Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
danrc28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black on Black
Get a aftermarket exhaust if getting STS T/C in future?

Hey so I was just about to purchase a new catback system when someone told me not to if I was planning on purchasing a remote mounted turbo (saving up to purchase one after my warranty's up). I figured they have to cut the pipes to put in the STS system so it may screw things up? May be a dumb question but I was wondering what would happen and if its worth getting the catback. THANKS!!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
In the remote mounted systems, the air intake is back where your mufflers are now where the turbos will be mounted. It wouldn't make sense to have the intake up front(Where the CAI is), run the piping all the way back to the turbo then all the way back up front to the intake manifold. If you plan on doing it fairly soon, just wait.

The other option is get a CAI now and sell it when you upgrade to the STS system.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
In the remote mounted systems, the air intake is back where your mufflers are now where the turbos will be mounted. It wouldn't make sense to have the intake up front(Where the CAI is), run the piping all the way back to the turbo then all the way back up front to the intake manifold. If you plan on doing it fairly soon, just wait.

The other option is get a CAI now and sell it when you upgrade to the STS system.
isn't he asking about a new catback exhaust? lol

to the OP, I would just save your money. What would happen is, you get the new catback, you would need to take it off and put the stock back on so they can cut it up to fit the turbo.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
hey what about having long tube headers will this make the system not fit right or are these ok and i have a axle back exhaust so i think i shld be fine on tht

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
danrc28

Thanks guys! I already got a CAI, so im assuming im just gonna have to sell that too....unless other options come out for a t/c then im just gunna save up for that sts system and hold off and that cat. Too bad I was soo excited to get that cat asap!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
hey what about having long tube headers will this make the system not fit right or are these ok and i have a axle back exhaust so i think i shld be fine on tht
i believe with a rear mount, the long tubes are fine.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc28 View Post
Hey so I was just about to purchase a new catback system when someone told me not to if I was planning on purchasing a remote mounted turbo (saving up to purchase one after my warranty's up). I figured they have to cut the pipes to put in the STS system so it may screw things up? May be a dumb question but I was wondering what would happen and if its worth getting the catback. THANKS!!
You're right. The STS kit may not match up properly if you install a cat-back.

You could do a muffler delete, though...providing the pipes aren't cut much farther back from the mufflers. That would get you the sound I assume you're after...and it wouldn't break the bank, or mess up any future plans for a remote-turbo system.

Some people don't like the muffler delete though. It's just a thought.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
danrc28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You're right. The STS kit may not match up properly if you install a cat-back.

You could do a muffler delete, though...providing the pipes aren't cut much farther back from the mufflers. That would get you the sound I assume you're after...and it wouldn't break the bank, or mess up any future plans for a remote-turbo system.

Some people don't like the muffler delete though. It's just a thought.

Ill look into the muffler delete, but if ppl dont like it, how about an axle back as an alternative, just until the turbo is installed of course. I was thinking that the swap from axle back to stock may be a bit easier as long as the stock mufflers are kept. however, like you stated the pipes cant be cut back much farther from the mufflers, sooo im thinking that may be an issue?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc28 View Post
Ill look into the muffler delete, but if ppl dont like it, how about an axle back as an alternative, just until the turbo is installed of course. I was thinking that the swap from axle back to stock may be a bit easier as long as the stock mufflers are kept. however, like you stated the pipes cant be cut back much farther from the mufflers, sooo im thinking that may be an issue?
I like the muffler delete. Many do. But some people find it a bit raspy, and others complain about it being a mullet-mod.... Look around the site and you'll find its a relatively common mod.

Give the guys at STS a call, and ask them how far 'forward' the system needs to be cut for the turbos. If they can give you that information, just keep your modifications well 'back' of whatever they tell you.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
i believe with a rear mount, the long tubes are fine.
thats really good for me than b/c i dont wanna get rid of them and if you have a axle back is that still ok or do they have to take that off

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

Someone with the STS kit could answer these better then I can, but i'm under the assumption that the mufflers will be cut off with the STS turbo and is just a straight pipe. So you will lose the axleback muffler.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

ok well thank you for your answers tho

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Wow... i really read that wrong before I posted... thanks for backing me up and giving the OP the answer he was really looking for.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
danrc28

soo, im thinking...

A. I go with the SOLO performance cat back, with free install ($700), and then get it removed and sell it before I get my STS. Only issue, is that im not sure how much it will cost me in labor to switch back to the stock exhaust system, and im not sure how much $$ I can get for a used catback (although probably more than an axleback), not to mention it will be alot more $$$ to ship that much more metal, and thus alot of ppl in the US may not want to buy all the way up in Canada.

B. I can get an axle-back (thinking gibson or flowmaster american thunder), I saw the Gibson for $435... w/ shipping to Canada, probably be about $500 if not more, then I have to pay to get it installed. Im thinking it may come pretty close to the $700 im paying for the SOLO catback with the free install. Only Pro here is that removal will probably be much cheaper, and although it probably wont sell for as much as a used catback, the shipping from Canada will be alot cheaper therefore easier to sell.

I planned to purchase the turbo within the next 1-2 years, soo by then there may be options in terms of non-remote mounted turbos?? If thats the case then the cats would have been the best option...but if things dont look much better for us v6 guys within that time and I have no choice but to get the remote mount turbo and put my stock exhaust back, whats the best option in your opinion???