Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #57
scottzl1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle96ss View Post
Ask him if he still needs a vert and what kind of deal he will give me? To make a long story short, I live about 30 minutes from their shop. I have been looking for a loud catback and one of the local shops(who is also a sponsor here) had mentioned the Billy Boat and supposedly spoke with them and they were willing to bring my vert in and fit their ZL1 system to my ZL1 vert so they could make their ZL1 vert system(as they hadn't had one in the shop as you mentioned). Anyway, for the past 6 weeks I have left a million e-mails, texts, phone messages, etc... and have yet to get a hold of the guy to finalize the details. A few weeks ago I finally just gave up; not sure why he is blowing me off. I thought about calling Billy Boat myself and just going direct through them and may do that now.

When you say it is too quiet; do you have any sound clips? Do you have the mild to wild hooked up as well? How much louder than stock is it? You are giving me cold feet as I am looking to get as loud as I can without headers.
Remember, I a coming from a HCI Z06 with headers and Corsa. so love loud.

My personal opinion is that the billy boat and stock are basically even in volume (stock is louder slightly with valves open). I laughed when I cranked it up post bb install thinking my m2w wasn't working because it was no louder than stock. I was wrong...they are even. The billy boat is a more refined, bolder and deeper tone...probably perfect after headers. Which is where I will probably end up.

I dont have any sound clips...just installed today.

Hope this helps...I was a bit disappointed. But will probably be very satisfied when headers are mated with the bb exhaust.

Scott
Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #58
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzl1 View Post
Remember, I a coming from a HCI Z06 with headers and Corsa. so love loud.

My personal opinion is that the billy boat and stock are basically even in volume (stock is louder slightly with valves open). I laughed when I cranked it up post bb install thinking my m2w wasn't working because it was no louder than stock. I was wrong...they are even. The billy boat is a more refined, bolder and deeper tone...probably perfect after headers. Which is where I will probably end up.

I dont have any sound clips...just installed today.

Hope this helps...I was a bit disappointed. But will probably be very satisfied when headers are mated with the bb exhaust.

Scott
I can relate as I am coming from a highly modified 2002 SS 35th LE vert with GMMG chambered exhaust and American Racing headers. My wife(and the whole neighborhood) hear me coming about a mile away. When I came home with my ZL1 my wife and kids were laughing because of how quiet it was and they didn't even hear me come into the garage. I know that the ZL1 isn't going to sound anywhere near that without headers, but was hoping that we could at least bump it up a notch or two. I know when I originally put the GMMG on the 02 without headers, it made a big difference over the stock sound. When first considering the Billy Boat I called them up and spoke with Mike and asked if they had any decibel comparisons of stock versus theirs(they have the data for some of their systems on their website but not the ZL1 system). He stated that they hadn't done that yet but that there was a noticeable difference in loudness from the open side of the muffler. He said the quiet side was about the same as stock.
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #59
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
I can relate as I am coming from a highly modified 2002 SS 35th LE vert with GMMG chambered exhaust and American Racing headers. My wife(and the whole neighborhood) hear me coming about a mile away. When I came home with my ZL1 my wife and kids were laughing because of how quiet it was and they didn't even hear me come into the garage. I know that the ZL1 isn't going to sound anywhere near that without headers, but was hoping that we could at least bump it up a notch or two. I know when I originally put the GMMG on the 02 without headers, it made a big difference over the stock sound. When first considering the Billy Boat I called them up and spoke with Mike and asked if they had any decibel comparisons of stock versus theirs(they have the data for some of their systems on their website but not the ZL1 system). He stated that they hadn't done that yet but that there was a noticeable difference in loudness from the open side of the muffler. He said the quiet side was about the same as stock.
BB is not going to be as loud as corsa or CMMG. The ZL1's midepipe calms sound down alot. you could just do that without longtubes and get quite a bit more volume.

that is what I am going to try the JBA midepipe I think. I have a friend with BB on his Z06 and knew it was not going to be worth the Cash when I heard my stock ZL1 right away.

we had them side by side.

headers on the stock exhaust will sound way better than stock with B&B. so spend that money on midepipe or headrs first IMO. then if the tone of the B&B is what your after add it then.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #60
muscle96ss

Just got off the phone with Mike at Billy Boat. They are gonna do my vert in the next couple of weeks. Might not be until after the holidays because they are closed the next 2 monday and tuesdays for christmas and then new years; so probably right after that. We aren't going to do the dual mode; gonna do just the single straight through(don't need it toned down). Will let everyione know how it goes. Thanks Scott for your help.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #61
muscle96ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
BB is not going to be as loud as corsa or CMMG. The ZL1's midepipe calms sound down alot. you could just do that without longtubes and get quite a bit more volume.

that is what I am going to try the JBA midepipe I think. I have a friend with BB on his Z06 and knew it was not going to be worth the Cash when I heard my stock ZL1 right away.

we had them side by side.

headers on the stock exhaust will sound way better than stock with B&B. so spend that money on midepipe or headrs first IMO. then if the tone of the B&B is what your after add it then.
Eventually I am gonna go with headers but not ready to go there yet. Too afraid that something will happen down the road(i.e. supercharger go out) and they will try to get out of the warranty because of the headers. I amcurious how the JBA's will sound. Please let us know when you have it done.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #62
scottzl1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Just got off the phone with Mike at Billy Boat. They are gonna do my vert in the next couple of weeks. Might not be until after the holidays because they are closed the next 2 monday and tuesdays for christmas and then new years; so probably right after that. We aren't going to do the dual mode; gonna do just the single straight through(don't need it toned down). Will let everyione know how it goes. Thanks Scott for your help.

You are welcome! Glad I could help out!!!!

Scott
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #63
muscle96ss

Just dropped my car off with Billy this afternoon. Should have it back towards the end of next week. I took a short "before" sound clip last night and will make an "after" clip to compare and post.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #64
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Just dropped my car off with Billy this afternoon. Should have it back towards the end of next week. I took a short "before" sound clip last night and will make an "after" clip to compare and post.
She back yet?

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #65
muscle96ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
She back yet?
Just got home a couple of hours ago and just finished making the "after" video. Will try to get it posted tonight; I am very technologically challenged so may need some help. I am having difficulty telling how it sounds since the past week I have been driving my 02 SS that is LOOUUUDDDD. So it sounds quiet, but I think it is louder than before and a little deeper; at least thats what the wife and kids tell me. We are also going to be switching the mufflers in the next week or so as there was a breakdown in communication and they put the dual-mode mufflers on and it was supposed to be the single straight through muffler; which will make it louder(Billy's dad passed away monday morning so thats why things took a little longer and hence the confusion). Overall I am extremely pleased with the quality; their facility is amazing and they definitely know what they are doing in making these systems.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #66
muscle96ss

It keeps saying that a security token is missing when trying to upload. It is saved as a .mov on my phone and on my computer. How do I upload this?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #67
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Quote:
It keeps saying that a security token is missing when trying to upload. It is saved as a .mov on my phone and on my computer. How do I upload this?
upload to youtube, then copy the URL and paste it to here.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #68
muscle96ss

I have never used youtube before and thought this may be difficult; but was actually pretty easy.

before

after
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #69
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

As with mine deeper rumbles, not louder, about the same in loudness with the two.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #70
muscle96ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
As with mine deeper rumbles, not louder, about the same in loudness with the two.
Yep, definitely depper, but can't really tell any difference in loudness. Also sounds a little cleaner or smoother. I will post up another clip once we switch the mufflers from the bi-modal to single-mode. He said that it should be louder even thoughcurrently the vacuum lines are pulled and fuse pulled and it is essentially in single mode.