Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #561
Bourgui

Drives: 1LT/RS, VR, GFX
Mine is closer to 7k than 6.8K, FWIW. I've only hit the rev limiter once going 2nd-3rd (I do lapping though, not drag).

Newbie question: our torque line seems to peek at around 6500 RPM, then start going down after that, so I've been trying to shift around 6500 rpm. Is this the right thing to do, or should I try to shift as late as possible?
Bourgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #562
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgui View Post
Mine is closer to 7k than 6.8K, FWIW. I've only hit the rev limiter once going 2nd-3rd (I do lapping though, not drag).

Newbie question: our torque line seems to peek at around 6500 RPM, then start going down after that, so I've been trying to shift around 6500 rpm. Is this the right thing to do, or should I try to shift as late as possible?
Shift as late as possible without hitting the Rev Limiter. The HP/TQ is still higher at 7000 RPM than it is at 4500-5000 RPM, where you will probably hit after a shift.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #563
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
I believe it is 7K.
Any v6's with a shift light?
Over in GTO land theres someone that can reprogram the speedo cluster to act as a shift light.. Ie some dash dummy light comes on at specified rpm (i think). Maybe thatd be possible with ours??

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #564
Bourgui

Drives: 1LT/RS, VR, GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Shift as late as possible without hitting the Rev Limiter. The HP/TQ is still higher at 7000 RPM than it is at 4500-5000 RPM, where you will probably hit after a shift.
OK, thanks!
Bourgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #565
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Well, just got back from SEMA so catching up on all these post. I would like to say "hats off" too Rich for running the car down the quarter. From what I hear, may have some tuning issues in the cold. Doesn't sound like Rich data logged for Trifecta at WOT (I ran through the gears for my data logs). My rev limiter hits at 7,000 but Trifecta can change that if you prefer. I hit my rev limiter several times already and asked to leave the limiter on until we are completely done with the final tuning. Although when I do hit the limiter, I don't have the dramatic shut-off that was reported by Rich and others. When we AutoX, we routinely ride the limiter as opposed to shifting.

Rich sounds like he had traction problems, which should be fixed with some drag slicks, but his top end problems in 3rd gear seemed more like a tuning issue.

I hope to have some VBOX times as soon as we get all the bugs worked out here. The other day coming back from AutoX I ran to 115 mphs (uphill on the freeway) and the DIC give me a warning "engine power reduced" so I backed off (this was using the base boost). Appears that Trifecta increased the fuel rail pressure but not the fuel pump output so ran out gas. The point being is since no one is out testing these cars, we don't know where are the problems are until we hit them. I am glad that most of the post in this thread has been positive and contructive.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #566
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
Your right, even spinning the tires, 1st and 2nd I jumped out ahead about a car length each gear, then something went amiss. Take notice of the exhaust. I had hit the limiter and it wouldn't recover. I will be working on it. I feel as I have said the potential is there, I just have to get it all to come together.

Oh, you have a nice color on your car! LOL
Alright..so it all makes sense then. The loss of traction, plus the car shutting down for a moment after hitting the limiter is definitely enough to destroy a quarter mile run.

So on that thought...I'm thinking that an auto equipped STS V6 would maybe be the easiest to get fast times out of? It would eliminate the issue of hitting the limiter I'm guessing if left in sport mode...but manual mode could cause the same issues....hrrmmmm. You'd also not lose so much boost between shifts. That said, I think getting mid to low 13s should be easily doable in an auto STS equipped car.....wouldn't you think???

Oh, and Aqua Blue Metallic for the WIN!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #567
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Alright..so it all makes sense then. The loss of traction, plus the car shutting down for a moment after hitting the limiter is definitely enough to destroy a quarter mile run.

So on that thought...I'm thinking that an auto equipped STS V6 would maybe be the easiest to get fast times out of? It would eliminate the issue of hitting the limiter I'm guessing if left in sport mode...but manual mode could cause the same issues....hrrmmmm. You'd also not lose so much boost between shifts. That said, I think getting mid to low 13s should be easily doable in an auto STS equipped car.....wouldn't you think???

Oh, and Aqua Blue Metallic for the WIN!!!!!!!!!! lol
Well... considering ROD1 is running mid-12s with only a 100 shot, a turbo car should be in the 12s...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #568
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Well... considering ROD1 is running mid-12s with only a 100 shot, a turbo car should be in the 12s...
Is Rod1's Camaro an auto? (prolly should know this but I don't)
Edit: Nevermind found answer to my question.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.

Last edited by SIXJAK; 11-10-2010 at 01:24 AM.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #569
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
KM had a guy offer me $27k for mine, just can't think of getting rid of that color, lol
Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #570
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
KM had a guy offer me $27k for mine, just can't think of getting rid of that color, lol
lol sweet! Makes ya feel good doesn't it? Yeah, I've only seen one other ABM here.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #571
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
For someone that has a STS kit, or has pictures of one, can you post a picture of the STS tips.

I heard they stick out farther than stock if you don't shorten them.

Are they packaged longer than stock in case you have ground effects or something that would require the increased length or is there a specific reason they need to be longer than stock?
MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #572
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
Another STS Install

Hey all,

I am in the process of getting the STS Kit installed. All the hardware has been installed, but it is not quite done yet. The only thing that my installer and I did not like is how far the STS tips stick out.

Do you think my installer installed it incorrectly or STS designed it this way? I know it's sort of hard to tell from these cell phone pic, but it sticks out about 4 to 5 inches farther out than the stock tips.

MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #573
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
A little too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
Hey all,

I am in the process of getting the STS Kit installed. All the hardware has been installed, but it is not quite done yet. The only thing that my installer and I did not like is how far the STS tips stick out.

Do you think my installer installed it incorrectly or STS designed it this way? I know it's sort of hard to tell from these cell phone pic, but it sticks out about 4 to 5 inches farther out than the stock tips.

From your picture they appear to be a little to long.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #574
unrestrictedmotorsports

Drives: 2011 Comp 6 Turbo
The tips are adjustible. just slide them in and then weld them. You can also cut the pipe that comes off the turbo that the holds the tip since you dont need to have the tip overlapping the pipe too much.
unrestrictedmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote