Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
nitrorcr1787

Drives: 2012 2SS
The cuffs might have been put on because of DUI. Again here in Joisey I can have one beer, not be drunk, get pulled over and checked. If I blow below the legal limit, but still have it in my system, I get a DUI, if I have six beers, and hit above the legal limit, I get a DWI. Either way I am getting cuffed. But the way the trooper tore through everything in the car is wrong. Even going and tearing up your friends smokes. If he were to claim he smelled weed in the car, he might have the cause to check the passengers belongings, he gave no such warning on that. It's not like you can stash a beer in a cig. pack.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Blehner

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
They have to be reflective, and the tint makes them non-reflective
And just feel fortunate that the first 3 cops didn't cite you for the tint. Just because 3 cops don't give you a ticket, don't mean its legal.
He pulled you over expecting a dui, you were drinking but not drunk. He was probably pissed you were drinking and also pissed he couldn't get you for a dui. The smell of alcohol gives him the reason to search, (not destroy your property tho). The moral of this story is, don't drink and drive.
If you go to court and say, look, I have illegal tint on my car but 3 cops let me slide and then this guy comes along and has the nerve to cite me for tint when I was drinking and driving with 2 buddies in my car, how dare he. You will get to pay the ticket AND court costs, and look stoopid.
First off It was 1 O'clock the morning after a night downtown. I didn't feel drunk or anything woke up and even got breakfast. I did not have a drinking for 12 hours post blowing.
Blehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blehner View Post
First off It was 1 O'clock the morning after a night downtown. I didn't feel drunk or anything woke up and even got breakfast. I did not have a drinking for 12 hours post blowing.
OH. my bad. I thought it was 1 a.m. the night of drinking; that's what 1 in the morning is. I guess you meant 1 in the afternoon. Im confused. Still taking it to court is a bad idea.
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe

Ok, here's how this works...at least in Texas.

1. Tinted headlights and tail lights are illegal and give the officer reason to stop you. You can take it to court, you will lose. The end.

2. If the officer smells alcohol on you and you even admit in your story you had been drinking but still under the limit, you now give the officer probable cause to search your vehicle for open containers, etc. They need to make sure you aren't sipping on a bottle driving down the road. And they should do that.

3. You were handcuffed for your safety and the safety of the officer. The moment you smelt like alcohol this was done because some intoxicated drivers turn real ugly real quick. You have to remember, the cop doesn't know you or your personality. It's a safety issue.

4. The citation for the lights, as earlier stated, is a fight you will lose. Depending on your state, the 2 mph over MAY be disputed....but here in Texas they instituted zero tolerance laws when the speed limit increased from 65 to 70. So at 71 you may receive a citation.

Harsh? Yeah. But I fail to see your problem. No excessive force was used....no violation of code that I can see.

Remember, the police are there to save your ass...not kiss it. Seems cut and dry to me.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Handcuffs me and gives me a breathalyzer, because he smelt alcohol on me, granted it was 1 P.M. the morning after going to the bars. Blew under the legal limit, then proceeds to ask me who's car I am driving..
This confused me; 1 p.m. is afternoon. and 1 in the morning is dui hour. Maybe you're on rockstar time where 4 p.m. is still morning

Still, don't take it to court.
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Blehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 6 View Post

Ok, here's how this works...at least in Texas.

1. Tinted headlights and tail lights are illegal and give the officer reason to stop you. You can take it to court, you will lose. The end.

2. If the officer smells alcohol on you and you even admit in your story you had been drinking but still under the limit, you now give the officer probable cause to search your vehicle for open containers, etc. They need to make sure you aren't sipping on a bottle driving down the road. And they should do that.

3. You were handcuffed for your safety and the safety of the officer. The moment you smelt like alcohol this was done because some intoxicated drivers turn real ugly real quick. You have to rememver, the cop doesn't know you or your personality. It's a safety issue.

4. The citation for the lights, as earlier stated, is a fight you will lose. Depending on gour sgate, the 2 mph over MAY be disputed....but here in Texas they instituted zero tolerance laws when the speed limit increased from 65 to 70. So at 71 you may receive a citation.

Harsh? Yeah. But I fail to see your problem. No excessive force was used....no violation of code that I can see.

Remember, the police are there to save your ass...not kiss it. Seems cut and dry to me.
Thanks for the post. Put a lot to rest there
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Blehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
This confused me; 1 p.m. is afternoon. and 1 in the morning is dui hour. Maybe you're on rockstar time where 4 p.m. is still morning

Still, don't take it to court.
I'd rather take a speeding and illegal tint then the DUI.. If I got one of those I'd lose my car for sure
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
You will lose. And you set yourself up to be pulled over in the 1rst place, fortunate other LEOs let you off the hook. But eventually your luck wears out.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #23
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Your car was tossed because the LEO was looking for open alcoholic beverage containers.
Your HBD condition gave the LEO probable cause to do so.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Thanks for the post. Put a lot to rest there
You're welcome.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
I dunno man. As soon as I saw pics of you tail light tint, I understood why a picky cop with not much better to do would come after you. And headlight tint is pretty unnecessary too IMO. The camaro headlights are hidden up in the grill kinda, I wouldn't ever bother tinting mine.

I agree he treated you like crap. Cop treated me like crap as well not long ago.

But I don't think you'll win in court. If anything it will probably cost you time and money.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
CamaroVision

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT/RS
aware
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
It's really hard to believe all this was done without any kind of backup. Normally after seeing three persons in a car, a backup LEO would have been dispatched.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #28
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
Not trying to be controversial but I would like to hear the LEO's side of the story.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote