the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, it maybe to their advantage to replace them before they break...
Are you currently having an issue currently with your torque converter? Please let me know if you have any questions at your convenience!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
steveww
RUSH TWO

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had to wait on a winsheild for couple of months

Window tint, Clear bra, 1 7/8 Headers with Hi-flow cats, ADM Performance-CAI, Slotted/Drilled Rotors with Ceramic carbon fiber pads. Painted Calipers, Drag wheels, Outlaw Catback Quad tips, CFD Shifter with Leather boot upgrade, LSA Supercharger, AEM AFR Gauge
steveww is offline   Reply With Quote