Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #225
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
SRT8Tech,

Thank you for sharing the video. The GT500 sounds sweet. It appears to me that the Camaro ZL1 driver was hitting the wrong entry point at the apex and too early on the brakes? In other words squaring the corners off? That makes it easier to pass does it not? Was it the first time for either driver? As I stated earlier it's usually driver more than car especially at a track day event. I've done both cars and motorcycle track days and it is down to how far do you want to push yourself and the vehicle. Still fastest on my motorcycle hitting 170 at California Speedway in Fontana.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #226
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Nobody is saying the GT500 is better, relax. People are just saying it's not as bad as the ZL1 fans make it out to be.

No too many GT500 fans assume because you drive a ZL1 or give any hint that you like a ZL1 that MUST mean you hate a GT500. Relax, this is not the thread to defend the GT500. It's stands on its own pretty well.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #227
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
I guess I can post up the vid of the ZL1 getting beat on a road course by a GT500. Its not a mag time or anything, Just real world stuff.

Keeping that video in context, I believe Torq was there parts testing and was having issues with some new stuff.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #228
sonic656

Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
SRT8Tech,

Thank you for sharing the video. The GT500 sounds sweet. It appears to me that the Camaro ZL1 driver was hitting the wrong entry point at the apex and too early on the brakes? In other words squaring the corners off? That makes it easier to pass does it not? Was it the first time for either driver? As I stated earlier it's usually driver more than car especially at a track day event. I've done both cars and motorcycle track days and it is down to how far do you want to push yourself and the vehicle. Still fastest on my motorcycle hitting 170 at California Speedway in Fontana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Keeping that video in context, I believe Torq was there parts testing and was having issues with some new stuff.

Says its Torq's ZL1? I think he was having some heat issues even with his after market exchanger and other parts.

Either way I'd rather see some real world videos of both cars on the same track at the same time then some magazine claims. That goes for MT and all the other companies that have done a 1 lap race while they are the only ones on the track.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #229
Taser Deployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Exactly he was testing new parts for the car and even stated on here he wasn't pushing the car hard but people try to claim this as a win........
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #230
sonic656

Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Exactly he was testing new parts for the car and even stated on here he wasn't pushing the car hard but people try to claim this as a win........

He most definitely was pushing the car as hard as he could. It just got heat soaked very quickly. He never claimed he "wasn't pushing the car hard".

You win some you lose some. Kind of like the GT500 and ZL1 on the track. It comes down to driver confidence and experience. Both cars are kind of dumb to claim as road racing cars being that they will heat soak eventually.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #231
Taser Deployed

Quote:
Well when the ZL1 beats the GT500, it's the chassis, NOT the engine...

I don't understand the mentality of this forum anymore. The ZL1 is clearly the better car around the track, even when it's slower, it's still a better handler. Kinda like the Mustang GT vs. the 370Z. Yes, it's faster around the track than the Nissan, but it doesn't handle better. Ford has a certain formula that has been working for them, but they will have to change it very soon. People are starting to catch on.
The mentality is . You have to expect us to defend the Camaro no matter what. Go to SVTperf and its the same thing. If you can sit here and say Ford or Chevy haven't put out great performance vehicles in the Gt500 or ZL1 you're just stupid period.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #232
Taser Deployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic656 View Post
He most definitely was pushing the car as hard as he could. It just got heat soaked very quickly. He never claimed he "wasn't pushing the car hard".

You win some you lose some. Kind of like the GT500 and ZL1 on the track. It comes down to driver confidence and experience. Both cars are kind of dumb to claim as road racing cars being that they will heat soak eventually.
You're right. I was referring to them stating the car was beginning to run hot I believe and they were easing off. Either way I've seen this very misleading video posted a dozen times stating how superior the Gt500 was on the track.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #233
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee

Drives: 2013 Super Bee
He was having heat soak issues. But, just another example that I thought I could throw out there. I guess I can post this now since I cropped the funny part out. I almost got banned.
Attached Images

2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #234
Taser Deployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
He was having heat soak issues. But, just another example that I thought I could throw out there. I guess I can post this now since I cropped the funny part out. I almost got banned.
Lol
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #235
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
There's data from C & D to support the ZL1 and 1LE being superior to the GT500 in handling. The GT500 powers through with its incredible V8 to get it to the respectable time it posted. It's suspension and chassis let it down. The engine makes it competitive. Kinda like a football teams defense or offense can win the game for a not so well rounded team.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #236
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
There's data from C & D to support the ZL1 and 1LE being superior to the GT500 in handling. The GT500 powers through with its incredible V8 to get it to the respectable time it posted. It's suspension and chassis let it down. The engine makes it competitive. Kinda like a football teams defense or offense can win the game for a not so well rounded team.
I don't think anyone, not even the most loyal Ford fanboi can deny that the ZL1 and the 1LE handle better than the comparable Mustangs they are pitted against, even without the C&D data. It's fact that can not be disputed. The 370Z vs. 5.0 is the same argument. The 370Z handles better, and only posts slightly slower lap times even though it's down 100hp. The only reason why the 5.0 comes out on top is the horsepower advantage. The hp advangtage of the GT500 however is not enough to overcome the ZL1's larger contact patch, IRS, and MR3 all the time.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #237
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic656 View Post

To be fair though, Torque, while pushing the car as hard as they could, were more doing it for R&D than competition, it just happened that the GT500 was out there running at the same time.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #238
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
I don't think anyone, not even the most loyal Ford fanboi can deny that the ZL1 and the 1LE handle better than the comparable Mustangs they are pitted against, even without the C&D data. It's fact that can not be disputed. The 370Z vs. 5.0 is the same argument. The 370Z handles better, and only posts slightly slower lap times even though it's down 100hp. The only reason why the 5.0 comes out on top is the horsepower advantage. The hp advangtage of the GT500 however is not enough to overcome the ZL1's larger contact patch, IRS, and MR3 all the time.
Amen Brother!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote