Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Chantro5

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1998 z28 Camaro Build

Hi guys, I recently became the owner of a 98 z28 and I'm trying to turn it into a street beast that still can be a daily driver, but that I can also take to the track to show off when I want. Trying to more or less be like a hellcat with the reliability and power in one package, but better. This will be sort of a budget build, but I will put more money in where it is needed. I'm looking to get around 7-800 or more to the crank, while still being able to be streetable and can be a DD. MPGs for me is not a big deal, I can get around 12-15 and be happy with it. I torn between what engine to build, I've been told that a modern LS motor will literally bolt in and work so I'm thinking of going that route. I'm planning right now to go fully forged 5.3 and supercharge it. Will this be a reliable build to get to my goal? I'm pretty new to the LS scene and just trying to get 7-800 or more to the crank, but it also not be too much on the pocket. Also looking for a nice automatic trans that can handle the power and still give snappy, firm shifts. I know this kind of horsepower will cost money and I'm willing to spend that, but not trying to overspend on unnecessary stuff that I could have went without. Also its a shell and already has a cage installed, which I'm actually pleased with because I get to fully build it around the cage. I'm looking to do nice interior nothing too fancy, racing bucket seats that are still comfortable to sit in and be in for a while. Also looking to do a nice dash in the car whether that be aftermarket or stock. I'm looking for some nice interior,Any help, words of wisdom, guidance, builds, knowledge is welcome. Thank you guys in advance.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
I don't care for iron blocks but thats me. Yes any of the LS's will basically bolt in.
Super charger or turbo will get you to those powers. Its not hard at all on that car just takes money.

Is the 98 still the LT1. I know a 99 is the LS1. If it all ready has the LS1 your good to go.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Chantro5

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
I don't care for iron blocks but thats me. Yes any of the LS's will basically bolt in.
Super charger or turbo will get you to those powers. Its not hard at all on that car just takes money.

Is the 98 still the LT1. I know a 99 is the LS1. If it all ready has the LS1 your good to go.
It's a shell so the car doesn't have a trans or motor, I just more or less bought everything, but those two. That's why I'm going with the easiest layout to put in the car. I'm looking more along the lines of a supercharger just because I will daily drive some, but not much. Maybe 1 day or two every week or every two weeks. I know some about them, but not much. I just don't think turbo setup will be very efficient as far as mpg and daily driving. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantro5 View Post
Hi guys, I recently became the owner of a 98 z28 and I'm trying to turn it into a street beast that still can be a daily driver, but that I can also take to the track to show off when I want. Trying to more or less be like a hellcat with the reliability and power in one package, but better. This will be sort of a budget build, but I will put more money in where it is needed. I'm looking to get around 7-800 or more to the crank, while still being able to be streetable and can be a DD. MPGs for me is not a big deal, I can get around 12-15 and be happy with it. I torn between what engine to build, I've been told that a modern LS motor will literally bolt in and work so I'm thinking of going that route. I'm planning right now to go fully forged 5.3 and supercharge it. Will this be a reliable build to get to my goal? I'm pretty new to the LS scene and just trying to get 7-800 or more to the crank, but it also not be too much on the pocket. Also looking for a nice automatic trans that can handle the power and still give snappy, firm shifts. I know this kind of horsepower will cost money and I'm willing to spend that, but not trying to overspend on unnecessary stuff that I could have went without. Also its a shell and already has a cage installed, which I'm actually pleased with because I get to fully build it around the cage. I'm looking to do nice interior nothing too fancy, racing bucket seats that are still comfortable to sit in and be in for a while. Also looking to do a nice dash in the car whether that be aftermarket or stock. I'm looking for some nice interior,Any help, words of wisdom, guidance, builds, knowledge is welcome. Thank you guys in advance.
You’ll find more helpful info on LS1Tech.com for your car than here.

That being said, a 5.3 iron block is a good choice for F/I as it’s stronger than aluminum. If you find a 6.0 LQ block go with that instead, the extra cubes will help you get to your goal easier. An automatic to handle the power you want to make and be steeetable isn’t cheap at all. My suggestion would be get a t-56 case for a 98-02 fbody and build it to handle the torque you are hoping to make. You’ll need either a 9” or 12 bolt rear end to handle that much power. As far as custom dash, I have no idea on that because the I know who race these cars still have the factory dash, they just remove the HVAC controls, radio and anything that is extra weight. I’ll take a guess if it is a basic shell you’ll spend at least 20k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post

Why don’t you care for the iron blocks? The weight difference is 108lbs for the bare block but the strength makes up for it compared to an Aluminum block. F-bodies had the LS1 from 98-02, Corvettes had it from 97-04. He doesn’t have the LS1 from my understanding.
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote